Another book like "Pillars of the Earth"

Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:25 AM
Maren

Another book like "Pillars of the Earth"

Can anyone recommend books similar to "Pillars of the Earth", that is, long, intelligent, perhaps historical? I am a book club dropout, because I don't like modern fiction--"The Stone Diaries" comes to mind. I have read the really long post on books, but would appreciate more recommendations.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:54 AM
Judy

Hi Maren, it is not like "Pillars" as it does not pertain to Cathedrals, but "The Magic Circle" by Katherine Neville is long, intelligent and historical. It is fascinating and wildly imaginative.
I loved it!
Judy

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:24 AM
Dick

"Sarum" and "London" by Edward Rutherford are very similar, as are many of James Michener's works.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:33 AM
xx

I loved Pillars too. Although not exactly in the same vein, The Physician by Noah Gordon takes place in roughly the same time period. Also take a look at the works by Sarah Kay Penman (sorry if I spelled her name wrong).

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Dina

And I though I was the only person who'd read "The Physician". Couldn't put it down.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:59 AM
litcrit

try "Year of Wonder--A Novel of the Plague" by Geraldine Brooks, set in medieval England. Excellent read.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
Jessica

Hi Maren,

I thought I was being a book club snob because I do not like reading modern fiction very much!!!! I don't know why but it just does not appeal to me as much.

Like everyone else, Pillars is one of my all time faves. I read it as a senior in High School and have reread it since and even found a first edition hard back-yeah!

I have to agree that London is an excellent book and Sarum in on my "To Get" list. I am adding these other suggestions to that list as well.

I am in SC, maybe we could start a Fodors readers historical fiction club via the internet? Just a thought!

Happy reading,
Jessica

Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:21 AM
kam

The Conquest about William the Conqueror--can't remember author. Sharon Kaye Penman wrote Here Be Dragons, The Sunne in Splendour, When Christ and his Saints Slept. Of all of them the Sunne in Splendour I think is the most interesting--another look at Richard III. If you can get out of England for a while, there's The Girl with the Pearl Earring about the painter Vermeer. Very good.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:23 AM
xx

Right, Sharon nor Sarah! Another choice is Restoration by Rose Tremain (better than the movie). And I really liked Through a Glass Darkly and its sequel, Now Face to Face by Karleen Koen.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:24 AM
xx

Forgot to add, there's a historical fiction group on yahoo groups. Check in with them and see what they recommend...