Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any Catholic churches in Venice with English Masses? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-catholic-churches-in-venice-with-english-masses-177062/)

Jim Mar 21st, 2002 06:30 AM

Any Catholic churches in Venice with English Masses?

Will be in Venice over a weekend. Are there any Catholic Churches in Venice that have English spoken Mass?

Dayle Mar 21st, 2002 07:09 AM

Hi Jim! I've been to quite a few masses, most in English in US and a couple in Italian in Italy. I'm not Catholic, so please don't take offense, but don't they always say the same thing anyway? I really enjoyed the beautiful, flowing Italian version!

Jim Mar 21st, 2002 08:12 AM

No offense taken. The Catholic Mass is more than just listening to the priest speaking for an hour. The Eucharist is a truly sacred experience, involving six distinct parts of the mass, involving thoughtful prayer, expression of faith and readings, and most importantly Communion of the Lord's body and blood. There is no doubt that I probably could know what was "going on" at any point in time in an Italian mass. However, simply sitting there, and participating in the Eucharist are two widely separate things. Reminds me of the "old days" of Latin mass, when many (perhaps most) Catholics didn't have the faintest idea of what was going one during mass because they were too lazy to try to learn.

elaine Mar 21st, 2002 08:27 AM

I checked www.aguestinvenice.com and I found<BR>Chiesa di SAN ZULIAN<BR>Campo San Zulian - S. Marco - Tel. 041.523.53.83<BR>9.30 (dal 5/V al 29/IX Messa in inglese) - 11.00 - 19.30.<BR>It appears from that the mass in English is only from May 5 to Sept 29, but you might want to have your hotel check when you get there.<BR><BR>I do realize that this is not the same thing, but I thought perhaps you'd be interested to know that in Campo San Vio (Dorsoduro) which I believe is the only Campo facing directly onto the Grand Canal, you will find St. George's church, an English-speaking Anglican church; the building has been there over 400 years. They have sung Matins occasionally.<BR>

Eileen Mar 21st, 2002 06:04 PM

Jim, one of the most memorable experiences of our trip to Italy was attending Mass at St. Mark's. If you go, plan to arrive about 8:30am, Mass is at 9am. Look for an entrance on the the left side, and if asked, say that you want to attend Mass. After Mass you have about 20 minutes with almost no people inside and you will be first in line to see the Pala d'Oro and the Treasury. You might want to double-check on the Mass time as we went last year on a weekday. Please don't miss this opportunity in favor of an English Mass!

ttt Mar 24th, 2002 11:59 AM

ttt

Kay Mar 24th, 2002 06:33 PM

I went to an Italian Mass in Florence and Rome during the holy year, and would recommend that you stick with your plan to go to an English speaking Mass. It's hard to be involved when you don't understand the language.