Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another DB Bahn train ticket question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-db-bahn-train-ticket-question-1113939/)

Travelforbeer Jun 21st, 2016 12:22 PM

Another DB Bahn train ticket question

I purchased an advanced low fare ticket on line from Db Bahn for an ICE train from Paris to Frankfurt Hbf. Can I use that ticket on the Sbahn to travel from the Hbf to the Frankfurt airport on the same day of travel?

Many thanks...

sparkchaser Jun 21st, 2016 01:22 PM

No. It is good only for that journey.

That being said, the chances of your ticket being checked on the Sbahn from the Hbf to the Flughafen is slim. Still, I'd buy the SBahn ticket -- it ain't that expensive.

PalenQ Jun 21st, 2016 01:25 PM

Why did you not simply book Paris to Frankfurt Flughafen (airport) - probably the same price.

Dukey1 Jun 21st, 2016 02:34 PM

Pal, will you PLEASE lighten up? If the person HAD done so and probably didn't even know he could I am sure he would not be HERE asking the question.

Travelforbeer Jun 21st, 2016 04:06 PM

Thanks Sparkchaser, I thought that was the right answer but it doesn't hurt to check. I'll spring for the Sbahn tickets.

Thanks Pal & Dukey1. Because of my SO's luggage constraints
I didn't want to change trains more than once, I didn't want to change trains in Karlsrhue with a 1.5 hour layover (and an extra 19 € cost) for the direct train to the Flughafen, and I couldn't figure out how to force the routing to the Flughafen through the Frankfurt Hbf. The train we're on goes direct from Paris Ost to the Frankfurt Hbf where we can buy 2 tickets and hop on the Sbahn to the Flughafen without a long wait.

Again, thanks to all.

((B))

traveller1959 Jun 22nd, 2016 05:55 AM

Look carefully on your ticket.

If there is printed "Frankfurt(Main) Hbf + City" then you may use the ticket for the S-Bahn. "+ City" is the key (I have it always, but I always travel first class and I have frequent traveller status).

Otherwise, you can get tickets for the S-Bahn at the ticket machines. Your destination is Frankfurt (Main) Flughafen Regionalbahnhof. The fare is 4.65€ per person.

The trains leave every 7 or 8 minutes and riding time is 11 minutes. The train station is within the terminal building.

greg Jun 22nd, 2016 06:40 AM

I don't know the hours you are travelling.
The S-Bahn is a commuter train and not design for people traveling with luggage especially during the rush hour. However, they don't have steps to get in/out.

The other routes to the FRA require change at Cologne, or Mannheim, or Karlsruhe, etc, with various amount of layover time. But these are THA-ICE or TGV-ICE, or ICE-ICE type of trains. These are long distance trains designed to accommodate people with luggage. They stop at stations longer than commuter trains to allow people with luggage to get on and off.
In the end, all the routes would have required at least two trains. The difference is what kind of two trains and the stations involved.
For example, some train changes at Mannheim would have required no track change, e.g. track 3 to track 3 change, or track 2 to track 3 change depending on the trains. If you look at the Mannheim station map, https://www.img-bahn.de/v/1606/img/s...an/8000244.pdf you see that the track 2 and track 3 are on the same platform, about 10 seconds to travel from one side to the other.

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2016 08:47 AM

Pal, will you PLEASE lighten up? If the person HAD done so and probably didn't even know he could I am sure he would not be HERE asking the question.>

dukey - yes he/she did know but not everyone would as you are certain of - I was wondering why beer guy did nodt take one of the routes greg mentions right to the airport rather than going thru Frankfurt Hbf - perhaps, as usual, you did not realize these other options?

Is there a trolley bus between Hbf and airport?

