Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Angers and/or Saumur (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/angers-and-or-saumur-332195/)

yk Mar 28th, 2008 01:19 PM

Angers and/or Saumur

We have been invited to a wedding ceremony this Fall at Chateau Challain, in Challain-la-Potherie which is about 45km NW of Angers.

I'm tentatively putting some sort of itinerary together. We were in the Loire Valley last year and visited the *main* attractions ~ mostly in the central/Eastern Loire.

The wedding is at 3pm on a Sunday.

We will fly into CDG on Saturday morning then connect TGV to Angers. The TGV will arrive in Angers around 1pm Saturday afternoon.

Since we don't do very well after an overnight trans-atlantic flight, I think we'll just pick up a rental car and drive to our logding for a nap.

I'm not sure yet if we'll be staying at Chateau Challain or perhaps a B&B near Angers (a few listed on Karen Brown's guide).

If we have enough energy that Saturday late afternoon, we may venture out to Angers.

However, if we're too tired, we'll only have Sunday morning to do some sightseeing, say from 9am-1pm.

I assume 4 hours is only enough for one town: either Angers or Saumur. Which one would you choose?

I'm quite intrigued by the tapestries at the chateau in Angers, but also read that Saumur is really beautiful. Is there anything to see inside the chateau in Saumur?

Please tell me which town you would choose and why. Thanks!

Lawchick Mar 28th, 2008 01:28 PM

Saumur - for the wine

QueScaisJe Mar 28th, 2008 02:44 PM

yk, the Château de Saumur is on an impressive cliffside overlooking the river and town, but when we last visited (2006) the interior was closed for reconstruction. However if you are into tanks (doubtful!), the Musée des Blindés on the edge of town is a must-see.

With just 4 hours, I'd would just stay in Angers and see the tapistries. The town itself is also quite pretty and worth an afternoon.

Christina Mar 28th, 2008 02:55 PM

I haven't been to Saumur, so can't say how interesting it is, but Angers is a very attraction city, also, and there are definitely other things to see than just those tapestries. I'm not that batty about tapestries, myself, actually, even though I saw them.

They have a few other museums, and an interesting cathedral, also.

Padraig Mar 28th, 2008 03:11 PM

Saumur is my favourite Loire city but, in the circumstances you outline, I suggest that Angers would be much more manageable -- and it is a good city for a half-day visit (or, indeed, longer).

I'm not at all interested in tapestries, but those who are seem to be really taken with those in Angers.

It's a while since I have been in the chateau in Saumur, but I thought the exterior much more appealing than the interior.

I share Lawchick's position on the wine. Saumur Champigny is very much liked in this house. You can drink it in Angers.

yk Mar 29th, 2008 07:05 AM

Looks like the vote is for Angers. topping for more opinions.

Langcraft Mar 30th, 2008 07:19 AM

I have spent time in both Angers and Saumur. Angers is a convenient base, the TGV station at Gare St. Laud is only a 10 minute walk from the Chateau. The Chateau d'Angers is one of the older chateau/fortresses of the region. Saumur is a lovely city right on the banks of the Loire river. Be advised that last May, when I was in Saumur, the chateau was under extensive renovation. I'd opt for Angers, given the fact that it is closer to where the wedding is being held.

bilboburgler Mar 30th, 2008 07:25 AM

I think Saumur is nicer but if in Angers I'd stay put

BTilke Mar 30th, 2008 07:36 AM

Although we liked Saumur, we liked Angers much, much more. In addition to the castle, you can also stroll the old town and relax in the attractive Jardin des Plantes. It has several good, moderately priced restaurants and overall, the city has one of the nicest "vibes" of any place we've been to in France.

panecott Mar 30th, 2008 07:56 AM

Under different circumstances I would choose Saumur b/c of the castle and b/c it is a picturesque town, but based on the information you gave, I think Angers is the best bet.