Any Amsterdam Restaurant Suggestions?

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Amsterdam Restaurant Suggestions?

Will be visiting soon -- would like to try some good, local/regional cuisine and interesting restaurants. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:54 AM

In De Waag. It's in the city center in an old weighing station. Great food, not too expensive. We had a ball there.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:57 AM

Aha, my favorite topic! Not all regional cuisine, but my favorites in Amsterdam. For a upscale, traditionally Dutch restaurant, D' VIJFF VLIEGHEN (translates to Five Flies), two canal houses connected together to form a lovely old building with tables in rooms throughout. Argentenian Beef restaurants abound around the city. My favorite is El Rancho on Spui, close to Damracht (fabulous barbequed meet -but my favorite is the grilled salmon). Be sure to treat yourself to Indonesian Rice Table. I like Sarang Mas, on Damracht.... 17 little bowls of tasty delights!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:35 AM

Here goes ...

Van Vlanderen - has 1 Michelen star, but is not at all uptight and the food is delish!! The "menu" is not too pricey

Hostaria - small, wonderful Italian in the Jordaan

Jean Jean - small place in the Jordaan which gets rave reviews

Sorry - my brain is dead!

Look at Specialbite.nl - although they can be extra harsh on some choices, they tend to be reliable

Eet smakkelijk!!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:27 AM

One thing you really have to try when in Amsterdam is one of the Indonesian restaurants, with their delicious rijsttafel ('rice table') with lots of different small very tasty dishes of meat and vegetables. The small family places are often the best: try restaurant Kartika on the Overtoom, or Skrikandi on the Stadhouderskade close to the Rijksmuseum. Smakelijk eten!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM

Addition to my previous post: another (non-Indonesian) restaurant recommended by my sister who lives in Amsterdam is Zuid-Zeeland on the Herengracht.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM

We had a good, memorable meal and evening at a canalside restaurant called ZINC or something with that word in it. Not much help, but do a search for zinc and I am sure you will get it. It is Normandy French influenced. Great calvados.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Grayci,
Here are some of my notes from a recent Amsterdam trip. I stayed for almost a week and ate very well - and, fortunately, walked a lot to balance things out!

The first two are in the Canal Ring area, near the Jordaan, the third is closer to Rembrandtplein.

De Luwte - Address, Leliegracht 26
Continental, very seasonal fare.
Good wine list, very nice staff.
Had a raspberry bavarois for dessert which was worth every calorie.

Lieve - Address, Herengracht 88
Belgian restaurant - traditional Belgian fare, but updated to be fresher and lighter. Warm goat cheese souffle on a bed of spring greens was delicious.

Sluizer - Address, Utrechtsestraat 44/45
Good, dependable seafood place. If it's closed, or doesn't appeal to you, no worries - Utrechtsestraat is wall to wall restaurants for several blocks.