Notices

Any advice for an open jaw ticket?

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice for an open jaw ticket?

We're planning on going to Germany and Switzerland next May or June. My husband's mother lives in Biel, Switzerland, and usually we fly into Zurich. This time, however, we're considering flying into Germany first, visiting some family there, and then taking the train to Switzerland. We would fly out of Zurich for the trip home. I've never purchased an open jaw ticket, and I've never booked rail tickets before either. My mother in law usually takes care of all our transportation once we're there if we happen to travel together somewhere else in Switzerland. Are open jaw tickets usually more expensive? I would appreciate any advice on this. Thank you!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Try a practice booking on Travelocity and click on the multiple cities button (or whatever they call it). See what kind of prices they come up with compared to a regular RT ticket.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:10 AM

open jaws tend to be a little more expensive, but, still much better than backtracking your route to fly home from the same airport (both time wise, and money wise)
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:12 AM

What cities will you be visiting in Germany? Frankfurt is usually the cheapest to fly in/out of....but what city in the USA is your hub?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. I have done the open jaw tickets many times and have found the fare to be about the same as flying to /from one of the cities. If one of the cities is more expensive than the other, I think the fare is about halfway between the two. If the open jaw fare is higher, you need consider how much will it cost (money and hassle)
to backtrack to the airport to go home. For me, it was usally worth a little money to save a lot of hassle. Follow the advice of AisleSeat - the websites that I use for comparisons have the multiple city option. Sometimes you have to go the "More Options" page (or whatever they call it) but you should be able to find it. Have fun! You're luck to have family to visit in both countries!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM

I bought an open jaw ticket for nearly the same price as standard RT (Seattle thru London into Geneva, out of Paris thru London Seattle on British Air).

I checked on the internet, but then called the airlines direct on the phone to purchase the ticket.

I've found it somewhat difficult to manuever websites to show the open jaw options (I'm not saying it is not possible, just not as obvious to book as a same city ticket).
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Received 23 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm flying into Vienna and home from Budapest in July/August and got a fare from British Air that was about the same as a roundtrip to either city. Interestingly, I got it cheaper on Travelocity than British Air quoted to me over the phone. As someone mentioned, just click the multi-destination option.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:47 AM

My discovery was that our open jaw tickets were no more expensive than a normal RT ticket.

We were very pleased, I know that long ago this wasn't the case, but now they seem to be very comparable.

Happy journey, Tiff
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:55 AM

I've often found open-jaw tickets to be no more expensive than normal return tickets in/out of the same city.

When I flew open-jaw wih BA (which you can't book on their website), they told me on the phone that an open-jaw prices was just the average of the return flight prices to each of the cities. This was certainly true in my case.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Tracys2cents - my husband's family lives in a small town called Petersburg. I was told Frankfurt was the closest airport, but looking at the map, it may be Stuttgart or Mannheim. I realize they're much smaller, don't know how their prices stack up yet.

Unfortunately, we don't live near a big city...we fly out of Raleigh/Durham. There are hardly ever sales from here! Charlotte is about 3 hours from here.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM
ira

Hi n,

Try http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Raleigh is a really bad city to fly in and out of... But in any event, open jaw will be worth it (I sometimes pay more, but its something like 50$s). Flying to Frankfurt will be much more affordable. I'd price the direct AA flight continuing with BA (which is a codeshare partner). Or Delta thru Atlanta.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I just booked my first open jaw for an upcoming trip to Paris>Venice. We'll fly home from Venice.
The past two trips, we flew in and out of Rome, which meant very long train rides from Venice to Rome. I think the open jaw makes a lot of sense, and even if it is a bit more expensive, it's worth it for the saved time on vacation. I didn't think it was that much more if any in my case. Have a great trip!