Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another wardrobe question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-wardrobe-question-587653/)

hs26 Feb 2nd, 2006 12:22 PM

Another wardrobe question

Terry and velour sweatsuits in bright colors are very popular in the states right now. They are very nice looking (as long as you're not too overweight!) and very comfortable. They're especially popular with teens but adults wear them as well. If we try to wear them in the U.K. will we be viewed as trailer trash? Should we stick to jeans?

steviegene Feb 2nd, 2006 12:28 PM

Personally, I dont think sweats should be worn out of the house, unless you are going to the gym.

sandi_travelnut Feb 2nd, 2006 12:30 PM

velour sweatsuits have made a comeback? Yuck.

FainaAgain Feb 2nd, 2006 12:30 PM

Not even pink?? ;)

sandi_travelnut Feb 2nd, 2006 12:32 PM

only if it's crispy

fritzrl Feb 2nd, 2006 12:35 PM

Crispy velour?

highland_lass Feb 2nd, 2006 12:36 PM

I cant speak for everyone but here in my part of the UK "sweatsuits" dont go down well unless you are a teenager without any lumps and bumps and even then .......... I suppose you would really need to ask the locals of the area you are visiting, maybe there are differing opinions.

I wear one but only around the house and would NEVER go outside in it, I'd change into something smarter first.

I think you'll find most people would welcome you regardless of what you're wearing and I would never consider any visitor trailer trash .

Jeans are universal , I hope you have a great time.

janisj Feb 2nd, 2006 12:36 PM

&quot;<i>Terry and velour sweatsuits in bright colors are very popular in the states right now.</i>

Gee, not in my neck of the woods . . . . .

<b>Not</b> a good look on most people

sandi_travelnut Feb 2nd, 2006 12:41 PM

no..pink only if it's crispy

mamc Feb 2nd, 2006 12:42 PM

I hadn't (thankfully) noticed. I agree that they are best worn in the house and at the gym, not in London!

starrsville Feb 2nd, 2006 12:46 PM

Don't wear them on your trip.

flanneruk Feb 2nd, 2006 12:51 PM

You've never been here before, have you?

If you had, you'd understand three important rules:

1. Dangling passives (&quot;we would be viewed as...&quot;&quot;) as ALWAYS meaningless. Someone, somewhere, will think anything, so dangling passives may be true, but insignificant.

2. The British dialect of English (aka &quot;real English&quot;) doesn't tolerate meaningless passives. Only government reports and similar trash speak or write like that.

3. We - the 60 million of us who aggressively believe in freedom of choice when it comes to clothes - don't make judgements about what people wear. EVER. You obviously live in some dictatorship. Here you wear what you like, and it's no damn business of anyone else.

You'll find some other posters will tell you what you're supposed to wear here. They're talking through their arses. Every one of them. Ignore them. Apart from anything else, most of them don't live here.

highland_lass Feb 2nd, 2006 12:56 PM

&quot;We - the 60 million of us who aggressively believe in freedom of choice when it comes to clothes - don't make judgements about what people wear. EVER. You obviously live in some dictatorship. Here you wear what you like, and it's no damn business of anyone else.
You'll find some other posters will tell you what you're supposed to wear here. They're talking through their arses. Every one of them. Ignore them. Apart from anything else, most of them don't live here.&quot;

Someone got out of the bed on the wrong side today !!!!!!

Scarlett Feb 2nd, 2006 12:58 PM

<i>Terry and velour sweatsuits in bright colors are very popular in the states right now</i>
Not in <u>all</u> the states, I think :)
And not in cities, I think.

Imagine the family in MacDougalville Europe who is at the height of fashion (in their town) wearing only lime green polka dots and army boots..because they are Very Popular in MacDougalville, should they wear this garb in the US? or should they go for a more conservative, version of tees/shirts/jeans/slacks?
I think it all depends on how much you want to look like you are from MacDougalville and if you want to stand out in the crowd.
Of course, you should wear what makes you comfortable and it is true, no one will throw stones at you if you wear a pink velour sweatsuit, but for some reason, I think they might treat you with a tiny bit more respect if you dressed &quot;up&quot; just a tiny bit.
Of course, I would love it if I could wear my favorite sloppy clothes when I travel, but I still cannot get myself to go out in public wearing my favorite 10 year old flannel pj shirt with my much worn yoga pants.

Faina, dangling passives and sweatsuits can be a problem too, I believe LOL

FainaAgain Feb 2nd, 2006 12:59 PM

Dunno what's dangling, not sure passive or aggressive, but will somebody comment on wardrobe malfunction? Isn't this the question?

janisj Feb 2nd, 2006 12:59 PM

flanner is basically right - you can wear what you darn well pease. Brits will be pretty non-judgemental no matter what. That really isn't the point in this case, That wouldn't be a good look in the States either.

flanneruk Feb 2nd, 2006 12:59 PM

Not at all.

I'm affirming what this city stands for.

Freedom of the individual. A concept the Scotch have never been comfortable with.

highland_lass Feb 2nd, 2006 01:01 PM

Scotch is a drink aka Whisky. Do you mean Scottish ??

kelliebellie Feb 2nd, 2006 01:03 PM

I think those are even out in the U.S.

J-Lo has moved on to other things.

Scarlett Feb 2nd, 2006 01:07 PM

Scotch? Freedom to drink it? Show me a Scotsman who lost that freedom!! I dare ya LOL

kellie, did you see J-Lo on Jay Leno in that version of a dress made from mama's bedspread? lol...now that would also not be appreciated as a traveling dress!