Annecy, France or Meersburg, Germany?

Jan 8th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Annecy, France or Meersburg, Germany?

We're travelling for several weeks next summer. We will definitely be spending time in Germany - Munich, Regensburg, Berchesgaden, Fussen as well as France - Dordogne, Pyrenees, Normandy.

Which do you think we be a better 3 night stop? Meersburg (Lake Constance/Bodensee) or Annecy? Both look gorgeous and are on my must-see list for someday.

I should mention that we're travelling with our 4 and 6 year old daughters. We also have a car. We love natural beauty, a little adventure, castles, culture, food, drink, fun things for kids. We're less into museums this trip.

Thank you for your opinions!
Jan 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM

I cannot speak to the Lake Constance/Bodensee area, but after Annecy is absolutely charming and, with it's adjacent lake and towering mountains the scenery is beautiful. There are paddle boat rentals and motorboat/ferry rides to entertain the children and a lovely park. I wonder though about staying there for three nights. That may be a bit long for this setting.
Jan 8th, 2011, 07:06 PM

Both are charming and good to be on your must see list. Have you considered Lindau on Lake Constance and a day trip to Meersburg?
That would give you two charming places in one stay. We took the boat to Meersburg and enjoyed our day, but Lindau was our favorite.
Lindau and Annecy both have nice promenades along the lake, but in Lindau there are hotels and restaurants along with the boat/lake steamers service to the other villages. Annecy's promenade joins the park,has boat service, but I don't recall any hotels or restaurants along the promenade. In Lindau there are bike/walking paths along the lake, also nice park, paddle boats and lots of beautiful swans in the lake. Friedrichshafen is another stop with the Zeppelin Museum. We did not go but enjoyed seeing the dirigibles flying when we were on the boat. Happy travels!
Jan 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your thoughts! I will look into Lindau. Maybe it will be a better option over Meersburg. I will also spend some more time reading guide books to see if I'm tempted more one way or the other. We just don't have time in our trip for both places. Finding city parks will a top priority on this trip!
Jan 9th, 2011, 09:15 PM

I think you could easily see Lindau and Meersburg in your 3 days.
Jan 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM

I love Annecy. once staying by the lake, another year in the town. Watch the French Film Claire's Knee to see how beautiful
the lake is,
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM

You can visit Lindau just as easily from Meersburg as you can visit Meersburg from Lindau.

Meersburg probably qualifies as "quainter", and has more of small town feel than Lindau.

When I return, Meersburg will be my base - again.

Search this Thread