Another battery charger volatage question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read many of the threads on voltage and converters and have one additional question. I have a battery charger (for AA batters, which my camera uses). It does not say dual voltage, but says input 110V, output 2X. I saw in one of the posts that as long as the OUTPUT was ok for 220V, it would work without a converter. Since my charger says 2X next to output, does anyone know if it would work?
It doesn't say who the manufacturer is, and I will go to a camera or electronics place to ask, but was just wondering if anyone here might know the answer.
Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:15 AM

I'm an electrical engineer, but I can't quite make out what kind of converter you have. Normally, if the input is 110V (ac) and the output is specified as 2X, that terminology would say that the output is twice the input. So with 110V input, the output would be 220V (ac). I doubt that the "output" of 220V would be usable.

However, you don't say the charger, which usually should have an output of a few volts (dc) to charge your batteries, has such an output, which is usually on a little coaxial line.

If, however, the battery charger is configured internally such that the 110V output, when converted to DC to charge the batteries, is the right level, and IF the transformer in the charger then converts the 110V to two times the voltage, you have the possibility that the charger is designed to operate with either a 220V or 110V INPUT.

My guess, without knowing what kind of charger you have, is that both the 110V input and the thing labeled 2X are both possible inputs. This would be the case if you have a connector (plug) that is located on the 110V input and a separate connector for the 2X point. There might also be a small switch somewhere on the charger, possibly near the 2X label, that allows you to switch to a 220V INPUT.

Just remember that the true OUTPUT of the charger is just a few volts, depending on the exact battery configuration. It would almost never be over 6 volts (dc). Good luck, and I hope I helped. If you are still confused, definitely go to a dealer who understands these things, not to a department-store clerk.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. It is a AA battery charger, in which you simply put the 4AA baters into it, then plug it into the outlet. There are not 2 separate plugs, just the one, and what I wrote is what it says on the back of the charger. I'll go to a camera store and see if they can help.
Thanks again.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM

From what you described, I believe you would need a converter in order to use the battery charger with the typical European 220V input. If there is only a single plug for input power, and if there is no switch of any kind, there couldn't reasonably be a way for the charger to handle 220V. Good luck.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Go to Radio Shack and buy a dual voltage charger for your batteries. While you're there, pick up a plug adapter for whatever country you'll be visiting.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Note: Something like <<Input: 100-240V>> would be dual voltage.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Many (perhaps most) chargers are designed to work on either 110 or 220 without any switching - all of my Canon camera battery chargers work this way. I can't explain electically how that's possible, but it is.

I also have the Radio Shack charger djkbooks is recommending - it clearly indicates on the back that it can accept either voltage (you will, of course, need the appropriate plug adapter, as others have mentioned, but not the converter that steps the voltage down). It also lists the OUTPUT as 2.8 volts.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I just hunted around the web site where I bought my camera and charger, and it looks like it is not dual voltage. (It is made by digital concepts, in case anyone else out there has one).
I've also now found several dual voltage chargers, they run about $30, including a set of batteries, so I'll just pick one up when I get my plug adaptor.
Thanks again all.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:33 AM

How about just buying AA batteries in Europe when needed? How long will you be there? if months then a charger would make sense. if couple of weeks, it seems to me that buying the new, extended life, made especially for digital cameras, AA batteries would be the better solution.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM

My Pentax takes AA batteries or this kind: Lithium-ion battery CR-V3, which looks like 2 AA batteries 'fused' together. The lithium battery lasts far, far longer than do the AA batteries, and the camera functions faster with it as well. 2-3 pks of these for your trip might allow you to travel w/o a charger, adaptor, etc. You could always fall back on AA batteries while in Europe, if need be.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I have a Canon A80, which takes 4 AA batteries loaded separately, so the batter packs will not work. I'm going to get a dual voltage charger, and bring plenty of AA batteries with me in case my rechargeables run out during the day.
Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 11:52 AM

You know they do have the same batteries for sale in Europe.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

I know I can get them over there, but I'll probably just go to Costco, get a big pack of them and just be done with it. That is one good thing about having a digital camera that takes AA's rather than proprietary batteries, you can get them no matter where you are.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I found a recharger that takes a cigarette adapter. I have this little device which I found very useful for my mobile phones that plugs into the mains and allows you to stick in the car adapter. These adapters are sold in the US by several of the mail order mobile phone merchants for about $10 and the nice thing is they are dual voltage (you look for input 110-220) but you need an adapter plug.

It works beautifully and the car adapters are very inexpensive.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:01 AM

I am not an electrical engineer, but I have stuck my finger in a few sockets !!!

If you are looking for a dual voltage charger the Maha PowerEx MH-C204W is a rapid charger with a built-in universal power supply (integrated 100-240V 50/60Hz). It also has other desirable features in a charger, and can be bought for about $40 with 4 AA batteries $30 without batteries.

You will still need an adapter (plug changer) or Maha does sell an optional power cords (A US dual prong power cord is included).
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Sounds to me like more stuff to carry.

I have 2 fresh AA cells in my camera when I leave home, and 2 spares in my possibles bag. When the ones in the camera are depleted, I throw them away, switch to the spares, and replenish when I get a chance.

Carrying spare rechargeables AND a recharger AND a converter AND backup cells AND having to recharge is just too many things for me.