Another Question re: Paris Hotels in 6e

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:33 AM
ilene

Another Question re: Paris Hotels in 6e

I am planning to go to Paris in February with my mother and am deciding between the following hotels:
Hotel de L'Abbaye
Hotel d'Aubusson
Hotel de l'Odeon and
Hotel de Grands Balcons
I stayed at the Relais de St. Germain de Pres in April but am looking for something less expensive. Which of these hotels do you prefer? I have listed the hotels starting with the most expensive. The price difference from the most to least expensive is over $100 which makes me wonder about the Hotel de Grands Balcons even though it has been reviewed very highly on this forum. I know the four I have listed all have a great location (for me anyway). I am really wondering about cleanliness, size of the room and comfort as we will be there for a week. We are looking for a room with two beds and my mother is a very light sleeper so the quieter the better. Also, some place with a cozy feel would be great since it might be pretty cold then.
Thanks for your help!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Diane

We're staying at Hotel de Grands Balcons in April. My friend Monica P. loved it, and her word goes a long way in my book. Saving a few $$ over some of the alternatives is also pretty nice. It means we can splurge on a few more meals!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 10:56 AM
Christina

If you read comments on this board and look in a few guidebooks or do research on the web, you 'd see that Grand Balcons isn't any way comparable to a 4-star hotel or a very nice 3-star (like the Odeon); it's a basic 2-star hotel. I haven't stayed in any of those, but I would choose the Aubusson or Odeon from what I've read and location.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:29 PM
julie

Ilene- I have stayed at the Hotel des Grands Balcons and it was delightful for the price. THe Hotel de L'Abbaye and the Hotel d'Abusson are in a very different price range somewhat more expensive than the Balcons. We plan to splurge this fall at the d'Aubusson and have been quoted rate around 240 to 320 USD per night. It is a four star romantic hotel with ultra amenities if what I see on the website and read in Fodors and the Gault Milau guide is true. THe Grand Balcons had room rates around 100-125 per nite adveritsed on their website.
The Balcons was clean and the staff very pleasant. Good location but tiny room and petite bath.I think there is a huge difference between these two hotels. I would suggest checking out websites for more accurate info so you are not disppointed at too little or too high a price. Enjoy!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 12:36 PM
Lynn

I stayed at the Hotel de L'Abbaye and would do so again. I was with a friend and we had a standard room with two twin beds. The room was not large, but we each had our own closet and drawer space - and we didn't go to Paris to stay in the room anyway. The bath was very nice.

The room was quiet - facing out over a small courtyard.

What I liked best about the hotel is the location, the staff (very helpful and gracious), and the public areas - there is a charming place for breakfast and a small room where you can be served cocktails in the evening.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:02 PM
ilene

Thanks for the advice. I realize that the Balcons is and should be a lot different from the Abbaye and Aubusson which are almost twice the price. Just trying to figure out the least expensive place where we will be comfortable and not tripping over one another in the room. Romance is not an issue (since I'll be with my mom), well not between us anyway, and I know all the locations are great.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 02:06 PM
kavey

I loved the look of the Grands Balcons, though I went for Hotel Select in the end because I could get a deal through work.

It's in Place Sorbonne.

Please feedback here when you get back as I would love more recent feedback on any of those hotels.

Kavey