Any advice on a day trip to Morroco from [email protected]

Apr 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Any advice on a day trip to Morroco from [email protected]

We will be in Malaga, and want to go to Morroco for the day. Any advice on a tour company with a package, or other way to go easily?
Apr 18th, 2007, 06:22 PM

A pretty common route is ferry over Tangier from Algeciras. You will go to Tangier, a dirty, borderline disgusting town; you will not experience Morocco. IF you still choose to go to Tangier, do NOT even think on doing this by yourselves, take an organized tour and make sure they are PLENTY people around you. Watch your money, do not take disply money out in the markets. If I sound like am trying to talk you out of it....well, I most definitely am.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:34 AM

While Viajero's advice about going to Tangier is a bit histrionic, what he is essentially is saying is correct, Tangier isn't a day trip kind of town. Either go and plan on spending at least several days in the country where you could go see more appealing places such as Chefchaouen or Fes, or don't go at all. You've been warned!
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I have heard wonderful things about Morroco I personally have only been to Tanjier for a 1 day trip. We went with a group which included a tour and lunch. It was September. We traveled on a large ferry in some very choppy waters, although it was quite warm once there. On the way back to Spain, due to the choppy waters and heat, 75% of the passengers on the ferry (locals & tourists) became violently ill for the duration of the voyage.

Don't even picture it.

I subsequently was told that Morroco needs more time than 1 day. A trip to Tanjier to see Morroco is like basing Mexico on Tijuana. If you do go be sure it is not during the hottest months...
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Take the hyrofoil from Algeciras to Tangier, much faster and the crowd is much less but of sourse more expensive. Also I was a a high school kid going to school in southern Spain in 1971. Our soccer team went to Morocco to play another high school team (U.S. Navy base). On the way back we waited for the ferry in Tangiers, the coach let about 20 boys from age 15-17 wander all over the city for 3-4 hours. I had a buddy that traded 4 cotton dress shirts for souveniers, I made a purchase using Spanish pesatas, swiss francs, american dollars and German marks. I was told the only money the locals would not take was Russian rubles. Thinking back I would not have allowed 20 boys to wander alone like that now. But if you downplay the tourist look, be sensible about money security you would be ok. But the rule of buying is to bargain, if you don't the seller may even feel offended. Cut original offer by a little more than half.
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:46 PM

yes that is true Be ready to have at least one and sometimes two (or more) merchants follow you around inside the shops in Tanjier. They may offer tea and are quite charming, but relentless.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM

I totally agree with Viajero. Don't bother with a day trip to Tangier and save Morrocco for another visit. It's an amazing,wonderful country, and a daytrip just won't do it justice or may even ruin it for you. Skip it until you can go there and get to know it in depth.
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM

An advice on a day trip to Morroco from Spain? Do NOT go!!!