Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another AutoEurope insurance question: Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-autoeurope-insurance-question-spain-767456/)

pdx Feb 13th, 2009 09:09 PM

Another AutoEurope insurance question: Spain

I'm sorry to open up this topic again, but I need to know....
On AutoEurope's explanation of coverage it states:
RENTAL DOES NOT INCLUDE

* Insurance coverage for personal injuries to driver or passengers. Optional coverage may be offered locally for an additional fee

The Visa coverage doesn't allow for personal injuries either.
Is this typically covered by stateside health plans/insurances?

Robert2533 Feb 14th, 2009 12:09 AM

It would depend on your personal insurance coverage. You would be best off buying a travel insurance policy if you have any questions, or if you are an American Express card holder, you can sign up for their car rental coverage. They now offer two policies for primary worldwide coverage up to $100,000 for $24.95 per rental period.

hetismij Feb 14th, 2009 12:34 AM

Unless your US health insurance covers you for worldwide health care you should always take out travel health insurance anyway!

ira Feb 14th, 2009 07:07 AM

Hi pdx,

Your auto insurance covers damage to the rental car and to 3rd parties that might be injured or damaged by the car.

Insurance for you and your passengers is separate.

Call your Homeowner's and your Health insurance companies to see if you are covered overseas.

((I))

ira Feb 14th, 2009 07:07 AM

PS,

No need to apologize for asking questions.

pdx Feb 14th, 2009 03:46 PM

Thanks.
I'll check with the homeowners/health insurance. As many times as I have gone on trips I should know this, but haven't bothered. I think I have more to lose nowadays and am paying more attention. Part of the aging process.

Aramis Feb 14th, 2009 04:51 PM

Most personal auto insurance DOES NOT cover damage to a rental car. Your policy must be specifically endorsed to have this coverage and it is usually limited in value. If you are from North America, it will most likely not apply outside of that region.

That is what Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) or Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is for. it IS NOT insurance but if you purchase the option, the rental company will waive the contractual obligation that you have to be responsible for all damage or loss to the rental vehicle.

Credit card coverage for damage to rental vehicles paid for by the card, is insurance, and is last in line - if you have coverage under your own policy via an endorsement that responds first. If, of course, you have purchased the CDW/LDW option, you have no responsibility for the damage.

So, if you don't have the proper endorsement (check with your broker/agent!), either purchase the CDW/LDW, or use a credit card (check with the card company as to EXACTLY what you have!) that will pick up your obligation under the rental agreement.

Robert2533 Feb 14th, 2009 06:59 PM

If you are from Canada or the USA, and waive the CDW, then your credit card (VISA, MC, Amex) is the insurer of first coverage. If you do not choose to waive the CDW, then these cards provide almost nothing in the way of coverage. As it is, the credit cards have a standard $250 deductible (VISA), but does not include "road damage" (flat tires, broken windows, lost wheel covers, etc), The standard CDW has a much higher deductible. The last time if cost me €600 out of pocket for what amounted to slightly more than €3000 in damage, a slight dent in the left rear quarter panel of a new car.

Your safest two options is to go for the zero deductible offered by the rental car company (which usually doubles your daily rental cost), or the Amex policy, if you qualify.

Cowboy1968 Feb 14th, 2009 09:43 PM

I rent thru brokers like AutoEurope in Spain quite regularly, and IME the insurance schemes follow this pattern:

1. Car (insurance declined, covered by renter's credit card - if applicable)
- deductible set by credit card company

2. Car + LDW/CDW (basic coverage most resellers offer)
not insured:
- deductible (appr €500-1000, depends on rental car company and size/value of car)
- damages to tires, glass, and undercarriage

3. Car + LDW/CDW + Reseller's deductible insurance
not insured:
- damages to tires, glass, and undercarriage

4. The specific rental car company may offer an extra "on top" insurance for damages to tires, glass, undercarriage upon pick-up. This would have cost me an extra fee of around €20 - per rental, not per day.

So what is the difference between waiving insurances because your CC covers it and taking CDW/LDW with your rental, since technically both should have the same effect?
(Coverage of the really big amount of money for loss or damages minus some deductible)

If you decide to waive rental car company's CDW/LDW and take your CC coverage instead, the rental car company will make YOU (and not your CC company's insurance) fully responsible to cover the damage.
They do not wait if it takes a bit longer for your CC insurance to process the claim.
They take what you owe them from your CC - which can be quite a bit of money with a major damage or total loss of car.
When your CC insurance is able to settle the claim in a speedy manner, fine. If not, you are xK Euros in debt and have to take whatever measures to get reimbursed.

I always use brokers or resellers which offer a #3 package (CDW/LDW from rental car company plus broker's insurance for deductible). That way the only claim that will become my responsibility to settle is the deductible.

And I find it much more relaxing to "worry" about how and when to get back €500 than €5K or €30K.

ira Feb 15th, 2009 05:53 AM

>They take what you owe them from your CC - ...
When your CC insurance is able to settle the claim in a speedy manner, fine. If not, you are xK Euros in debt and have to take whatever measures to get reimbursed.<

My Amex, Visa and MC agents all tell me that they put the charges from the rental firm in an escrow account until the claim is settled.

