Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another night in Sorrento or one night in Naples?

Old Nov 1st, 2009, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be arriving in Sorrento after an overnight flight from Montreal and the bus from Naples airport. We will stay in Sorrento for three nights giving us time to take the bus tour of the Almalfi Coast and enjoy Sorrento.

After three nights, we plan to leave in the morning by train to go to Pompeii and that evening continue on by train to Naples for the night. We would then have the next day in Naples and then leave on the ferry that evening for Catania. We only use carry on luggage so we hope to store it at Pompeii for the day and then leave it at our Naples hotel the following day so we can tour Naples.

The alternative is for us to return from Pompeii to Sorrento and then leave the following morning for Naples to catch our ferry. This would still give us most of the day in Naples. It's not a huge dilemma either way by any means but I'm firming up my hotel reservations and would like your advice. Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 07:10 AM

I have visited Sorrento four times, I would opt for Plan A. Someone may confirm there are lockers in Pompeii Scavi for you to store your luggage. The Circumvesuviana train that runs from Sorrento-Naples-Sorrento is not comfortable and it is slow. Personally, I would spend as little time on it as possible.

If you need recommendations from people on this web site for a driver to take you for a tour of the Amalfi Coast, be sure to ask.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM

I'd pick Plan B, mostly because I like to limit changes of hotel. And 3 jetlagged nights in Sorrento may add up to less than you expect.

Another option is to spend the last night on Capri and ferry to Naples the next day. This is an option I'd only chance in high summer when the seas are calm and there are lots of ferry departures. And it's not much time in Capri.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kane and Mimar for the feedback, much appreciated. I also don't like changing hotels more than I have to. And the idea about Capri is helpful too.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I would book four nights in Sorrento and either train or ferry to Naples the last day (depending on luggage storage options). The less hotel changes, the better. If you ferry, you will need to see if luggage storage is available at the port and which ports the two ferries are using (might be different ports). If you store your luggage at the train station, double-check hours and allow time for retrieving (some stations have lines that move slow).

Your Pompeii plans may change depending on weather (you wouldn't want to wander Pompeii in the rain) so I would keep my schedule flexible.

If you do go with your first plan, Pompeii had free luggage storage at the entrance, but I no longer see it listed on their website. I would double-check that also.
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon. That's what I was leaning towards and so I'll book the four nights in Sorrento. I'm booking at Il Nido which I think you had recommended as well.