Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Antiparos & Folegandros (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/antiparos-and-folegandros-676890/)

MarkAustin Feb 5th, 2007 07:59 AM

Antiparos & Folegandros

I'm planning a trip for the last two weeks of May 2007 to Greece -- Mykonos, Antiparos, Folegandros and Santorini. The Mykonos and Santorini part I have pretty much worked out, but of course, I'm having difficulties with the more remote Antiparos and Folegandros.

First, has anyone stayed at Oliaros Studios on Antiparos? They look great and the price is right, but they're not in the main town (the website says 10km from town to be exact). I like the remoteness of it and think I want to stay there, but how does one get around the island without a car? Can you rent bikes (non-motor) in the main town?

Second question: I'm trying to choose between Anemomilos Apartments on Folegandros and Fata Morgana. Does one have specific advantages over the other? Morgana is cheaper and seems similar to Anemomilos, but I'm willing to spend a bit more if it's worth it.

And I've been reading through all the ferry postings and I know it's too early to get schedules for May right now, but does anyone have any idea how often boats run from Paros to Folegandros in mid-to-late May? It it just twice a week? And on what days, based on last year, I guess? And what days/frequency from Folegandros-Santorini?

I'm trying to keep plans somewhat flexible, but I do like to plan ahead as much as possible -- I'm finding that may be an impossibility in Greece, though!

cristine27 Feb 5th, 2007 08:31 AM

Hello Mark,
both hotels that you mentioned in Folegandros are very nice! I think i would choose Anemomilos apartments. I can't tell you exactly why.. but i think that the 'blue' rooms must have spectacular views!! On the other hand Fata morgana is much cheaper..
But if you have the money for Anemomilos then i would suggest you to stay there!!

Heimdall Feb 5th, 2007 01:38 PM

I seem to be having trouble posting when previewing my replies, so please excuse any typos.

First of all, Antiparos isn't remote - it's only a 10 min ferry ride from Pounta on Paros, quicker to reach than some parts of Paros itself.

Oliaros Studios is located at Agios Georgios, the opposite end of the island from Antiparos village. The area is mostly private villas, with a good beach and a few tavernas. You can rent a bike on the island, but I wouldn't want to do the 10km ride very often. As long as you are self sufficient and don't crave any nightlife, you should be fine without a car.

I go to Antiparos every year, but plan to visit Folegandros myself in late May. From what I have seen so far, there are two or three ferries per week doing the route between Milos and Santorini, stopping at Folegandros on the way. You could check out last year's May sailings on Open Seas http://tinyurl.com/3axh5d. This is a vey useful website discovered by brotherleelove. You can go back to May 2006 to see what is likely to be sailing in May this year.

Retsina Feb 5th, 2007 06:58 PM

Antiparos is not remote at all, it is very busy these days, the ferries are frequent from Paroikia and Pounta. There are bus services to the south end of Antiparos to Ag. Georgios but there there's no reason to stay at that end of the island. Most accomodation/beaches/tavernas etc are in the main village. You can definately hire bikes on the island.
You can't guarantee any direct connection from Paros to Folegandros in May never mind what days, I have been on Paros when the connection dissappeared (would have to go via Santorini).
The same applies to Folegandros-Santorini. Both these are 'cross routes' so you will have to have flexibility, no problem in May.
The Openseas site is no use at all for these connections at moment at least.
Some ferry companies are not in it.
On either island finding simple accomodation on arrival is no problem. They are so small you can see all what's available in an hour.

Gaspard Feb 5th, 2007 08:25 PM

Cornelia and Andreas Patelis´ blue line studios are beautiful. We stayed there a couple of years ago and they still send us a Christmas card every year. Ask for room 15 with a breathtaking view.
G.

Heimdall Feb 6th, 2007 12:14 AM

The bus service on Antiparos Retsina mentions runs only in the morning and early aternoon in May, with nothing at night whatsoever. In case it escaped you, I was being facetious when I said you would be fine without a car as long as you didn't crave any nightlife b(.

I don't agree that the Open Seas website is "no use at all for these connections at moment at least." Any information is better than none at all, though I wouldn't make any firm plans or hotel reservations based on it. I also use the timetables in Greek Island Hopping (the 2007 edition is out in the UK) to make rough plans until the new ferry schedule for May comes out later this year.

There aren't any "direct" ferry connections between Antiparos and Folegandros, as far as I know. You either take the once or twice a week ferry to Sifnos, and connect there, or go to Santorini and wait for the ferry that stops at Folegandros.

MarkAustin Feb 6th, 2007 01:47 AM

Hmmm... Thanks for the all the info everyone, but now I'm a bit more confused.

