Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reservations for Italy Museums, Sights, etc?

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Venice, Florence and Rome next week and am wondering what museum, sights, etc. reservations we should make from home (USA) and what reservations should we make when we get there. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 12:59 PM
ira

Hi rob,

For Florence, it woould be a good idea to make reservations for the Uffizi and Accademia if you are planning on going to them.

From a previous poster
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 1.60 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:39 PM

You can also make online reservation for a time to enter San Marco Basilica and you might want to go to Borghese Gallery in Rome, which pretty much requires reservations. Sorry, I don't have the websites here, but they should be pretty easy to find (I got addresses from Rick Steves Italy book, but maybe Google is all you need).
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Intrepid

For the Borghese you can reserve a particular time slot without hvaing to pay upfront. We did this for our trip in May but unfortunately our Rome arrival was delayed. We were able to get a time slot for another day through our hotel..but not sure if that is a good idea at this time of year since it is a very popular place.

Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:46 PM

We just got back! My trip report is on here: 2 amazing wks in N/Central Italy.
In Venice the only line we EVER saw was first thing in the morning at St Marks and in Florence when the Duomo first opened. We had reservations late in the day (Saturday) for the Accademia and bypassed a very tiny line. Enjoy-I thought Italy was wonderful, went with high expectations and was not disappointed!
Old Jul 13th, 2003, 04:50 PM

e_roz makes a very good point -- at both the Accademia and the Ufizzi we had reservations but saw no lines. By going in through the "reservations" door, we had to pay 3 Euros extra each -- we could have walked in the regular door and saved quite a bit for the six in our group.