Reload this Page >

Enough time for London and Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 07:02 PM
Sharon

My husband and I are going to London in March (staying at Hazlitt's) and thought we would take an overnight to Paris on high speed train. Would we be better to just stay in London, or is there enough time to get a glimpse of Paris? We are staying a total of 8 nights, and it is our first time in Europe. Thank you. Also, what hotel in Paris? Is Hazlitt's a good choice for London?

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Patrick

Eight days is hardly enough to fully experience either city, but if this is your first trip I say go for 4 nights in each and you will get a really good taste of both as well as a double vacation, having experienced two of the greatest cities in the world, and two different cultures. The only part I don't understand is the "overnight train" to Paris. Are you aware that the whole trip is only about 3 hours from center of city to center of city?

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Sharon

Patrick--I meant that we would stay in Paris for an overnight--taking the three hour high speed train there. Thanks for the info.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 06:05 AM
Patrick

Sorry, actually that is pretty clear now that I read it again, but guess it didn't occur to me as I'd never think of just going to Paris for an overnight. I'd still suggest you do 4 nights each or at least expand Paris to 3 nights. Have you checked out flying into London, but out of Paris? Oddly when I do that with American out of Miami it's actually cheaper than in and out of London.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 08:12 AM
Ron

Sharon, Four days in each city is just enough to see a few of the major sights in each city. Last September, we spent four nights in London then the Eurostar to Paris for four nights. We saw the major sights including day trips to Stonehenge/Bath and Giverny. We felt (after the trip) that this was a great way to get a taste of London and Paris and we were already planning our next trip on the flight home. Think of this as a scouting trip for the next trip. <BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 04:27 PM
Irene

Hazlitt's is a good hotel if you want to be in the middle of Soho and rub elbows with theatre people.Lots of good restaurants around.A little sleeze still left in the neighborhood too. Agree on the split of your time between London & Paris. <BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 09:07 PM
Melissa

Sharon, on my first trip to Europe, I stayed 3-4 days in Paris and 3-4 days in London. The only reason I did this was because I was promising to return. 3-4 days is enough to get a glimpse of each city, but just a glimpse! We got all the touristy things out of the way, went to all the monuments and such and did a little bit of shopping. That way, on my subsequent trips, I could concentrate on REALLY discovering each city and its people. <BR> <BR>I don't think I would recommend you stay just one night in Paris.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:48 PM
elvira

If you are willing to wrench yourself from Paris after a day, go for it. <BR>You can do a day trip; first train out in the morning, last train back at night. Hit the Louvre for a couple of hours, walk around (see Notre Dame), eat, take a boat cruise of the Seine, go to the top of the Eiffel Tower, eat, head back to the train station. I've done this. <BR>If you want to do two days, do the same thing but stay overnight. Get a hotel near the Gare du Nord so you aren't wasting time getting to and from your hotel; when you check out in the morning, ask the hotel to hold your baggage. You can add the Champs Elysees, the Musee d'Orsay and shopping on day two, and a more leisurely pace the first day. Be sure you have a good map, including the metro system, so you'll know where you're going. Don't sweat over finding places to eat; restaurants, bistros, cafes and brasseries are plentiful. For lunches, buy sandwiches and eat while you walk.