Thus, your credit limit is not affected.

This has been the experience of those who have reported about accidents on this and other forums.

It is very important that the claim from the rental agency be documented.

If you do have an accident, take pix if you can, file a police report.

The OP, however is not concerned with insurance for the car or third parties.

He wants to know about personal injury coverage for himself and passengers.

For that he needs to be insured either by his usual insurance or by an additional policy.

((I))

Cowboy1968 Feb 16th, 2009 01:22 PM

True, I got a bit carried away due to the prior discussion on insurance terms.

Nevertheless, we also had other posters here who wondered why some rental car company went after them for damages. And that they had to dispute those claims, true or false, since their CC company might not have been as co-operative as yours.

Since you can get rental cars from brokers with full CDW/LDW for as little as 100-120 Euros per week in Spain, I wonder if it's worth the hassle to save a few Euros.

Also, some do not know that in Spain, damages to glass, tires, and undercarriages are not insured by the usual insurance packages. I do not say that no insurance package will cover that, but it's worth to check the fine print for that specific detail.

These damages occur more frequently than serious accidents which require hospitalization, fortunately.

ira Feb 16th, 2009 01:24 PM

Hi CB,

> in Spain, damages to glass, tires, and undercarriages are not insured by the usual insurance packages.<

That's true in most countries.

Does the Super CDW (no deductible) cover those items?

((I))

Robert2533 Feb 16th, 2009 01:44 PM

Interesting question. The only time I ever added the Super CDW, I ended up not needing it, and so I can't remember what it covers.

Now I use the Amex coverage, so I no longer consider adding any additional insurance.

Cowboy1968 Feb 16th, 2009 01:59 PM

ira,

That is a hard one to answer, because brokers/ resellers seem to apply different terms (and rates) depending on country of residence.

When I rent from Germany (and I always use resellers/ brokers, not necessarily AE since others are usually cheaper), I only get one insurance option which would translate to "Super CDW" (full CDW/LDW from rental car company plus zero deductible via reseller) plus extended 3rd party liability insurance for up to 1 million Euros (also via reseller).
The only thing "missing" would be the aforementioned insurance of glass, tires and so on.. which is "usually" included when I rent for other countries.
So far, the only way to get the latter items insured was to buy extra insurance from the rental car company when I picked up the car. The costs were not worth mentioning.. 15-20 Euros per week or rental (I usually just go there for a week, so I do not remember precisely. But not per day, that I do remember).

So, all I wanted to say was that whatever you do, make sure you have in writing what is included, and what is not - and not simply decline any insurance thinking your CC company will cover it (unless you have read in the fine print that it does, obviously).

CarolA Feb 16th, 2009 03:45 PM

"If you are from Canada or the USA, and waive the CDW, then your credit card (VISA, MC, Amex) is the insurer of first coverage. If you do not choose to waive the CDW, then these cards provide almost nothing in the way of coverage. As it is, the credit cards have a standard $250 deductible (VISA), but does not include "road damage" (flat tires, broken windows, lost wheel covers, etc), The standard CDW has a much higher deductible. The last time if cost me €600 out of pocket for what amounted to slightly more than €3000 in damage, a slight dent in the left rear quarter panel of a new car.

Your safest two options is to go for the zero deductible offered by the rental car company (which usually doubles your daily rental cost), or the Amex policy, if you qualify.":

Actually the truth is that this is "general information" that may or may not be true in your case.

For example I have both a Diners Card Mastercard and a USAA Mastercard that provide PRIMARY coverage with NO deductible. And having filed a claim with Diner's Club for car damage in Spain I can tell you that.... I filed claim and that was that... nothing ever hit my credit card!

So it pays to know your policy and not depend on the posters here who don't know your credit cards etc.

Also, Amex may or may NOT be an "automatic" coverage depending on your card. They offer TONS of options now and some of them don't automatically cover car rentals!

Robert2533 Feb 16th, 2009 06:20 PM

No, you actually have to sign up for the Amex coverage and be approved. It's not even automatic for Amex Platinum card holders, but it is good coverage.

drtravels Feb 18th, 2009 02:13 PM

Well, here's another version from my new Delta Amex. "declines the full CDW or similar option, or pays for a partial CDW, offered by the Rental Company;"

My upcoming Auto Europe has the basic CDW with 600 euro deductible. I called AMEX and they viewed the above coverage would be secondary and apply towards the deductible. Also, they stated any charge on the credit card towards damage would be "held" and not required to be paid until the claim is resolved.

Given this information, I'm inclined not to purchase the $24.95 AMEX Premium coverage.

Thoughts?

ira Feb 19th, 2009 04:39 AM

Hi Rob and Drt,

>you actually have to sign up for the Amex coverage and be approved. <

There are two levels of Amex coverage:

The basic, which comes with the gold card, is CDW for the rental car.

The plan for which you need approval (premium) is extended coverage for the driver and passengers.

I don't bother with the premium coverage, as my BC/BS covers me in Europe.

((I))