Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Another ATM question re: PIN (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/another-atm-question-re-pin-220348/)

belinda May 14th, 2002 08:47 AM

Another ATM question re: PIN

Went to my bank to change my PIN to four digits from six and was told that my bank does not issue four digit PINs. However, the very nice lady assured me that my Visa ATM/checkcard will work in Europe using six digits at any ATM with a Pulse logo. Does anyone have any experience with this? Help!

freda May 14th, 2002 08:58 AM

Sometimes 6 digits will work, sometimes they won't. I wouldn't chance it. Ask for a second card, and insist on a 4 digit PIN for it. If they can't accomodate you, switch banks. (I like having 2 cards anyway, since I've got a backup in case of machine-eats-card syndrome.)

Ted May 14th, 2002 09:00 AM

Even if your ATM/debit card will not work with 6 numbers, not to fret. You can still go into a bank that's a member of the PLUS network, go up to a teller and get a CASH ADVANCE. This is considered to be a POS (point of sale) transaction and does not require a PIN. Only draw back is the potential language barrier and the bank hours.

greg May 14th, 2002 09:19 AM

Ted,<BR>If PIN is not required, then you are relying on the "VISA" logo on the card to get the cash? VISA/PLUS network membership is transparent because PLUS network bank also means VISA member. Then those who dropped VISA/MC logos for fear of having their account emptied when the debit cards are stolen would not be able to go into the bank to get cash? Debit card without VISA/MIC logos don't have to have name or signature on the card so I do not see how bank can verify that you are the owner of the card.

Ted May 14th, 2002 10:05 AM

Greg. Read the original post first before you make up a stupid answer. Belinda obviously has a VISA/PLUS Bank Card also known as a debit card, not a simple ATM card as has been discussed to death around here. A VISA/PLUS debit card holder (or thief)can walk into any member network bank anywhere in the world and do what is known in the industry as a POS cash advance and get money up to the card's daily limit, WITHOUT A PIN NUMBER!!! This is entirely different than an ATM machine transaction. If you don't beleive me, telephone your bank and ask them. This is the concern of many posters here about debit cards and how you must protect them with you life. Just 'cuz a thief can still get cash with them without ever knowing the PIN number.

belinda May 14th, 2002 11:50 AM

Thanks Ted. I did not realize that was an option. I understand banking hours are a little different than in the US. As for the language barrier, I bet if I show the teller my empty pockets and hand them my card with a Euro amount written on a note, the message would be clear. :o)

elvira May 14th, 2002 01:51 PM

You can also get a "cash advance" at many exchange bureaus (look for the VISA/MC logos on the window). The bureaus are open "tourist" hours, so no need to panic if you need money during the banks' off hours.<BR><BR>Also, heads-up about the time difference (especially if you're from the Western part of the U.S.). Most banks batch around midnight-2am THEIR time, which means 9-llam in most of Europe, if your bank is in California. That means no access...so get your money the day before or plan on after 11am (not as much of a problem if you're from the east coast - time difference is 6 hours). I found out the hard way...

travelers checks? May 14th, 2002 02:15 PM

If you have to go INto a bank, then wouldn't it be easier just to use (old-fashioned) travelers checks?<BR><BR>I'm normally a big ATM fan but once it becomes an in-bank/teller transaction, I fail to see the advantage. And both have small/similar fees associated.

Ahmed May 15th, 2002 12:07 AM

Belinda, I have been using Visa/ATM issued by HSBC, Bahrain with 6 digits. I have used it all over Europe with ATM PLUS sign with no problem.