Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another metro pass thread! (sorry) Please explain a 'supplement' to a zone 1-2 Carte Orange

Another metro pass thread! (sorry) Please explain a 'supplement' to a zone 1-2 Carte Orange

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be buying a C.O. for the week - just trips within Paris except for one day to take the kids to Disney. I've been reading various threads about this, but am unsure what people mean when they say to buy a supplement to an outlying area (Disney). Would I show my Carte Orange and pay the difference to Disney or just buy a regular ticket?

Am I correct to assume the one day Mobilis would not make sense for this one day?

What is the cost to go to Disney from Paris?

We leave from CDG on a Monday - I just get a normal ticket for that (not Mobilis) correct? Price?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 08:29 AM

A supplement to the CO pass is just a separate ticket for the last stop in zone 2 (or first in zone 3?) to Disney ("return" = roundtrip). I don't know the fare from Paris to Disney, so don't know the supplement either. I doubht it would be more than 10-15€ or so.

Can't answer whether a 5-zone Mobilis for Disney would be cheaper than buying the supplement, since I don't know the price of the supplement.

Mobilis does not cover "Roissyrail", the train segment from Paris to CDG. That is a separate ticket costing right about 8€ one-way.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:22 AM

The fare from Paris to the Magic Kingdom is 6.25€ according to transilien.com

If you're arriving at CDG within the validity of your <i>Carte Orange</i>, definitely go with the 5-zone. Between the one airport transfer and round-trip to Disney, you will save big time.

Otherwise, buy a ticket from Vincennes to Disney to use with your 2-zone CO.

For your return to the airport, you should get a single ticket for 8,10&euro;; it will include any M&eacute;tro ride required to get to the RER.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Oh, and to get from CDG to Paris, you only need a ticket to La Plaine to get you into Zone 2.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Merci Robespierre - I wads hoping you woould respond! I couldn't find a site that gave prices for this - now it's bookmarked. Seems to be the same cost from Vincennes (actually it wouldn't take &quot;Vincennes&quot; for me, I had to put in Porte de Vincennes, but I don't know if that is the same or not) as from the center of Paris, but I needed to know that too.

I won't be arriving through an airport, just leaving from CDG - on a Monday so the extra zones on the carte orange wouldn't pay.

This is complicated - I'm getting through it though thanks to the advice so freely given here. Thanks.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Nope - Porte de Vincennes and Ch&acirc;teau de Vincennes are M&eacute;tro stops on Ligne 1. The RER station is called &quot;Vincennes&quot; - but the Transilien site won't quote fares from it.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

OK - I ran into that problem too. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM

The RATP no longer sells supplement tickets. You must have a ticket that covers an entire trip. So if you have a Carte Orange that covers zones 1-3, and you want to go from zone 1 to zone 5, you must have a separate ticket that covers zones 1 to 5&mdash;you cannot buy a supplement to the CO that covers only zones 4-5.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 04:38 PM

That's news to me. What would prevent me from riding the RER to Issy, getting off and buying a ticket to Versailles, and the reverse coming back? Nothing, right? Then why would the RATP care whether or not I got off?

When was this policy implemented, and where is it documented?
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

It might not matter anyway. Vincenne to Disney is 6.25&euro; and when I put in from the center of Paris to Disney (if I did it right) it came up the same price. They probably wouldn't care if you got off or not in that case.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 09:37 PM

You cant buy a ticket not covering the railway/metro station where you are.
This means ; if you are in Paris itself (zone 1-2), you can't buy a zone 3-5 ticket for instance (only a zone 1-something)
Robespiere, your plan fails in Issy : you will not be able to EXIT (your zone 1-2 ticket won't open the Issy's turnstyle (coded zone 3)
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:42 AM

At one time, you could buy a ticket that covered only the difference between the zones covered by your Carte Orange and the zone required by your destination. Today, however, these special tickets are no longer sold, so you must buy a ticket that covers the entire trip&mdash;you cannot use the Carte Orange for part of it in order to save money.

I don't know why the RATP adopted this policy, but it has been in place for several years now.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:30 AM

Oh. I've only done it from CDG to La Plaine and back, so I didn't think to ask about buying a ticket for zones I wasn't in.

But Issy <u>is</u> in Zone 2, so there should still be no problem with getting there on the CO and <i>then</i> buying a (round-trip) ticket to Versailles.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:39 AM

But the saving is only &euro;1,20 - so it probably wouldn't be worth it to most people to get off the train and on again.