Ankara - is this a secret place

Feb 20th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Ankara - is this a secret place

I'm lucky enough to be going to Ankara this summer for a couple of weeks on business. I know nothing much about real Ankara (as opposed to guidebook Ankara) but it isn't a place that seems to get much coverage on the message boards either.

I guess this may be because it's a working city - but any insider tips/trip reports greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to expect!
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:29 AM

Well, Ankara is quite nice depending the angle you are looking from.... To me very down to earth city where actually you can find anything & everything. In terms of Tourism The Anatolian Civilisation museum is one of the best museums to visit, Mouseleum of Ataturk, the Castle and shopping area of old & new & antiques, the New museum of Cengelhan Museum & caffee, may restaurants, new boutique hotels, shopping malls, good restaurants and educated folks....... I like Ankara personally... As well you are so close to Cappadocia and can use this option for weekend getaways....
Enjoy your time in Turkey,
Murat
Feb 21st, 2006, 10:37 AM

My recent trip took me through Ankara, and I ended up enjoying it more than I anticipated. We enjoyed our stay in the old city, and our visit to the museum Propertravel refers to which was just down the street. It was a pleasant surprise!
Feb 21st, 2006, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for this. Any and all suggestions very welcome
Mar 3rd, 2006, 08:59 PM

Museum of Anatolian Civilisations and Old City/Citadel vicinity which is 5 minutes walk up toward the hill from the museum are areas to visit. You may want to have your lunch at Washington Restaurant in the Citadel. If you are interested in historical sites, about 60 Km east of Ankara the capital of the Hitittes was situated around 1500 BC and some of the artifacts that you will see in the museum are from this cite. The carvings on the huge rock is still there. Ataturk's mausoleum is another spot to visit in Ankara. Please read about Ataturk and his reforms, a man, a leader changed the history in Asia Minor, brough democracy to a country and its people.

DEIFINITELY, YOU MUST TAKE OFF IN AN AFTERNOON OF A FRIDAY ON A BUS OR RENT A CAR AND GO TO CAPPADOCIA. STAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY WILL 3:00 PM AND DRIVE BACK TO ANKARA. YOU WILL REGRET LEAVING TURKEY WITHOUT SEEING CAPPADOCIA. It is only 3-4 hours driving and once you get out of Ankara, road is very good and there is not much traffic at all. I am sure the Turkish friends of yours will go out of their way to help you on your "out of town" plans during the week ends. Dont say,"no". Accept their help, that is how Turks are. If you need more correspondance and information, help, contact me.