Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another first-timer, please advise! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-first-timer-please-advise-863736/)

carmella88 Oct 20th, 2010 12:50 PM

Another first-timer, please advise!

I have been reading this forum for several days and I realize certain questions are often asked. I have done a search and cannot really find this answer, so if those with experience would be so kind as to listen to yet another newbie question, I'd much appreciate it!

My husband and I are going to Paris this November. Last minute decision and only the flight is booked (arriving on the 16th, leaving on the 23rd).

We most definitely want to rent an apartment - it suits our budget and our wants of experiencing as much "on the ground" as possible.

Friends have recommended us staying in the 1st or the 8th - however, I have not seen those neighborhoods high on the list of recommendations by some of the more experienced Fodorites. We plan to do the usual first time stuff, museums, exploring, etc. We would like to stay in an area that has a lot of evening activity in terms of places to eat and have a couple of drinks. We prefer to stay in an area where these things will be in very short walking distance from our apartment so that we may head back to our home-base and then enjoy dinner/drinks.

There are two apartments that we have narrowed down. Location 1: Rue de Bailleul in the 1st and location 2: Rue de Berri in the 8th. If you are familiar with the areas, do either of these sound like they might suit our needs? We very much like both of the apartments, however, we are not set on anything. If you do not recommend 1st or 8th, which area would be best. We are celebrating my 40th birthday with no children along. We would like to immerse ourselves in as much local flavor as we can, while also being as near to the touristy things. Any help would be much appreciated, and I again apologize for redundancy. So very excited! My first trip to Paris and my husband's first trip to Europe!!!

sassy_cat Oct 20th, 2010 01:12 PM

Of your two locations I prefer Rue de Bailleul in the 1st. I think it's slightly more central. I presume you've looked it up on a map and can see what's around that area.

It's closer to the Seine (Pont Neuf bridge), Jarden des Tuileries and not far from Les Halles where I'll be staying next month.

Not a bad choice.. I don't have a favourite arrondisment though as I like to stay in different areas to explore new places if possible.

Enjoy Paris!

spaarne Oct 20th, 2010 01:57 PM

I stay in the 5th or 6th which I think is the true heart of Paris. But with the Metro you can be anywhere in half an hour so location of your bed is not a big issue. Cost and comfort are the important parameters.

Michel_Paris Oct 20th, 2010 02:02 PM

For a first trip, I like the 5/6th also. There is nothing wrong with the 1/8th, but I find the vibe in the other 2 more to my liking. So if you like the place, take it. Close to some good Right Bank sites...

But if you were to find something on the Islands, or near the Seine in the 5/6th...

denisea Oct 20th, 2010 02:14 PM

No shock...look at the 6th, it is my favorite. It is close to so many attractions and feels more "Parisian" but I agree there is nothing wrong with the 1st or 8th. I have found it easy to get any where you want to be...walking is a great way to learn your way around and see the beautiful architecture. The Metro is also easy to use. I am sorry I don't know the apartment or street you mentioned. Enjoy your trip. Paris was also my husband's first trip to Europe and he loves Paris (so much that we go back at Christmas).

nytraveler Oct 20th, 2010 02:33 PM

The 5th and the 6th generally have more street life - and are not so upscale as the 1st and the 8th. Any of them will do - as long s you're fairly close to the river and Metro - but I think the 5th/6th have a more Parisian feel.

janisj Oct 20th, 2010 03:46 PM

4th, 5th, 6th would be my choice for a first or second trip to Paris. Later trips- one can stay just about anywhere since you'd know your way around and what to expect.

Many first timers assume the 1st (Louvre area), 7th (Eiffel Tower) or 8th (champs Elysees) are <i>the</i> best areas. Not IMO, though none would be terrible.

adrienne Oct 20th, 2010 04:58 PM

I like the feel of the 5th and 6th with the many cafes and restaurants and small, narrow, winding streets. It has more of the atmosphere of old Paris - the Cluny Museum with its Medieval garden, remnants of the original city walls, the Arenes de Lutece (the remains of the old Roman amphitheater). Plus you have the lovely Luxembourg gardens.

valtor Oct 20th, 2010 09:41 PM

We like 1st and 2nd, to be near Louvre, Rue de Rivoli, Place Concorde. Many sights to visit and places to walk, metro stations, safe.
I like more the location of the first app. Rue de Bailleul

kerouac Oct 20th, 2010 11:14 PM

Rue de Berri would be a terrible location unless your objective is to do only high end eating and shopping.

hmmm Oct 21st, 2010 12:33 AM

There are plenty of moderate dining and shopping opportunities near the Rue de Berri apartment. It's not far from Ave. des Champs-Elysees, which, as is often noted on this forum, has loads of fast food emporia and department stores. Champs also has world famous dining establishments, the Arc de Triomphe on one end and a very lovely park along its eastern end. Further south are world class boutiques. We stayed around the corner from Rue Berri last year (Rue Berryer) and loved the location.

