Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Any advice on what to do around "Spanish Steps"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/any-advice-on-what-to-do-around-spanish-steps-620673/)

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 12:44 AM

Any advice on what to do around "Spanish Steps"?

I went for the first time last year. And hubby and I did a lot of the "touristy stuff". The Vatican, Pantheon, Trastevere(just once!)Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, went down to Naples, Positano, Florence and Venice. So we did a lot in only a couple of days. Now I'll be there by myself for two days and I just want to "be in the moment" pretty much. I'm afraid I'll get the bug of wanting to sightsee still though. Is there anything else I should see? Do you know of any good stores with good prices?? Did you visit any cozy nice restaurants? I'm trying to find an affordable hotel close to the "Spanish Steps" so that I don't have to take the subway/bus late at night. I'd like to just stay put where I'm going to stay pretty much and hope there's enough to see and do in that area? Is it more expensive to stay around Spanish Steps than Termini?

Grinisa Jun 4th, 2006 06:02 AM

Generally, the hotels around the Spanish Steps are more expensive than the Termini area. There isn't that much to see in the neighborhood other than a few churches (San Andrea delle Fratte has a Bernini angel and Santa Maria del Popolo has works by Caravaggio and Raphael). The Borghese Gardens are close by. Restaurants worth trying are Buca di Ripetta, Otello della Concordia and Fiaschetteria Beltrame. Stores are very upscale but one I visit frequently is Armando Rioda on Via Belsiana for exceptional leather goods at great prices.

MaureenB Jun 4th, 2006 07:37 AM

Our hotel was near the Spanish Steps-- the Domus Julia or it's nextdoor sister property, the Hotel Julia. Good location, nice-looking rooms, good rates, very clean, hot and cold breakfast buffet included. Not luxurious, but very good for the price in Rome. We paid 170 EUR for a double/twin room last month. If you click on my name and find my Rome trip report, you will find restaurants and other hotels we liked there.
I'm sure you know that very high-end shopping is near the Spanish Steps, at via Condotti (I totally massacred that spelling!).
Have fun!

TheVagabondLady Jun 4th, 2006 07:46 AM

My neice went to Rome last month and the pictures show the fountain at the Spanish Steps is under construction. I don't know if it still is but she said it was a bit of a mess around there.

Just thought I would mention it.

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info! I thought it would be more to do around there. So would you prefer to stay in the Termini area or around Spanish Steps?
What is closest to Trastevere and Colosseum?

lenox236 Jun 4th, 2006 08:07 AM

Schookies - what is the deal with your posts? You seem to do absolutely no research before posting and ask rather inane questions.

Mimar Jun 4th, 2006 08:14 AM

How about the area around the Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori? That area is well-located and has some inexpensive hotels. That's a better choice than around the Stazione Termini. And there are too many tourists around the Spanish Steps. Ditto the Trevi Fountain. So many that it would slow you down getting to and from your hotel.

So did you see all of the Vatican Museum last time? Did you go on the Scavi tour and see the gardens? How about the Borghese Gallery? I'd like to go out the Via Appia and tour a catacomb or two.

Assuming you want to do some sightseeing, you might want to hook up with a group tour like Context: Rome.

In several trips to Rome, I've used very little public transportation. If you get a centrally-located hotel, you don't need it.

schnookies Jun 4th, 2006 05:04 PM

Lenox236:Uhmm, that's why I thought you'd come here.....to get some answers! Why do YOU come here if I may ask???