Reload this Page >

Any cheap lodging in Iceland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:10 AM
snorkelman

If I fly iceland Air and take a few days as a layover in the capital, I have heard horror stories about how expensive Iceland is. Does anyone have any suggestions as to quality inexpensive lodging? By inexpensive, i am shoting for less than $40 per night.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance, <BR>Dave<BR><BR>[email protected]

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:36 AM
john

i see that there were several replys when the guy asked about the most expensive, fanciest hotels in Reykjavik, but when someone asks about budget lodging - not a single reply. Makes one wonder about whether there is any cheap lodging in iceland.<BR><BR>Personally, i have heard about a Youth Hostel - Njarovikurbraut 52 <BR>Reykjavik ($21US shared dorm, shared bathroom) as well as the Salvation Army Gues House - Kirkjustraeti 2 <BR>IS-101, Reykjavik <BR>$45-$50US single room, shared bath<BR><BR>I challenge others to help out on the budget lodging postings.<BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Don

I tried to outdo Icelandair's air+hotel packages a few summers ago by pricing the local youth hostel, but I could not do better. When airport transfers, transport to and from the city centre, breakfast, etc are considered, you don't come out ahead. Go for Icelandair's cheapest package deal. Currently they are offering their midweek madness package for $339+tax includes airfare and 2 nights lodging. I have not investigated pensiones or guest houses, but that might be a viable and inexpensive option as well.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Amy

I've had pretty good luck with Icelandair's packages as well, but there are many guesthouses and a youth hostel that's not too badly located. In the summer, there are farms and school dorm accomodations as well. Check for websites; sorry I can't help with specifics. While Iceland can be quite expensive, to me it's well worth it! I usually have soup or a hotdog for one of my meals, or buy a picnic from the supermarket, as eating out can also be quite pricey. Have a great trip!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Maribel

snorkelman,<BR>We took the Iceland Air "midweek madness" $299 package in March '99, with air/hotel/buffet brks/transfers/city tour-lecture-video/ booklet of discount coupons for spa treatments/woolens/jeep tours/dining. Even after adding an extra night, pony trekking, snowmobiling, and a private Golden Circle SUV tour for 2, it still would have been impossible, I think, to match their price by doing our trip independently using the same Iceland Air 3 star hotel (not luxurious but perfectly comfortable, like a good American middle of the road chain hotel-it had a great tour desk and even a spa). <BR><BR>There were two young people on our Boston-Rek. flight whom we dropped off at the Salvation Army Guesthouse. They were doing their own thing and said the S.A. was the cheapest place in town-didn't mention the youth hostel-looks like it's even cheaper.<BR>And I don't know how much they paid for airfare or how many days they were going to stay, but I agree completely with Don. Go with one of Iceland Air's Fly US to Europe with 2 days in Rek. package, if they're available. It's one terrific deal!