Reload this Page >

Annecy day trip recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Karen

I've been reading loads of postings here, and have decided to spend a few days in Annecy (using it as a base to visit other towns/villages/etc in the surrounding area). Can anyone out there tell me if going to Perrouges is too far as a day trip? What about Beaune? Or are there any other recommendations for Burgundian / Beaujolaisian (sp?) villages to visit on a day trip? Also has anyone out there been to the Gorges de Fier? Is it worth a trip? And as a last question, does anyone have any good recommendations for day-hike with great views near or above Lac Annecy? Thanks in advance.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 12:27 PM
mimi taylor

Karen, taking the main road out of Annecy, you can get to Peruges in a few hours, lunch in this beautiful ancient village. We have spent a night there in two different trips. In annecy on the lake, I can recommend Pere Brise and the Auburge de Eriden.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:22 AM
Karen

Thanks Mimi. I appreciate the response. By the way, did you get to Macon or la Dombes? (My husband loves to go bird-watching, though he is not a "twitcher" and the Dombes ornithological park sounds beautiful).

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 03:01 AM
Karen

Has anyone out there been to the Bird Park at les Dombes (near Villars les Dombes) on their journeys through Beaujolais? I think it's near Perouges...

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Karen

Anyone?? (Last time I'll try)

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Karen

Maybe now that the indexing is working I might get some views...? (This really will be the last time) Thanks

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:33 AM
Florence

Bonjour Karen,<BR><BR>I am ashamed to tell that although I cross the Dombes on a monthly basis to visit my parents, I haven't been to the ornithological park. However, a friend of mine, a keen ornithologist, has praised it highly and promised he would chastise me severely should I miss it next time ;-)<BR><BR>From Geneva, going to P&eacute;rouges through the freeway (A40 and A42) takes about 1 1/2 hour, it must be a little more from Annecy.<BR><BR>Another idea for a daytrip is "Jardins Secrets" in Rumilly ( http://jardins-secrets.com/index.html - the English part is not complete yet but email me if you need a translation). I haven't been there yet, having just found the information this morning.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Karen

Thank you Florence for your response. If we go and if it is worth the stop, I'll post it onto the Fodors site. Les Jardins Secrets also look like a nice stop.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 09:57 AM
Georgine

Karen,<BR><BR>We've been to the Gorges de Fier and enjoyed it very much. It is not a far distance from Annecy--maybe twenty five to thirty minutes (if my memory serves me correctly).<BR><BR>We made a day trip by doing a counter-clockwise circle around the lake. We went to the Gorges first---quite impressive---and then continued around the lake, stopping at markets and any other interesting sites that struck our fancy, ending up in Talloires (?) for a late lunch and some swimming and sunning at its pleasant lakeside, grassy beach area.<BR><BR>You only need about 45 minutes in total to walk the length of the gorge and return to the ticket turnstile area. You will walk a wooden "catwalk" midway between the rushing riverbed below and the top of the gorge high above. There are markers along the way showing the various flood levels since checking began in the late 19th century. The gorge is cool, peaceful, very narrow in spots, as well as offering some impressive areas of rock strata. <BR><BR>You may get a bit "sprayed" on here and there by the rushing water--but that is part of the experience.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Karen

Thanks for all your suggestions (I haven't been on the forum for a while). Gorges de Fier sounds like a pretty nice "nature" day trip. Does anyone have any views on visiting to the Drome or to Burgundy/Beaujolais as day trips from Annecy? Or would it be better as an overnighter or two... and which area would be better? Looking for nice scenery/views, pleasant B&B or Gite, good food, nice sightseeing nearby...