Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Another different pickpocket/thief scam warning--so wear that moneybelt under your clothes

Another different pickpocket/thief scam warning--so wear that moneybelt under your clothes

Aug 28th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Another different pickpocket/thief scam warning--so wear that moneybelt under your clothes

We just returned from Poland and Germany. A German man who was staying at our pension told us about how he was robbed this month in the Krakow train station. He thought he had everything secure because he had his pouch or wallet in his front pocket and it was secured with a cord that was tied to his belt loop.

There were 3 guys in the train station who appeared to be acting silly and goofing around. They "accidentally" bumped into him and in an instant cut the cord and took the wallet which had the guy's passport and money. This man and his wife weren't as worried about the money; it was the passport that was the big hassle. This happened when they were on their way out of Krakow, so they had to go to the police station in 2 different cities, rent a car for a day, and drive to the German consular offices in a town that was 2 hours away so they could get a duplicate passport. So, I'll pass this along as one more warning to keep everything in a moneybelt under your clothes even if it is a hassle to take things in and out.

By the way, my son who is currently living in Eastern Europe says that he has heard there that the going rate for a US passport on the black market is $15,000.
Aug 28th, 2003, 10:09 AM
ira

Thanks for letting us know, julies.

I close my trouser pockets with safety pins.
Aug 28th, 2003, 02:44 PM

My passport and money was stolen in Germany and the passport was later found by a local citizen in a trash can. I guess Germany pickpockets must be pretty stupid if American passports go for $15,000!!
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Wemr

Re the passport: I was just repeating what he heard from his Polish friends. You notice, I did say in Eastern Europe.

Search this Thread