I thought Paros (or maybe Naxos) were how you get to Folegandros. Originally I had just planned on Mykonos, Folegandros, Santorini, but included Antiparos only because I thought I had to go via Paros to get from Mykonos to Folegandros anyway. If it's true that there are no direct boats from Paros, I may just cut this out of my itinerary.

Maybe my question should be: what's the best way to get from Mykonos to Folegandros in May? I still wouldn't mind going to Antiparos, but not at the expense of complicating my trip to Folegandros.

Also, regarding nightlife in Antiparos, I'm not really looking for any, so I think being on the other side of the island should suit me ok. I'm not much of a nightlife person and I think I'll get enough of a dose on Mykonos -- I was looking forward to the peace and quiet of other islands. A 10km bike ride doesn't sound too bad either (I live in the Netherlands!) but are there things to do or see on the other side of the island so I won't have to trek into town each day or is it just a beach and not much else?

MarkAustin Feb 6th, 2007 02:01 AM

Also, that Open Seas website makes me a bit nervous, because looking back at the 2006 schedules, I can't seem to find any results whatsoever for mid-May; only the end of May. Does that mean there were no boats in mid-May last year traveling from Paros? That doesn't seem possible.

Heimdall Feb 6th, 2007 02:11 AM

Mark, to get from Mykonos to Folegandros, as far as I can tell so far, the best way would be to take the Flying Cat 4 http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/ directly to Santorini and wait for the Folegandros ferry there. When the May timetables come out you should know the days ferries leave Santorini for Folegandros.

Should you choose to stop at Antiparos anyway, you could still take the Flying Cat 4 to Paros, then any of the many ferries that stop at Paros on the way to Santorini. Even though you are used to cycling I still wouldn't recommend staying in Ag Georgios. There are a few things to see around there, though. The cave is nearby, and sometimes you can get a boat from there to uninhabited Despotiko. You can also cycle to Soros and some beautiful seldom visited beaches on that end of the island. But Antiparos village is quiet enough in May, and it's nice to be able to walk to the supermarket or a cafe for breakfast or coffee.

Heimdall Feb 6th, 2007 02:16 AM

We cross-posted. Obviously there are ferries to Folegandros in early May and throughout the year, or the residents would be stranded. As I said, the website & Greek Island Hopping are only good for rough planning. I won't be making my final plans until I get to Greece in May and see the ferry schedule posted on the boards at the ticket agents.

MarkAustin Feb 6th, 2007 04:07 AM

Thanks, Heimdall for your helpful info. One more question: do you always have to go to Folegandros via Santorini? My impression was that you could get there from Paros or Naxos without having to go to Santorini first.

Most of the boats that arrive in Santorini seem to get there too late in the day to make a connection to Folegandros without overnighting.

Judy Feb 6th, 2007 06:20 AM

We stayed at Anemomilos Apartments two years ago.....loved everything about it.

The owners were very helpful regarding scheduling our stay. There are ferries, and unfortunately I cannot remember those details, which have apparently kept the same schedules for years and they were doubtful that they would change.

We made reservations for our stay based on the transportation information they gave us and it worked out well....they even met the ferry and drove us to the apartments.

I'd suggest contacting the managers/owners of the property you;d like to stay at and get their advice regarding access. Have a wonderful trip!

MarkAustin Feb 6th, 2007 07:27 AM

Thanks, Judy. I did contact Amenomilos and Cornelia was very helpful. She told me that there will be two boats in May, on Tuesday and Saturday and that a second boat may be added later, also calling at Folegandros two nights per week.

I did some research at the bookstore as well and see that the boats from Paros and Naxos do in fact go directly to Folegandros (with stops) and go to Santorini afterwards, so that answers my other question.

Thanks everyone for all your help! If anyone has any more info, please pass it along, especially about the accommodations I mentioned in my first post.

Heimdall Feb 6th, 2007 10:52 AM

Mark, I'm glad you got the info you were looking for. That ferry from Paros to Santorini is probably the one I was referring which stops at Sifnos. If it goes on to Folegandros, all the better.

I plan to fly from Athens to Santorini, then pick up the ferry to Folegandros and Milos, stopping for a few days on each before ending up in Antiparos. I am very flexible on itinerary, so may do something completely different if the ferry schedule dictates. All I know for sure at this point is I will end up on Antiparos for a week or ten days at the end of the trip.

cristine27 Feb 8th, 2007 01:14 AM

Mark last year there were two highspeed boats from Piraues to Folegandros. It's the 'line' that continues to Santorini.
I would suggest Piraeus-Folegandros (4hr with highspeed). Then Folegandros-Santorini (1,5hr). Then Santorini-MYkonos and finally Mykonos_Piraues.
Or the opposite:
Piraues-mykonos-santorini-folegandros-piraeus.