Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another Hotel In Amsterdam Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-hotel-in-amsterdam-question-495128/)

TracyB Jan 13th, 2005 11:33 AM

Another Hotel In Amsterdam Question

Well, we are on our 11th or 12th trip to Amsterdam, and as usual cannot find a good non expensive hotel!! We usually try out a new place everytime we go, but as the Euro exceeds the Canadian dollar, the prices have become outrageous..Last time we settled for a 1* but do not want that again.. Alot of the hotels have become non-smoking as well, so that is making it even tougher.. Anyhow, we generally stay in the area of Spui/Singel Canal. It is our favorite area of Amsterdam although I am open to any suggestions. Right now we are looking at the Agora (we stayed there several years ago and it was not too bad). We like a nice room, preferably canal view, smoking and in a nice central area. Any ideas? Has anyone stayed in Hotel des Arts? It looks not too bad. Thanks.

Intrepid1 Jan 13th, 2005 12:07 PM

www.channels.nl for hotel lists and user reviews

TracyB Jan 13th, 2005 12:12 PM

WEll thanks..I am sure I have been on every website that exists, but not that one..I will be busy reading the reviews..Thanks.

PalQ Jan 13th, 2005 12:34 PM

You can also call the VVV, Amsterdam Tourist Office which books hotels of all categories. I actually booked a stay in the San Luchesio Monastery thru them at 35 euros a night with buffet breakfast. I don't think this is what you're looking for as was shared toilet but had shower in room. But VVV will help you if other sources don't pan out. VVV Reservations: 31 20 20 18 800; you may also try the Netherlands Reservation Center: 299 68 91 44, have reserved thru them but havn't contact with them in a few years so don't know if phone works.

hopscotch Jan 13th, 2005 02:49 PM

Have you ever tried Haarlem? Do a google search for <i>hotel haarlem</i> and scoll down past the commercial booking agencies.

TracyB Jan 13th, 2005 03:47 PM

Thanks, have done the Haarlem thing a few times, and do love it, but I think we are set on staying in Amsterdam this time..

Travelnut Jan 13th, 2005 04:04 PM

I keep a short list of 2-3* hotels around Leidseplein/Museumplein, but none will have a canal view because I find that drives up the price and I'm not looking at a canal in my sleep.

Others can help you more if you quote a price range to work with, and also what time of year you will be going.

ilovetulips Jan 13th, 2005 04:12 PM

Since you have been to Amsterdam so many times, you may have already tried this place, but we are staying at Maes Bed and Breakfast in May. I believe it is in the Jordaan area.

ilovetulips Jan 13th, 2005 04:13 PM

I just realized that you want a smoking facility and this Maes in no-smoking. For us, that was a big plus.

Travelnut Jan 13th, 2005 04:18 PM

We like staying a block or two from Vondelpark, as then my hubby can go for &quot;a stroll&quot; before going up to the room (non-smoking hotel).

TracyB Jan 13th, 2005 07:38 PM

Travelnut, it doesn't have to be canal view..I am open to any suggestions..And as for smoking, it is my husband that smokes!!
Thanks for your input everyone though..I have found a few hotels (Agora and a few others that i am emailing back and forth right now, trying to get a deal!!) By the way, we are going in April (middle of April)for 9 nights..Would like to spend no more than 130 Euro per night, but that is maximum..Cheaper would be much better.