Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another weird question: A cemetery viewable from Tube car...

Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

When traveling by Tube from Heathrow to London I have noticed a HUGE cemetery during one of the above-ground segments of the trip…it is visible out of the right side of the train car and in places abuts the rail line. Does anyone know what its name is or which of the “suburbs” this is? A friend contends that it is Ilford, but we can’t find out for sure. Does anyone out there know? Does Ilford have a very large cemetery?
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:42 PM

I'm pretty sure that it's Brompton Cemetery, which is close to Earls Court.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM

Here's a link

http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/parks/b...tery/about.cfm

Oh, and Ilford is way up in North East London - unless you were taking a VERY odd route you'd have been nowhere near there!
Mar 2nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

I'm likely wrong - but I'd think it is Ealing and Brentford cemetary which isn't far from the raised portion of the piccadilly line at South Ealing. I don't think Brompton could be considered "suburban" by anyone and it isn't visible (I don't think) from the P. line.
Mar 2nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, no, it isn't Brompton, as large as Bromton is this cemetery seems to be MUCH larger...Come to think of it, I guess I'm not sure where Heathrow is in relation to Greater London...thanks...It very well might be Ealing...if anyone else has a suggestion, feel free to add your thoughts...
Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
ron

Well, the Ealing and Old Brentford Cemetery (now known as the South Ealing Cemetery) is a good 500 metres from the Piccadilly line and is smaller than Brompton Cemetery. I don't think huge is a good adjective.

The only huge cemetery that I can think of in west London is the adjacent St Mary's RC and Kensal Green Cemeteries. They are, of course, no where near the Piccadilly line, but they are near the train lines that run out of Paddington Station. I've never noticed whether you can see them from the train.
Mar 3rd, 2006, 06:25 AM

A number of cemeteries and railway lines are in close proximity - presumably on the principle that neither is likely to complain about the other.

The Kensington and Chelsea cemetery is right by the railway line between Hanwell and West Ealing, but that's on the way into Paddington.

www.londoncemeteries.co.uk