Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Annexe Hotel in London? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/annexe-hotel-in-london-267368/)

Angela Oct 21st, 2002 06:29 AM

Annexe Hotel in London?

Has anyone stayed at the Annexe Hotel B&B on Hugh Street in Victoria? Smoothhound has it listed at a very inexpensive price, and their website looks ok. I am just looking for an inexpensive, clean room in a decent area for a short trip next month.<BR>Also, thank you to everyone who posts here. This has been a great resource for me as I plan my trips.

Dave Oct 21st, 2002 09:12 AM

Angela,<BR><BR>I've booked the Annexe for the last week of November at 22GBP for a single. I haven't stayed there before, so I'm taking a chance, but it is very close to Victoria Station, which is a big plus for me. <BR><BR>My only real concern is cleanliness. I haven't been able to find any reviews or ratings. I guess if it is too bad I will get it taken care of or try to find another place.<BR><BR>From the maps I've seen, it looks like the railway lines from Victoria may be just behind the hotel, so noise could be a problem, if that concerns you.<BR><BR>In the past I've stayed at Luna&Simone Hotel, which is a few blocks further from Victoria (closer to Pimlico Tube Station) along Belgrave Road. A single there is around 35GBP.

Angela Oct 21st, 2002 12:42 PM

Dave,<BR>Thanks for your reply. I haven't been able to find any reviews, either, but find your information reassuring as far as the area (train noise I can handle!).<BR>

Dave Dec 3rd, 2002 06:00 AM

Just returned ...<BR><BR>Re the Annexe Hotel. Apparently there are several places along Hugh Street under the same management - reception is in Holly House Hotel and my room ended up being in Ivy House Hotel.<BR><BR>The room was only as clean as it had to be, and the mattress was barely sleepable (and I've spent a lot of time camping, so I'm not picky). My front-facing room was fairly quite, but there are railway lines behind so noise could be a serious problem for rear-facing rooms.<BR><BR>The real low-point was the shared shower. I've seen some pretty amazing convert-a-closets in my trips to Britain, but this one took the prize. Shower, toilet, and sink in a 3ft x 4ft room (no joke). And this was NOT en-suite! On the positive side, I'm much more flexible now than I was two weeks ago.<BR><BR>Bottom line: I got a great internet rate, but even so this room barely cleared my minimum threshhold (which is pretty low). If I had paid much more than 22GBP I would have been very unhappy.<BR>

Angela Dec 5th, 2002 05:05 AM

Dave,<BR>I had EXACTLY the same experience! I also ended up at Ivy House, in a front room, with that amazing box of a shower room. The room was barely more than a closet, which I expected. However, it REEKED of stale smoke and mustiness, which almost killed me--I am a non-smoker, but I think this was to such an extent even a smoker would have been bothered. For 22 pounds a night, it was (almost) bearable. The upside to me was the proximity to Victoria Station.