Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Antique maps of Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/antique-maps-of-italy-702055/)

Leilei May 2nd, 2007 07:51 PM

Antique maps of Italy

Hello,
When my husband and I were in Paris last Dec. we purchased a wonderful antique map. We will be leaving for Italy in less than 2 weeks =D> does anyone know of an antique map store in Florence, Venice or Rome?
Thanks!

TexasAggie May 2nd, 2007 08:13 PM

There is a shop on the Ponte Rialto in Venice that sells leather-bound books journals, etc. In 2004 when I last visited, they also sold antique maps and sketches. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the shop but I believe it is firmly established (I visited it in 1998, 2002, and 2004) so hopefully it should still be there.

MissPrism May 3rd, 2007 12:09 AM

There's a bookshop in the Calle degli Assassini in Venice that sells second-hand art books.
I think that they may have maps.

ekscrunchy May 3rd, 2007 03:34 AM

Facing the Pantheon, look to your left. Within that row of stores, south of the Albergo del Senato Hotel and the Angelo Cenci haberdasher, there is a shop that sells maps and old drawings of Roman sites. Also there are a few along Via di Ripetta near the Piazza del Popolo.

Leilei May 3rd, 2007 03:52 AM

Thanks for the information- hopefully we will add to our map collection.
L

Cimbrone May 3rd, 2007 04:42 AM

Leilei, I remember you asking about where to shop for antique maps in Paris. May I ask where you found your map? Any other recommendations? I'll be returning there in June.

canterbury May 3rd, 2007 04:46 AM

Leilei - I, too, have a question for you if I may squeeze in here.

We bought a couple of antique maps in Belgium last month. I've gotten conflicting information on how to mount and frame them (as far as preserving them with acid-free paper, etc).

Can you give me an idea of how you handled yours? Our maps were made in the 1680's.

Grazie,

c.

Michel_Paris May 3rd, 2007 05:39 AM

Acid-free backing is a must, keep out of sunlight. Also look for glass that blocks/reduces UV.

Grinisa May 3rd, 2007 05:39 AM

I've bought several maps and prints from the store near the Hotel Del Senato in Rome. The prices are reasonable and the owner is a charming gentleman who carefully wraps your purchase so it won't get damaged on the trip home. Another store specializing in antique maps and prints is Nardecchia on Piazza Navona, next to Tre Scalini. They have a good selection of Piranesi prints of Rome but the prices are a bit higher. Also check out the antique book and print market in Piazza Fontanella Borghese near the Spanish Steps and Corso.

Holly_uncasdewar May 3rd, 2007 06:00 AM

The name of the shop on the Rialto bridge in Venice is Rivoaltus.

Leilei May 3rd, 2007 06:51 AM

Thanks for all the additional information.
Cimbrone- yes,we found a map store in Paris, thanks to info provided by fodorites. We bought a beautiful map of Paris dated 1739. The store is Librairie le Bail-weissert,located at 5, Rue Lagrange. After you cross the river at Rue d'Arcade and then cross Quai de Montebello, it will be within the first block on rue legrange. We passed it a couple of times, it will be on your left next to a small souvenir shop.There is a cafe on the corner of rue legrange and quai Montebello. www.lebail-weissert.com

Canterbury- we spent as much on the framing as we did on the map! We used Bradleys in Houston- a wonderful frame shop. The map is hinged at the top to attach it to the matting, not glued, in order to preserve the integrity of the map. Acid free/archival paper was used for the mat.This map was our BIG purchase on the trip to Paris- but what a wonderful souvenir. No Hermes scarf on that trip:-<

lauch May 3rd, 2007 07:06 AM

Good morning.

I cannot remember any names, but I found some great antique map/print stores in the Jewish Ghetto. Check them out - The area is not that busy and you get to see an incredible often overlooked area of Venice. BTW, the shop owner, where I bought my map, was really helpful in pointing out another store to buy silk ties.

canterbury May 3rd, 2007 08:27 AM

Thank you, Michel for your response. I was looking for a little more detail, but I think Leilei is getting close.

Leilei - if you can bear one more question from me on your thread... Is your map hinged using some sort of metal bar or maybe a heavy paper? I'm trying to imagine it but cannot.

I have to find a place that I trust to frame these things and the first two I visited didn't inspire trust.

I also anticipate spending $$$$ on framing - but we are thrilled with these souvenirs!

Leilei May 3rd, 2007 11:48 AM

Canterbury,
You can't tell by looking at the map that is is 'hinged.' It looks just like it was simply matted. The hinge is thin cellophane, similar to what stamp collectors used to use. It just keeps the map in place on the backing w/o being glued down. Why not call Bradleys Frame in Houston( even if you aren't anywhere close) and ask their advice for framing an antique map. We spent about $600 on the framing,but felt it had to be done right.
Good luck!
L

canterbury May 3rd, 2007 12:05 PM

Leilei -

Thank you so much for allowing me to hijack your thread. I apologize.

I understand now what you mean now by the hinge. It makes sense. I actually did go onto Bradley's website and emailed them with questions.

Many thanks, I'm very appreciative.

And have a wonderful time in Italy!!

2010 May 3rd, 2007 12:46 PM

bookmarking