Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Another car rental question...nothing's easy, or as it seems...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I obtained a quote from Dan Dooley, which was quite a bit less than others, and when I called the 1-800 number in New Jersey, I was advised that I had to pay for it upfront in US dollars, and I'm Canadian, so there will be another exchange to factor in.

I was told that this is most often the less expensive way to do it, as they charge the "bank" exchange rate, which is a better rate. That made sense because I know the rate online or in the papers are not what the customer pays. (can you tell I'm not a financial or business person?)

If I go to the Dooley website I'll be charged, I guess when I get there - that's not at all clear to me, in Euro's, which will be changed to US dollars and then into Canadian, and he said there would also be a 3% credit card charge for the Euro/US dollar exchange.

(I hate car rental companies)

My question is, do I pay upfront, or go on the assumption I can pay when I return the car, in Euro's.

I'm a simpleton, and not proud of that, when it comes to this, and I hate car rental companies.....

On the upside, we leave next Friday, and are so excited to get there!
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 01:53 PM

Wow,I assume you're telling us you know for a fact that your card charges the 3%. Here in the U.S., some debit cards (CapitalOne) don't charge the 3% on debit card transactions, though they now charge it on ATM transactions. Do you have anything like that?
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

That's what the gentleman in New Jersey told me. I actually think mine charges 2.5%, but no fee on out of country ATM transactions.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:05 PM

I try very hard to pay nothing up front.

What happens if your travel plans change? That's the question I ask myself.

I understand the 3% charge, that is, if that's what your bank card charges. I'm heading to eastern Eurpoe soon, so I got a Capital One card, which is purportedly 0%.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:10 PM

<i>as they charge the "bank" exchange rate, which is a better rate.</i>

I am suspicious because normally the vendor does not control the rate of exchange except when one agrees to the DCC charge system which costs more than the posted internet rate.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM

IN the US, most debit cards do charge 2-3 pct, so I don't see why that's such a big surprise. Cap One is an exception. Besides, we are talking about a credit card, not a debit card (although that is still true).

Shouldn't you be asking the company about whether you can pay when you return the car? That seems impossible to me. I know nothing about Dan Dooly but when I used AUtoeurope and paid in USD, they charged my card in advance as I recall, but I could have canceled with no penalty for some time period.

I wouldn't be making a decision based on a 2 pct difference when it was so convoluted (somehow paying Dan Dolley in cash). I'll admit this whole thing is pretty confusing. No one will let you take a car without some deposit on your credit card.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:15 PM

sugarmaple, Ireland is one of the most complicated places to rent a car IMO. There is another website www.irelandyes.com that might have more information about car rentals. I remember spending far more time than was enjoyable trying to decide on our car rental. We finally went with Avis out of Dublin using our World Mastercard to avoid excess insurance charges. Don't think that you are a simpleton, it made my eyes cross because car rental in Ireland is one nasty headache Deborah
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 02:18 PM

sugarmaple, just to clarify, our rental was through Autoeurope, our contract was with Avis. Good luck, Deborah
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:54 AM

Kilted over on TA does the route suggested in your question. send him a private message to get the in's and out's. I have heard of the Dan Dooley pre pay arrangement for people who do not have credit cards and they do get an equal amount of good not just bad press on the forums.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 02:29 AM

Rental companies block the rental fee on your card so they are guaranteed your money whenever you return the car.

I assume this is true for them. Even if you paid in Euros in cash at the end it would take up to two weeks for the block to be removed from your account making that amount unaccessible to you and sometimes incurring double fees. One once when blocked, another when returned.

VOE.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 03:42 AM

Payments are made on Collection (unless pre paid)not on return. The refunded and "Hold's" should be removed on return of the car. If a hold is not made on the return (not possible at key drops)contact your credit card provider immediately you arrive home and inform them of the case and block any monies being taken rather than Held.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:06 AM

The holds are assigned to be "removed" but can take many days to actually BE removed. We were told UP TO TWO WEEKS recently on a Miami rental.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If I go to the Dooley website I'll be charged, I guess when I get there - that's not at all clear to me, in Euro's, which will be changed to US dollars and then into Canadian, and he said there would also be a 3% credit card charge for the Euro/US dollar exchange.>>

why are you paying 2 lots of exchange fees? why aren't they just charging you in € , which your credit card co will convert that into Canadian $ when they get the bill?

sounds like the dynamic currency conversion scam x 2 to me.

personally I'd go with autoeurope, get their best deal, and bid Mr. Dooley farewell.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 04:45 AM

Two weeks for a Hold to be removed is BS it is the press of a button just as would be a refund on your card in a shop. Any delay is down to your card provider and not with the merchant/provider.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM

Just repeating the BS (what the agency said) on the phone. It did not TAKE two week but they said it COULD take up to two weeks to show up. What else can I say?
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 06:23 AM

It's a fair comment but the point I probably didn't make very well is that if someone tells you it will take up to a couple of weeks for the cash to be released back into your account! it might/should ring alarm bells. There have been several reports of damage charges being taken a week after cars were returned, maybe these are false reporting (it happens)but just be aware and make sure it doesn't happen to you.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 12:51 PM

sugarmaple, I can't help but wonder if you called AutoEurope and, if you did, what they told you.