Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another Last Minute Question re trains to Toledo - we leave for Spain on Thursday!

Search

Another Last Minute Question re trains to Toledo - we leave for Spain on Thursday!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another last minute question. We plan on taking a day trip via AVE train from Madrid to Toledo. Should we get the tickets in advance? I was thinking we should get them when we arrive at the airport on Friday morning. We plan on going to Toledo on Sunday. Does that make sense? Should I buy them now on line? I purchased tickets from Madrid to Sevilla on line and plan on picking them up at the renfe office at the Madrid airport. Thanks, Susan
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Susan
Here's the Renfe site. You can check this yourself but I don't think the AVE goes to Toledo. I've been back and forth on the AVE often and this line doesn't to to Toledo. It's heading south but slightly east from the road to Toledo.

You might find that the other trains from Madrid will leave from the same station but it's not far, so using the AVE would be a waste.

Hope that this will help a bit.

Blackduff
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:38 AM

Oppps, I forgot to enter this url.

http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html#

Blackduff
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:44 AM

I believe that the train to Toledo is similar to the commuter trains we have in the US. There is also a bus which was cheaper and the bus depot in Toledo was closer to town. Toledo is up a very steep hill from either the train station or the bus station.

There is no need to purchase tickets prior to your trip. You can purchase tickets with no problem just before you board the train or the bus.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Indeed there is no AVE to Toledo, but it's not very far anyway, and it's best to buy the ticket not far in advance.

Unless it is raining or you have mobility problems, you might enjoy the walk from the train station to the walls of Toledo, as I did. I was especially charmed passing a shepherd taking his flock to the river. And the train station itself is quite interesting. The interior in done in lovely Spanish tiles.

The walk is about a 30 minute stroll.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

blackduff - you are right, sorry, I meant to say Alto Velocidad - the 30 minute train. So, should I buy tickets in advance? Or should I be okay just going to the station that Sunday morning? The trains are only once every 2 hours, so I am thinking I should play it safe and buy them in advance. Maybe even on line today? Susan
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:55 AM

And if you would really prefer not to walk, there are frequent buses from the train station to the main gate of Toledo.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I would and wait, since this is only Sunday in the morning. There must be lots of seats available. Plus, if your flight arrive late or if you have a problem getting your baggage, you might lose your ticket or money if you don't make arrival at the train station.

Even so, if you have to take the next train, it's only two hours later. I also think that Renfe allows you to buy a ticket even though you don't get a guaranteed seat. You might have to stand for the short ride. This might be possible.

Blackduff
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Toledo is a very, very popular Sunday destination, also for Spaniards.

If you can, I would suggest that you buy your tickets at the Renfe office at the airport. If that's not possible, any travel agency should sell you tickets at the same price.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 12:39 PM

The only problem of going to Toledo on Sunday is that all the stores are closed. if you don't care to do any shopping, then not a problem. I went on a Sunday and was sorry that all the pottery stores were closed! They had some really nice things.

You might want to go by bus. That's what we did. They run every half hour( even on Sunday). They leave frim the Calle M. alvaro station in Madrid not from Estacion Sur. Check schedules at www.continental-auto.es
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM

ther is an AVE to toledo..

just started a few months ago.

alta velocidad españa A.V.E.

if you know when you want to go, i would get your tickets at airport as the lines at renfe stations are usually a pain...and slow.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 04:42 PM

Here'sthe best advice you'll get today! The railway station at Toledo is a bit out of town. The bus from Madrid will drop you off IN central Toledo. You catch the bus from the Bus Station (Estacion de Autobus) next to Mendos Alvarez metro station in Madrid. A return ticket for a designated seat on a designated bus costs about 10€ return, and the trip takes about 1 hour 15 minutes. The buses are modern, comfortable, frequent and very well organized.
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Lincasanova is right. Since october, november there is a new high speed train between Madrid and Toledo.

The good thing is that it is quite frequent (before it was only three trains a day).

If you have never bought tickets online with Renfe, you wonīt be able to buy the Toledo tickets right now. The first time you buy in Renfe, you must go in person to a Renfe office and show the credit card you paid the tickets with (as you are going to do next Friday). I would check the Renfe timetable and then get the tickets while in the Renfe office in Barajas.

The train stattion in Toledo is gorgeous, and there is a bus that takes you from there to the Zocodover square.

Rgds, Cova
Old Feb 25th, 2006, 07:17 PM

Thanks for posting the news about the new AVE.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM

susan56 had it right from the start.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I thought I was right! I will buy the tickets for the Toledo trip at the airport, I want to pick up our tickets to Sevilla then as well.

But now I am concerned about the Sunday trip to Toledo - our schedule is very tight and this is the best day for us to go and while we are not there to 'shop', I don't like hearing that all of the shops will be closed. We will want to linger and possibly bring something home from Toledo. Is it basically all of the shops? Or are some open? Susan
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:31 AM

Susan, one of my colleagues at work is from Toledo. I can ask her tomorrow if she knows of any shop that might be open in Toledo on Sundays.

In the worst of the cases, you could always buy "mazapán de Toledo" (marzipan). She usually buys them at Santo Tomé, and they are very good.

Their address :
Confitería de Santo Tomé
Direccion: Santo Tomé
Teléfono: 925-22-37-63

Rgds, Cova
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 04:37 AM

In Toledo, head out to the Alcazar. There are two stores (kitty-corner) with the Alcazar that were open when we visited the first time (it was a Sunday). In Toledo you weant to buy damasquinado jewerly; pins, earrings. Try to get good damasquinado, the cheaper one breaks easy. Very unique, beautiful craft work. In the event there is no luck with stores in Toledo, Artesanias Reyes in Gran Via has handmade linens from Toledo. Do not buy it on the streets, it is imitaion made in China. The Christmas linens are absolutely gorgeous.
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Cova, that would be great. I really don't want to start shuffling my schedule around and frankly, I don't think I can fit the trip to Toledo in on any other day. Susan
Old Feb 27th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Hi Susan,

my friend has told me that the typical souvenir shops will be open on Sundays, specially the ones located in the street that goes from Zocodover square to the Cathedral and the ones in Santo Tomé street. She also recommends to go to Sto Tomé to buy "mazapan" (itīs the most famous, and they have one shop in Zocodover and another in the jewish quarter).

Forget about Zara and the likes, though ...

And I think that you will be better off with the train. I hope the weather is better next weekend, but this past weekend there has been some snow and a lot of problems in the main roads, so the buses have been running late.

Rgds, Cova