Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ANY ADVANTAGE TO BUYING EUROSTAR TICKET AT STATION?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 01:58 PM
Ian G

I'm planning on being in London for Christmas and taking the Eurostar over to Paris for a day. <BR> <BR>Is there any price benefit to buying the ticket at the station, the day before, day of, or once in London, vs. purchasing now. <BR> <BR>Also, are the tickets ALWAYS time specific. If I leave Waterloo at 7:30 a.m., can I return to London from Paris at any time that same day?

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Holly

The advantage of buying there is that you don't have to worry about getting a refund if you decide to cancel your trip.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Myriam

Train ride from Waterloo Station to Paris Gare du Nord takes 3 hours. You loose one hour when going to Paris (France is one hour ahead), so if you leave at 7:30 London time you will arrive only at 11:30 Paris time. Tickets ARE always time specific. <BR>For timetables see http://www.eurostar.com

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Arnie

Bought Eurostar tickets over the net and it was very easy. The downside, in addition to you cancelling your trip, is the usual risk of a rail strike on the day your holding a ticket. There is no price difference. I wonder if a train could sell out during a holiday time when you are going making it better to buy in advance? It's a tough call.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Sonya

I'm wondering the same. We're about 2 months away from the same trip and have read on this board and others that it is best to call Eurostar directly at least 14 days in advance for the best rate. Does anyone know if better rates <BR>are available 60 days in advance? Thanks

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:17 AM
Phyllis Stein

I think I can answer your question, Sonya. I've just purchased Eurostar tickets for early December over the phone, and the REALLY low fares were already sold out for the date I wanted. <BR> <BR>I still got a great price though, and the whole process was a piece of cake. If you know your travel dates, you might want to book now. The fare I have is nonrefundable, however, so if for some reason I don't make the trip, I accept I'll have to kiss that money goodbye. On the other hand, with roundtrip tickets at around $100 apiece, I'm very happy to have them ahead of time. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 07:14 AM
maryanne

the first time on chunnel I bought tickets over the phone. this time in January we went to waterloo station got first class tickets for a sunday (cheaper on weekends) the lady said for 138 dollars RT wonderful meal with wine. and took the last train back to London big mistake...the tube doesn't line up it's times with the Eurostar <BR>but we made the last tube train don't make our mistake get the next to last leaving Paris. <BR>hope this helps <BR> <BR>Maryanne <BR> <BR>