On somewhat spur of the moment I cashed in a bunch of Delta miles and bought a ticket to Turkey in the first week of September, and am doing some research now to come up with an itinerary. Here's a first stab at things... I would really welcome any suggestions. Thank you!
Sat Sep 3 - arrive IST ~10 AM. Hotel TBD. early afternoon istanbul exploration. Thinking probably some bazaars as they are closed sundays.
Sun Sep 4 - AM flight to Izmir, on to Selcuk and Ephesus.
Mon Sep 5 - around Selcuk
Tue Sep 6 - early AM flight to Kayseri or Neveshir. On to Goreme.
Wed Sep 7 - hiking. would like to get to ihlara valley for hiking as well.
Th Sep 8 - underground cities and other sites
Fri sep 9 - early AM flight to Istanbul - Istanbul
Sat Sep 10 - possible day trip to Bursa or on the Bosphorous or istanbul
Sun Sep 11 - Istanbul - maybe 1/2 day trip to Princes Islands
Mon Sep 12 - depart for NYC on noon flight
Question: how timely are domestic flights? I'm looking into trying to stay with Turkish air but their tickets are sometimes double those of the other carriers. Onur and Sunexpress have timings I want [from bulucuk.com] for Izmir but overall less frequent if something were to go wrong and I might be stuck at airport... Also, is it easier to get from Sultanhamet to IST or to SAW?
Any adjustments to the schedule you would make? Reason for earlier short stay in Istanbul is due to flights from Izmir to Kayseri being more frequent on Tuesday or Thursday.
thanks again for suggestions and comments!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 2 London 'Tube-less', Fine dining, Fun excursions plus a GTG
- 3 Where to Visit in Normandy & Brittany
- 4 Which Area in London?
- 5 family trip to Germany and more
- 6 Overnight stop from Berlin to Paris
- 7 Trains - website?
- 8 Ham tacos and the toilet isn't sucking mud
- 9 Paris Apartment
- 10 Lisbon stay - Olissippo Lapa Palace vs NH Collection Lisboa Liberdade
- 11 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 12 Barcelona to Malaga
- 13 UK Mid- May drive week Cornwall
- 14 Milan airport--which one
- 15 Lorie Valley and Beyond
- 16 Italy 9 Days in December/Itinerary Help
- 17 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 18 Overwhelmed with planning! Need help from Italy experts.
- 19 1st time to Europe
- 20 Paris November 2017
- 21 Can only visit one (maybe two) cities. Which one?
- 22 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 23 Three nights in the Italian Riviera: hiking in Camogli with day trips
- 24 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 25 St, Goar or Bacharach