Anti-American feeling in Italy?

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Sheila

Anti-American feeling in Italy?

I was wondering if there have been any demonstrations in Italy like the ones reported in Greece, indicating displeasure with the USA for initiating "anti-terrorist war effort." Are Americans being treated any differently now, or are they welcomed?

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Cheryl Z.

Sheila, we have very good friends visiting No. Italy right now (left about l0 days ago) and just got an email from them this morning from Florence. They report they're having a wonderful time, and have been treated well, and with much sympathy from the Italians they've encountered. She did mention lots of armed security, police etc. tho - more than usual. They did the train this time with two other couples, and they arrive home tomorrow.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Vita

Shiela, There have been a lot of posts about this and the answer to your title question seems to be a resounding 'No.' Do a search for 'anti-American' to read some of the posts.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 05:34 AM
DJ

Sheila,

Just returned from Italy last night (Rome, Venice and Sorrento). Did not feel any "anti-American" feelings in these locations. As a matter of fact, in Rome, there are posters everywhere supporting solidarity with the US relative to our anti-terrorism campaign. We felt the strongest support from those in Rome.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Vinny

Italians,are fun loving and family oriented,and most are good Christians.Why would they be anti American? There were Italian Americans killed in this terrible attack on America, and without a doubt had relatives living in Italy,any person that condoned this massacre no matter what country they are from is sick in the head.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Lisa

To some of you who have just left Italy where is the extra security at? the attraction, Vatican, airports? Would appreciate any feedback since fodors keeps removing posts about the situation that keep us updated, and serve to help us make decisions on if it is safe to travel or not. That should be a main concern for all of us. Thanks

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 01:10 AM
axio

there wasn't much extra security at the places of interest...Vatican do have guards checking your bags for bombs but I suppose they do that all the time even without the bombing.

saw shopowners at the ponte vechio posting sympathy to Americans msg on their shop doors...but generally don't see any violence or whatsoever

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:42 AM
DJ

As I haven't been to Italy before (or Europe for that matter)I cannot compare to what it was like, but at places like Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Novana,(many large general meeting places) there were always large amounts of police vehicles with VERY armed police milling around. On the designated path from the Spanish steps to the Piazza Novana is a Consulate (do not know which one) and there were an extreme amount of military and police and guard dogs in this area. This did not intimidate but provided a sense of security. I did not see this same level in the Vatican area, however, this may be due to the Vatican being it's own city-state. I hope this helps.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Lisa

thank you for your thoughtful posts, yes it does help.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Carolyn

Just got back from Italy on Thurs. We were in Firenze on the 11th and were treated sympathetically as Americans by almost everyone. A young waiter that evening told us that his family has relatives in NYC and his mother had been in a church all afternoon in prayer through her tears. Tiny Tuscan villages had messages of condolence on the town square bulletin boards. Their national flags were bound by black mourning bands. There was no question of the depth of Italian commiseration with us.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 04:29 PM
Sheila

Thank you all for the inforomative descriptions and reassurances. We are planning to go with happy hearts.