Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anniversary in Bellagio - where is the romance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:06 PM
iris

We will be spending our anniversary in Bellagio with my sister-in-law and her husband. And believe it or not, we have the same anniversary. I hear Bellagio is very charming and romantic. Does anyone have any recommendations for an evening to rememember?

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:35 PM
iris

What?... no romance... where are you all? I can't believe NO one has had any special moment in Bellagio. This is our first trip to Italy. The description of Lake Como and Bellagio are to die for, but I would like to hear comments on what makes it so special. Restaurants, sites to see. etc...

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:44 PM
Cupid

Dear Iris, mi ami. Bellagio is indeed a special place. The scenery is gorgeous and large, the colors are sharp and crystal, the people are friendly, relaxed. But, ah, you ask where is the romance? Is like asking where is the sky, the moon, the blue waters of the lake. These things you must find for yourself, for the only thing that Bellagio can do for you, . . . is be Bellagio. I wish I could say "May you find romance" in Italian. But I do wish it for you.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM
faye

Dear Cupid <BR>you make my heart pant.... I do hope to find this romance in the sky, moon and blue waters as you speak.. Thank you for your best wishes!! <BR> <BR>Any one else??? There must be romance there... where is it?? Any magical moments? <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:57 PM
Howard

We had an excellent meal at Bilacus in Bellagio. Address: Salita Serbelloni 30/32. If it's warm enough, definite dine al fresco. <BR>What makes Bellagio and the rest of Lake Como special? It's hard to pinpoint the reasons. It's a beautiful, relaxing, scenic and magical area. Why? I really can't put into words, but it is. <BR>Things to see and do? <BR>Visit the Villa Melzi and Villa Serbelloni in Bellagio. And, just walk around the town. <BR>Take the ferry to Varenna--a charming town across the lake from Bellagio. Walk thru the town and visit the Villa Monasterio. Take another ferry to Tremezzo and tour the Villa Carlotta. <BR>Here are a couple good websites: <BR>www.fromitaly.net/bellagio.htm <BR>www.lunadesigns.com/travels/bellagio.htm

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Howard

PS: Forgot to ask: When are you going? That could make a difference in whether the above recommended places are open, and how much will blooming.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Rex

I was in Menaggio/Bellagio last September - - with friends I like very dearly - - but not with the woman I love, my wife. The moment I wished most she was there was after dinner at Villa d'Este (Cernobbio) when all of us went out and sat for drinks under the sky where the hotel had a three-piece ensemble playing delightfully. <BR> <BR>This easily surpassed other superb experiences at the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni (in Bellagio) and a "Serenata Musicale" special dinner at the Grand Victoria in Menaggio. <BR> <BR>It will be where you find it. <BR>

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
zombywoof

I must agree with the above replies. My wife and I spent the first three nights of our honeymoon in Bellagio...it was one of our favorite places ever. I do not have details of our favorite restaurants, sights, etc., but you do not need to pre-plan much. The town is small, the locals friendly. We just asked about restaurants and were never disapointed. While enjoying a beer, we met some locals and were invited back to their apartment where we had a great time learning about local life. This place is magical. We were there in May, so the flowers and gardens were spectacular. <BR> <BR>You will remember every evening. <BR> <BR>ZombyWoof

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:50 AM
igor

Does anyone have any recommendations <BR>for the hotels in Bellagio? <BR> <BR>Igor

Old Feb 28th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Howard

My compliment, Zombywoof (where does that name come from?). You've have captured the magic of Bellagio beautifully. <BR>Igor, try the Hotel Belverdere. It's located about 10-minute scenic walk from the downtown/waterfront area. The hotel staff is wonderful--helpful, attentive and accommodating. And, the views of the from your room balcony are incredible. Ask for a room on the third floor or higher. <BR>website: www.belvederebellagio.com <BR>email: [email protected]

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:57 AM
iris

Howard, <BR>Thanks for the comments about the Hotel Belvedere. That is where we are staying for our anniversary! <BR> <BR>We will be arriving by ferry with luggage (of course!) What's the best way to get to the hotel. I know its uphill, should we get a cab? There will be 4 of us traveling together.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:17 AM
howard

Iris, we had a car, so I'm not sure about taxis. I suggest you contact the hotel. Maybe they'll pick you up. Or at least, they can suggest how to get a cab. As I said above, the staff is most accommodating! <BR>When you contact them about transportation, ask if you can have rooms on the third floor or above! The higher you are, the better the view. <BR>I assume you are taking the ferry from Como to Bellagio. If so, I would recommend you take the fast one that only makes 3 or 4 stops and takes about 45 minutes. The slower ferry takes about 2 hours and makes many more stops. Sure, it's a pretty ride, but, I'd rather spend that extra hour and a quarter in Bellagio. And, besides, you'll probably be on the ferries a few other times during your stay to see some of the other towns. <BR>You're going to love it there! When are you going? <BR>(A shopping tip: Did you know that the Lake Como area is the second largest producer of silk in the world? It's second only to China, we were told.)

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 07:40 AM
igor

I understand that in order to get to Bellagio, you have to take a ferry from Como. But how do you get to Como - is there a major airport near Como (or a railroad station)?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 08:39 AM
Rex

You don't HAVE to take a ferry to get to Bellagio; you CAN drive there from Como (going up the "inside" of the "Y"). <BR> <BR>But to answer your question, Como is close to Milan, In fact, Como is closer to Milan Malpensa airport than downtown Milan is. <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:21 AM
igor

Do you think we can arrange for a car to pick us up from Milan Airport and drive us to Bellagio for a reasonable price?

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:23 AM
howard

Igor, I would think it's possible without breaking the bank. I believe it's about 40 kilometers from Malpensa to Bellagio. (Rex is correct. Malpensa is closer to Lake Como than the city of Milan.) The first part of the trip to Como is easy. The second half takes longer, as it is a narrow, winding road. <BR>I might suggest that you email your hotel and ask about limo services.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 03:31 AM
iris

Howard, <BR>We will be in Bellagio early July. Thanks for the tip on requesting a room at the Belvedere. We have reservations for a lakeview, but I didn't request anything specific. <BR> <BR>What would you recommend for a restaurant? Should we eat at the Belvedere? in Bellagio? other recommendations elsewhere?

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:27 AM
howard

The food at the Belevedere is okay. Not bad, but nothing great. What is interesting is noticing that the maitre d' at dinner might look familiar to you, as he might have been filling another role at the hotel earlier in the day! <BR>I recommend Bilacus, a short walk from the hotel. If the weather cooperates, sit outside. For lunches, we just ate where we happened to be, usually sitting outdoors. <BR>As for getting a room higher up in the hotel, I suggest you email them and request same. ([email protected]). They'll probably answer back that they will try to accommodate you. But, at least you've made your request and that may help. Good luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:53 AM
iris

Howard, <BR>I sent an email just this morning to the Belvedere to request a room, 3rd floor or above, and also regarding transportation from the ferry. <BR> <BR>Thanks for all the information!

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 10:59 AM
bob

This may be an old posting but for others who pull this up on a search - we spent our honeymoon in Bellagio at the Villa Serbelloni. It was incredibly romantic. We had dinner on the outdoor patio as the sun set. Violins were playing in the background. I cannot remember any time in my life that I was moved as much by the combination of sights, sounds, and smells as that evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -