Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another "overwhelming!" Ireland Itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-overwhelming-ireland-itinerary-473392/)

traveling_artist Sep 10th, 2004 10:36 AM

Another "overwhelming!" Ireland Itinerary

You all have been great sharing your itineraries and suggestions! I've been reading and comparing for the last couple of months. Perhaps someone can help us with this one. A friend and I will be in Ireland for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Shannon. This is what we'd like to do (the route planners say it's about 1000 miles and 28 hours driving time). How would you suggest we tighten it up, what to skip, (or add - although I don't see how!), etc?

Day 1 Arrive Shannon 7AM - visit Cliffs of Moher, The Burren, the Burren Center in Kilfenora, Doolin. Overnight in Doolin or on to Galway.

Day 2 - Aran Islands, overnight in Galway

Day 3 -Connemara via Spiddal and Roundstone, overnight in Galway (or Westport?)

Day 4 - Drive to Sligo/Ballymote to visit family. Overnight in Ballymote.

Day 5 - Drive to Newgrange. Overnight somewhere near by.

Day 6 Visit Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Drive to Clonmacnoise. Overnight in Shannonbridge area.

Day 7 Visit Clonmacnoise and Clonmacnoise-Offaly Railroad. Drive to Cashel via Leap Castle (near Roscrea). Overnight near Rock of Cashel.

Day 8 Rock of Cashel, Glen of Aherlow, Vee Gap. Overnight ?

Day 9 West of Cork - Gougane Barra Forest Park, Pass of Keimaneigh (Ballingeary area). Overnight ?

Day 10 Mizen Head and Beara Peninsula, overnight in Kenmare

Day 11 Killarney Nat'l Park and Muckross House OR Ring of Kerry. Overnight Killarney?

Day 12 Dingle Peninsula, overnight in Dingle

Day 13 Overnight near Bunratty

Day 14 Fly Home from Shannon in afternoon

Also, in your experience, have you found it better/easier to A) overnight in the area you plan to visit, visit the site/explore an area early in the day and then drive to the next area later that day? Or B)drive to your next site/area/town starting in the morning and explore/visit later in the day and overnight in the same area?

Thanks for your "words of wisdom"!

StephenG Sep 10th, 2004 10:51 AM

I would say that it will help if you are going at a time of the year with long days June or July.

traveling_artist Sep 10th, 2004 01:43 PM

Late September, early October.

wojazz3 Sep 10th, 2004 02:59 PM

Hi traveling artist:

First, I wouldn't totally trust the driving times, they are probably a bit conservative and you will probably made side trips. Generally, I think most people will find this itinerary exhausting. There aren't any listed multi night stays, but I can see some opportunities.

The major suggestion would be to drop Newgrange. It's a great site, but it's on the other side of the country. As an option, just south of Sligo, on the road to Boyle is Carrowkeel which is a megalithic burial site with cairns that you can enter. It isn't big on the tourist map as there is no visitor center, and hasn't become a big spot. Those in the know consider definitely worth a visit.

The Glen of Aherlow is a nice drive and if you happen to be going that way, you should do it, but it is in the Opposite direction from the Vee Drive. Do one or the other.

You could feasilbly spend nights 9-11 in Kenmare.

As for the A or B question, it's tough to respond. I like to find an area and hang around for a few days and move on. I think we all try to do too much when we travel, I'm as bad as anyone. Basically, end up where you end up, and take it from there.

If you stay in Shannonbridge which is a tiny little town, be sure to stop in a Killens for some "traditional" music. The place was a lot of fun and there is a chance that the person pouring your Guinness will be a bit under age. It's good for a laugh.

Bill

traveling_artist Sep 11th, 2004 04:36 AM

Bill, Thanks for the reply. I'd like to stay more than one night in an area too, but we will definitely need to drop some sites/areas to do that. Thanks for the Carrowkeel and Killens suggestions!

traveling_artist Sep 11th, 2004 10:11 AM

Does anyone know why this thread doesn't show up in a search on "Ireland"?