Travelforbeer Jun 22nd, 2016 10:51 AM

Thanks Traveler1959, The ticket says Frankfurt (Main) so I guess I'm out of luck. Thanks anyway

Thanks Greg and PalenQ- I had a difficult time with getting assigned seats for 2 on the trains of interest. This was in first class (SO's preference). Some of the trains included a leg on TGV trains which sold there advance tickets before the ICE train advance tickets were available. And by the time the ICE and TGV legs were both available the TGV advance purchase was already sold out. So I went to the all ICE trains.

The time of interest leaving Paris OST was 7 AM to 1 PM. I couldn't get seat assignments for any train before the ICE 9553 direct to Frankfurt at 13:01. (I still don't understand why the Dbahn site let me do everything down to the seat assignment page then indicated there were no seats available or that seats could not be assigned. But that is the subject of another discussion.) As Greg indicated, we could have changed trains in Karlsrhue and waited 1.5 hours for the next direct ICE train to the Flughafen, or left Karlsrhue earlier and made a second change in Mannheim. Both of these routes were a little more expensive and seats could not be assigned on all legs. So we opted to stay on the 9553 train all the way to Frankfurt (Main) as we were able to obtain good (I hope) seats. Then we will catch the SBahn (or RB) to the Flughafen.

Again, thanks to all for taking the time to help me.

((B))

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2016 10:55 AM

It is Paris EST! maybe Ost in German.

Cheers!

I've always had a first-class pass when traveling on German trains and almost always find several empty seats so if the seat reservations don't pan out don't worry.

PalenQ Jun 22nd, 2016 02:41 PM

Your mainline train will roll into Frankfurt Hbf on the upper surface level but the S-Bahns are on the lower level - you have to navigate escalators or stairs - you can get a luggage trolley at the platform your train arrives on - carry a one euro coin to disengage the trolley (you get the coin back if you return the cart to any of many luggage cart racks in station) - so not a seemless transfer and S-Bahns can also be very crowded at rush hours.

If you want to bop around Frankfurt a bit there are plenty of luggage lockers for that.

Travelforbeer Jun 22nd, 2016 11:29 PM

As usual, you are right Pal. In France it is Est not Ost. Is there an elevator between the upper level and the lower level at the Frankfurt Hbf?

I noticed that there are RE trains @17:08 and 17:24 leaving Frankfurt (Main) Hbf to Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf . And there is an Sbahn @ 17:38 that leaves from the
Frankfurt (Main) Hbf. Aren't these on the same upper level as the inbound ICE train? The other RBs, REs, and Sbahns in this time frame state that the route is from Frankfurt Hbf (tief) to the Frankfurt(M) Flughafen Regionalbf. Doesn't tief mean lower level?

Also, the DBahn site says "fares not available". Does this imply that the fare is the same for this route on any local train (Sbahn, RE, or RB)? If the answer is yes, can I buy Sbahn tickets and get on the 1st available transport (Sbahn, RE, or RB)?

Again, many thanks for the help!!!

((B))

Fussgaenger Jun 23rd, 2016 03:21 AM

Tief = lower level

Fares are not available from DB because the RMV transit authority sells tickets. Buy from any station ticket machine with a RMV logo. Fare is E4.65 for your trip from Frankfurt's main station to the Regionalbahnhof station at FRA. Use any train that is NOT a high-speed train (IC, ICE, EC) - S, RB, and RE are fine.

PalenQ Jun 23rd, 2016 10:28 AM

And there is an Sbahn @ 17:38 that leaves from the
Frankfurt (Main) Hbf. Aren't these on the same upper level as the inbound ICE train?

I was just giving general info I found that S-Bahns use the lower level - maybe all do not.

Kandace_York Jun 23rd, 2016 12:00 PM

Here's a link to a site with European train station floorplans, including for Frankfurt Hbf and Frankfurt Flughafen that should help explain the layout, elevator vs. escalator vs. stairs, etc.

https://www.nsinternational.nl/en/st...n_maps_germany

sla019 Jun 23rd, 2016 12:52 PM

www.bahnhof.de gives you a map and a list of facilities for every station in Germany.