That apartment is close to the main east-west metro line (1) by which you can access most of the most popular tourist attractions on foot. The neighborhood to the south is very busy early and late.

Enjoy your visit.

jelopez33 Oct 21st, 2010 11:15 AM

Carmella:

Another vote for the 5th; because of restaurants,parks,proximity to the Seine;Notre Dame,Rue monge,rue Mouffetard; but of course I fully agree you will enjoy almost any location!!!Please,we wait for your report.
If you like,you cann see the report of our last trip to our loved Paris(click on my name).

jennlane Oct 21st, 2010 11:34 AM

A vote for the 6th arrondissement: Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Jardin du Luxembourg

Michel_Paris Oct 21st, 2010 11:48 AM

To summarize, the Metro (and bus/RER) system si Paris is very good. There are many lines and stations, such that you are nevr (almost) really far from public transit. When I stayed out in the 16th, beyond the Eiffel tower (and not near any tourist sites) it took my ~20-25 minutes to get 'downtown'.

I wanted a more lcoal experience..my cafe at the end of the street, movie theatre short walk away, couple of good restaurants nearby. But, If I were a first timer, I would be spending every day getting "there". So, in general, be "there" and save that time. I also like going to hotel to drop things off before going for dinner. Since I was eating more centrally, it was a bit of a hassle.

The 4/5/6th have, to me, an older feel to them, and I like that. The Champs Elysee area, to me, is a bit more reputation than reality. Rue de Rivoli is a tourist mecca, I have no need to spend time avoiding the tour buses dropping people off to buy perfumes, scarves and porcelain. Yet, a block off is Palais Royal.

Location wise, still lots to see of course. But in terms of where I would like to hang and kill time, those previous 3 outrank the CE area.

carmella88 Oct 21st, 2010 01:05 PM

I have changed my course and am now looking in the 4/5/6 areas. In doing google street view searches, I found those areas more to my liking. Now, I am just in that lovely limbo of waiting to hear back from those that might be available and in my price range.

I will update on my choice, hopefully, shortly! Thank you for all the advice! I think I will like these areas better!

denisea Oct 21st, 2010 01:10 PM

Smart move...think you will like it. I actually don't like the Champs Elysee all that much...very commercial. It's beautiful to see from Place de la Concorde but I am always a little sad that it is so touristy and overrun with chain stores. Enjoy the trip planning and the trip.

jhaskell Oct 22nd, 2010 04:25 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention staying on Ile St Louis or Ile de la Cite.....the islands in the Seine. I have stay several times on both islands...it gives you a different perspective of Paris. There are several small hotele on the islands....I have rented apartments several times on the islands...check VRBO or Chez Vous.
Where you stay really sets the tone for your stay...I enjoy using the book ACCESS as a resource book...it gives info on each ARR. and allows you to knnow what is located in the area where you are considering staying.

janisj Oct 22nd, 2010 06:12 PM

>><i>I haven't seen anyone mention staying on Ile St Louis or Ile de la Cite.</i><<

Essentially, we have -- they are in the 4th so that area is included in the '4th, 5th, 6th' that several have mentioned.

frogoutofwater Oct 22nd, 2010 06:16 PM

Well, I've lived in Paris and I would recommend the 8th over the 5th and parts of the 6th, but not the area around rue du Barri. (It's a nice area and fairly convenient to sights and transportation but is a bit too touristy/retail for my taste.) I like the western side of the 8th, closer to Trocadero, and also the western edge of the 16th. (We used to live in the southwestern corner of the 16th and really liked it, but I think that's a bit too remote for tourists.)

carmella88 Oct 23rd, 2010 05:17 AM

I appreciate all the replies!

Here is where I am right now, and need to make a decision. I feel as if I am all over the map, literally and figuratively.

In no order:

vrbo.com/181279
-Location on Rue Rollin. Coincidentally, found this listing on vrbo and the owner lives in my state, in my city and knows my family! There is a certain comfort level in that. Not too mention an element of "meant to be".

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p249349
-location Rue de Sevigne

homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p255763
-location Rue de La Sourdiere

The last two are owned by a woman who has very good reviews and she called me from Paris and spoke to me at length. So, all apartments have a washer/dryer and all would have a hostess meet us. They are all similar in price, also.

At this point, I do not know what to choose, or why, but have odd emotional attachments to them all because of my hometown attention and the wonderful phone call from Dauphine.

Any comments on these properties? THANK YOU!!!