Search

anti americans or anti canadians (SARS)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2003, 11:22 AM
ita
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anti americans or anti canadians (SARS)

I need some quick opinions-leaving for France on Monday. Usually never try to identify my nationality when I travel, but this time after reading all the reports on this site, I was planning to wear a Canadian pin. Now, after all the SARS talk about Toronto (I do not live anywhere near there ) I am wondering how Canadians will be received.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I have never been to France, but I have just returned from the Netherlands and Belgium. I saw several "No to War" signs (in Dutch), but not nearly as many as I saw last year in Vienna (during the war in Afghanistan). A Dutch man sitting in front of my daughter and me on the train asked us if we were Americans. When we said yes, he wished a great vacation.

At a store in Brussels, a woman noticed a magazine cover about the war, and began to express herself excitedly to her friend. I don't speak French, but I assume that she was not in favor of the liberation of Iraq. Nonetheless, her excitement was not directed at me (I had not spoken a word, and was skimming through Der Spiegel at the time).
I think that this fear of anti-Americanism is overblown. Most people will be very nice to you, a few won't be. But if you have ever visited a big American city, you have experienced much worse already.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I would be embarrassed to know you if you pretend that you were a Canadien. Be the nice American that all should be. The French hate our goverment , not us. I have many friends in France and they áre anxious for us to return. People who post those nasty things have not spent time there or were rude to get rude responses. Hey, I can get rude behavior here in my own location. There are rudies all over the world.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM

I have been in Geneva, Paris, Rome and Venice in the past 6 months (the last during the Iraq war) and while it was obvious there was no support for Bush or the war (none from me either), I experienced no unpleasant attitudes toward me anywhere. Tourism is a major industry in Europe and, if anything, they are upset that fewer Americans are visiting. Wearing a Canadian pin is silly unless you're Canadian.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 12:51 PM
ita
Original Poster

I am a Canadian, but of course I am usually thought to be American. My question was at this time is it better to be thought to be American or to identify myself as Canadian (SARS)
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
As Sammy Davis Jr. would sing, "I Gotta Be Me." Just be a Canadian, eh. If people think you have SARS or are worried that you have SARS just because you're a Canadian, they're ignorant. So I wouldn't worry.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I suppose you could carry 3 pins. An American flag,a maple leaf and a Fleur de lis from Quebec and switch on and off depending on the situaion!

Maitaittom has the best advice.
Just be you, eh!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Another vote for being yourself. 99.9% of Europeans distinguish pretty well between the US government and the American people.... you'll have no problems.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Remember, there were millions of German people who were not guilty of the killing done during WWII. Most of the guilt lay with the leaders and followers. The guilt of the majority was their silence.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I am really struggling with any attitude that any nationality is better than another. If they think you're American, and automatically have a problem with that, then they are the ones with the problem. If they think you are Canadian, and automatically have a problem with that, then ditto. What is up with all this nationalistic arrogance and stereotyping? Hasn't that gotten the world into a lot of trouble before? Be yourself!!!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Personally, I have to say, that if I had this much worry about what people in Europe thought of me, Canadian or American, I would stay home.
If this is all it takes to pretend you are not an American, why do you want to go there?
About SARS...I believe that it was in Mexico that people from Canada were not allowed off of a cruise ship because of the fear they might bring SARS..so I think you should just go and be yourself.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:38 PM

ita, I just read this again and I am confused...are you Canadian or American?
My head is spinning with all these plans to pretend to be other nationalities!
If you are Canadian, then why not just go without a pin!
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 02:51 PM
ita
Original Poster

Scarlett-if I go without a pin I am considered to be an American, which I really don't mind, but if I am a Canadian why shouldn't I be identified as one. I would like to know if any of you Americans would like to be called a Canadian. I won't stay home and I think a lot of Americans need to get a sense of humour (note the spelling).
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:04 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but in all the times that I have been in Europe, I have never needed a pin to identify my origins. If I spoke to someone and they asked where I was from, I would say NY.
When I travel, where I am coming from is really not an issue, it is mostly about where I am going.
Travelers don't need to wear anything to announce where they are from.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:05 PM

ita,

If you want people to know what country you're from, wear a pin, patch, whatever. If you don't or don't care, just wear whatever you wear at home during similar weather.

Honestly, no matter if people know where you're from or are only guessing, they're still going to think things about you that may not be very nice. Lots of people like to carry around these preconcieved notions about what people, nationalities, races, etc are supposed to be.

Honestly, if you met someone from central Africa who was touring your home town, would your first thought be that they might be carrying malaria? I bet you wouldn't. Well, that's true of *most* people anywhere. But I bet you know a few nitwits who do think that way and we both know how wrong they are. You know you don't have SARS.

Don't set yourself up to be responsible for what the ill-informed of the world might think. No matter how hard you try, you can't win against that mindset. Just focus on what you came to do and enjoy yourself. Let "them" wallow in whatever it is that drives them. After all, *you* know what you are and what you're not.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:06 PM

I guess I really don't see what difference it makes if a total stranger thinks you are American and in actuality you are Canadian, or vice versa. That stranger "should" treat you the same way (politely) no matter what, just as you should treat them that way as well.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:12 PM

ita,
1- I missed the part about a sense of humor/humour...did someone say something funny?
2- I still miss your point about needing a pin or flag or sign to show people where you are from.
When my husband and I are in France, they always think he is French. I look English or Dutch..this has never bothered us. When we speak, they know us as Americans but we have never had one occassion where anyone said anything about being American! Someone did complain about Mrs Clinton to us once though.
Since you are asking for quick opinions, I will give you mine.
There are so many more fun and entertaining things to think/plan/worry about when taking a trip. Telling the world that you are Canadian/not American should not be one of them.
You are probably the only one who really cares that much, the rest of the world really doesn't ..
Have a lovely trip and try to relax.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 03:26 PM

I was in Paris April 3-7 and April 12-13. Once I open my mouth, no one is going to question that I'm an American. And everyone I spoke to was unfailingly helpful and courteous. Why do folks think the French are going to be rude? Paris is a big city, and the inhabitants are busy but they're surpisingly gracious.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 04:31 PM
ita
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. I'll let you know about my exciting trip to France.
Old Apr 26th, 2003, 05:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I think, perchance, it is time for this post to fade away. It can be chronicled as "Much Ado About Nothing." Eh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -