Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

any advice for the most direct route from L.A. to Florence

Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:43 AM
mdv
Original Poster

So far I'm leaning towards a two or three day stay in London to break-up the flight and then Ryanair to Pisa. Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:54 AM

Hi. We took British Air from L.A. to London and then Ryan Air from Stansted to Pisa. Next time we will skip London all together and go for the Air France flight from LAX to Paris and then Paris to Florence/Peretola. Now that Alitalia does not fly out of LA to Italy anymore, we are all forced to get creative. Good luck..
Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:21 AM

I would do LAX to CDG, then on to Florence. To me, that would be most direct.

On our recent trip we weren't originating in L.A., but connected CDG to Florence very easily with Air France. They have several flights a day on that route.

We also took a day in Paris on the return trip to "break it up," and have some down time before returning home. We were very glad we did, too.

Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:15 PM

I am taking the L.A. to C.D. and then Florence, I will be posting a Italy trip report in early Oct. I will include info. on the flight, I hope this will be of some help to you.
Fluffy
Aug 23rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
sandi

mdy -

Instead of spending a few days in London I would suggest you continue onto Pisa. If you don't, it's likely that Ryanair will consider the London/Pisa segment a domestic flight.

Domestic flights intra-Europe have lower weight allowances for your bags. If you're overweight you'll have to pay.

Suggest you check with Ryanair where you stand on a thru-ticket and a domestic flight ticket - what are their weight limits.

Aug 25th, 2003, 06:58 AM
GAC

Yet another alternative is to fly LAX-AMS-FLR on KLM/Meridiana. KLM Code shares with Meridiana from AMS to FLR. I don't think that this is any better than LAX-CDG-FLR on Air France.