Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another last minute plea for hotel advice...sorry! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-last-minute-plea-for-hotel-advice-sorry-106084/)

Janet Feb 14th, 2001 03:31 PM

Another last minute plea for hotel advice...sorry!

This is my first trip to Paris and it happens to be last minute (Feb. 25 - March 4). We are two twenty-something friends who want to stay where the action is. As a comparison, I am from San Francisco and would suggest Union Square or North Beach to a visitor asking the same question of me. Should I be looking at the 8e, 1e or what? I also want to be impressed by the decor of the reception area and the room. I am sure that the more ornate hotels are more expensive, but I'm looking to spend around $100 per night, no more than $150 though. Do hotels at such prices exist? Thanks for your help.

Gloria Feb 14th, 2001 04:01 PM

Ms. Fowler, I think this begs your answer. You recently gave a big thumbs up on an hotel that sounds appropriate for Janet. (I tried a search to find your rec, to no avail) <BR> <BR>Calling Ms. Fowler....

Lesli Feb 14th, 2001 04:20 PM

The Left bank is probably where you want to be. The quartier latin (5th) is where the Sorbonne is - busy at all hours and yet not too expensive. St. Germaine (6th) has lots of shops and restaurants, but is a little pricier - think Pacific Heights/Marina district. The 7th has lots of charming small hotels that are within your budget, but it's a little quieter and more residential. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Hotel St-Jacques on rue des Ecoles (5th) and the Hotel du Lys (6th). Both have a certain charm, and attractive lobby areas, though I would not call them "impressive." They are within your price range. There are lots of alternatives; try a search here for "hotel paris" or "left bank hotel" to see tons of recommendations. Many small hotels will be booked at such short notice, so make a list of at least six, and start calling as soon as possible!

s.fowler Feb 14th, 2001 05:36 PM

Not I:) I'm a 50+ stick-in-the-mudder we prefers the peace of the 7eme. For the young and the restless I'm told the 4eme AKA the Marais is where the action is. Perhaps someone else can recommend the perfect two or three star hotel :)

G Feb 14th, 2001 05:42 PM

I've been to Paris at least 30 times and have stayed in every area. You have not said when you are travelling - it does make a difference! - July & August offer great opportunites to stay in "business" hotels at reduced rates. Also, I don't know your budget. <BR> <BR>The 1st tends to be expensive, but convenient. My travel agent has managed to get me a room in the Hotel Lotti (Rue Castiglione - next-door to the Intercontinential) for approx US$150 per night (rack rate is US$700 - get a good travel agent!). I have stayed at this hotel many times and have never been disapointed - I would give it the highest recommendation (Usually, I get a great room - once, I was allocated a very small room but the location is so good,I could bear it!) <BR> <BR>I have found the left-bank to be over- priced. Consider Montparnass (14th)- there are many great small hotels and it is a wonderful area. Specifically, I would recommend the Hotel L'Aiglon. Also, the area around Republique is fast becoming a "happening" place and hotels are very reasonable. Check out the following web-sites <BR> <BR>http://www.hotels.fr/paris-fr.asp <BR>http://www.webscapades.com/index.htm <BR> <BR>You do not necessarily get the best deals on hotels through the net! Travel agents may have access to discounts unavilable to the general public. Check with both before you decide! <BR> <BR>If you want any more information, let me know. There should be no problem finding a good hotel in your price bracket. As you are from San Fran, I would suggest you focus on the small "boutique" hotels rather than the chain hotels .. far more interesting and exciting. <BR>

xxx Feb 14th, 2001 07:20 PM

G: Are you awake? She tells you exactly when she's going and what her price range is!

Carol Feb 15th, 2001 11:52 AM

Although I am 50-something, I read a lot, and what I read is that the 9th arrondisement is where the action is in Paris these days--like Soho in my hometown of NYC. Check past hosted forums on this site, there was a great on on Paris last spring with the kind of information you're looking for. I also think the www.timeout.com spot will have lots of good tips for you and your friends. The 5th and 6th are fun but no longer where the action is.

Christina Feb 15th, 2001 03:07 PM

I don't know about the 9th being where the action is, I hadn't read that, or where that would be in that quartier. I think there is a difference between going out at night to clubs where the action is and where you live (or stay in a hotel), which might not be the same place. There are some popular clubs in Montmartre around rue des Martyrs and Pigalle area which borders on the 9th and some around bd Poisonniere, but I don't know if I'd recommend those places to stay for a new tourist. I think there is lots of action in the Bastille area in general, down near the Bastille metro and up in the northern part near Oberkampf, and in parts of Les Halles area and the 4th (good jazz clubs), but I would not want to stay there (Les Halles area). The Bastille area would be good and def. near action, either south or north; St-Germain is more expensive and there are some clubs there, it would be fine but you'd have to search them out a little more, I think, than in the Bastille area around rue de Lappe, for example. I don't think of the Latin Quarter as being full of action in the same way except maybe a little down near the Seine where there are a couple clubs, like on rue des Bernardins. For hotels, two hip innovative hotels for design and decor and clientele that are in that price range are Hotel Buci Latin (similarities to Paramount in NYC) in St-Germain and Hotel Atelier Montparnasse (still in 6th but towards bd Montparnasse). I just don't think you should expect that much from that price range, not to be impressed, anyway, that's just a rather budget level for impressive. You'd get more for your money in Bastille area but I don't know the hotels over there that well, and can't think of any I'd describe as avant-garde. Others that might be are more expensive in the 1st/8th. I agree Timeout guide would be good for hotels and entertainment suggestions. I think you'd like Buci Latin on hotel and location.