Reload this Page >

Anyone been to Malta

Search

Anyone been to Malta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Linda

Anyone been to Malta

Leaving for Malta in a few weeks. Any must sees, recommendations for restaurants or any useful information. Can hardly find anyone who knows where Malta is, let alone been there!!!!!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 05:46 PM
xxx

There's a guy who used to frequent this board who knew a GREAT deal about Malta. I think his name was Simon -- try the search engine? He was free with his e-mail, so you might be able to e-mail him directly.<BR><BR>I love Malta and am planning a trip there for next year. I'm even further back in my planning stage than you, however, so I doubt I'd be any help!<BR><BR>Good luck and have a WONDERFUL trip! I look forward to reading your report!

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Gar

hi there,<BR><BR>Malta is a great place to do a lot of culture. Dont miss the the ruins of Gigantia (on Gozo, a very easy day trip). They are older then the pyramids in Egypt. Now open again after more then 10 years closed are the old graves "Hal Suflien" (spelling?). It is something like a grave. Both things are on the UNESCO list heritage of mankind. The third thing on this list is the town of La Valetta, the capital. It is nice to get lost there, just walking arround. It is not too big. Make shure doing a little harbour cruise. Also nice is the town of Medina. Beaches? Hm, I dont think anyone goes to Malta for beaching. Dining is very fine (fish for shure), it is a mix of Italy, French and Arabic cuisine. And the wine is cheap ... For going arround take the buses. They run very often and are cheap. Taxi are very expensive. And: Dont miss the festivals. Just ask the tourist office (at the airport or in Valetta). They arent too friendly, but they have a list of the religious festivals which are typical for Malta and a lot of fun. <BR>Gar<BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 10:54 PM
xxx

O.K., just purchased the Lonely Planet guide to Malta, just because it looked like such a great destination, even though I've never been. Lots of info in this book, including detailed history. Did you know, for example, that Napoleon stayed on Malta for six days, just long enough to loot the churches, then lost all the treasure when Admiral Lord Nelson sank the French fleet? Or that as a result of subsequent British colonization, the Maltese today speak English, drive on the left side of the road, and you'll find red phone booths and local pubs galore. And that's just the last 200 years or so of history! The megalithic temples there were built between 3600 and 2500 BC, and the island has since been colonized by Romans, Phoenicians, Arabs, Normans, Knights of St. John, French, and English -- it's now a republic.<BR><BR>Try the Lonely Planet guide, bet you can find it at Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Sorry couldn't help with trip info, but let's hear all about it when you return, OK?<BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 02:45 AM
Lindsey

Hi Linda - I've visited Malta, and the neighbouring island of Gozo, several times over the last few years, mainly in order to scuba dive. I love the place - the food is great, people are welcoming and the history is fascinating. I would definitely recommend the following places to visit:<BR><BR>Valetta - the capital is an attractive city, easy to walk around with attractive gardens and beautiful buildings. For an interesting overview of the island's history, visit The Great Seige visitor attraction, or The Malta Experience, both of which are slick and well packaged. The Co-Cathedral of St John is stunning, and has a beautiful Caravaggio painting which is more than worth the 1 lira entry price! Also, Upper Barraca Gardens has amazing views over the harbour with its walled defences.<BR><BR>Mdina - the 'Silent City' is a fortress town in the centre of the island, where cars are not allowed. It feels like stepping back in time, with ancient walled streets and hidden doorways. Take one of the islands buses - cheap, reliable and definitely a bumpy experience!<BR><BR>Gozo - take a day trip on the ferry to Gozo. The small island has a very different feel to it, and has beautiful towns and churches clustered on the hillside. Also worth a visit is the Azure Window and Inland Sea - a rock formation just off the coast which has created a stunning effect.<BR><BR>St Julians / Paceville / Spinola - this is the most 'touristy' area, and is best for nightlife and restaurants. My favourite is called 'XII' and is on the edge of Spinola Bay.<BR><BR>I hope you love the island too - have a great trip!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:21 PM
gail

We were in Malta for 10 days in '97. We loved it. I've posted a number of messages here, as have other people. Do a search [in case you're not familiar with the process: highlight Malta in the drop down window above, then click "find"] and you should pull up some useful info.<BR>Have fun, and just remember to be careful crossing the streets: the cars come at you from your RIGHT, not your left.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 07:30 PM
PJ

You can contact Alfred Micallef Somerville, Girna Pura Tourism, Malta for any information regarding visiting Malta<BR>http://www.girnapura.com.mt<BR><BR>Alfred has supplied us with an information about Malta and is an official with the tourist office.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Interested

How would Malta be in February or March?What about one week in Malta and one in Sicily? Would two weeks in Malta at that time of year be too much? Thanks

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 06:18 AM
kavey

Lindsey<BR><BR>I wonder if I can butt in and ask you a question.<BR><BR>I have often looked at going to Malta, and wondered where to base myself.<BR><BR>My husband and I like good food, with lots of choice, strolling around a nice town, and being able to sightsee easily.<BR><BR>Would Valetta be the best place?<BR><BR>Someone suggested Sliema to me, as it seems to be where the bus hub is, but I was thinking Valetta looked more pleasant?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Linda

Since we leave in a few weeks, I cannot speak from experience but we will be staying in St. Julians and have friends who will be staying in Qwara. I should have a good feel for both locations when we return in early March.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Sidley

Evidently,Malta is a fabulous destination. Can't wait to go in April. But I'm confused about where to book...<BR>trying to find a small, comfy hotel in Valetta for aboout 50.00 Euros per night. Is this too chinzy to ask for...<BR>or perhaps more realistic advise.<BR>Many Thanks,<BR>Sidley

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:26 AM
James

What is the weather like in early April? We will going to Malta from germany so we need some sun!<BR><BR>Anybody stayed at the Grand Hotel Mecure Coralia San Antonio?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 02:27 AM
James

What is the weather like in early April? We will going to Malta from germany so we need some sun!<BR><BR>Anybody stayed at the Grand Hotel Mecure Coralia San Antonio?

Old May 19th, 2002, 12:46 PM
roy

Hi there <BR>Went to Malta last year, and though it was one of the ugliest places I have ever visited. The people there were very friendly though, so that made up for a disappointing holiday. There were no beaches to speak of, and the resorts were a hotch-botch ugliness and building sites (more ugliness beiang build I suppose) would not go there again if you paid me<BR>Still thats only my opinion, I hope anyone who goes there has a good time&gt; <BR>

Old May 19th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Lillie Harty

I went to Malta for a week in April and would give it about 4 out of 10.It is a small,overcrowded,quite poor island with a great deal of history.The roads are the worst I have seen outside of Africa and the buses were like you see in Bing Crosbie films.The weather so so when we were there.I liked the smaller island-Gozo- though.Church architecture is good and the people speak English.Overall not a patch on Italy which is less than a hundred miles away.