Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andrews Credit Union ATM card in Italy Does it work? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andrews-credit-union-atm-card-in-italy-does-it-work-951586/)

moo Sep 24th, 2012 12:55 PM

Andrews Credit Union ATM card in Italy Does it work?

I am finalizing my plans for Italy and have decided in addition to one Visa based ATM card (which charges a 3% fee in addition to a $5 non Chase machine fee + a local ATM fee) I am going to take and use my newly acquired Andrews Credit Union ATM card. Has anyone ever used this in Italy with positive results?

I recently opened my account at Andrews CU to take advantage of their Chip and PIN Globe Trek Visa credit card and received a non-VISA Check Card ATM card issued directly from Andrews (has no logo only the name of the Andrews Credit Union on the front of it). My understanding is that there is a 1% transaction fee and an additional fee from the issuing ATM if the transaction is not done on one of the CU network machines.

Having not used this Andrews Credit Union ATM card before, has anyone used it and what was your experience like? Did it work? Did you have any problems using it since it is issued from a credit union and not a bank? Trouble finding an ATM that would accept it? It's networks are Cirrus, STAR and Co-Op network.

I have run out of time to acquire any other ATM card so others at this point are not an option. (takes to long in the mail for permanent cards to arrive -- leaving next week)

Michael Sep 24th, 2012 12:58 PM

European banks do not charge for their use of ATM cards. If the Andrews ATM card works in Europe, you should have only a 1% conversion fee. But best would be to check with the Credit Union, and tell them when you will be traveling abroad.

Michael Sep 24th, 2012 01:00 PM

<i>European banks do not charge for their use of ATM cards</i>

I meant their ATM <b>machines</b>. BTW, my credit union charges for non-credit union withdrawals in the States, but not for similar withdrawals abroad.

nytraveler Sep 24th, 2012 01:15 PM

What ATM networks is it a part of? If it has the logo of some of the major networks it should work. If not part of the networks you may not get access.

Bank ATMs in europe do not charge fees for use by US cards. However, as in the US commercial ATMs - in drugstores or airports, etc. may have a fee ($2 per withdrawal or whatever). if they do it should be noted before you finalize the transaction.

hollywoodsc Sep 24th, 2012 03:12 PM

Make sure your pin is only 4 numbers (not alpha) for the Italy atm keypads.
Have you asked your credit union if they have any 'sister' banks in Italy? I have one bank that doesn't charge a fee if I use a specific bank in Italy. The other one does and also charges a non-bank atm fee. I'll take it for emergency only.
If you are going to be charged an atm fee, take out the maximum instead of small amounts daily.

nytraveler Sep 24th, 2012 05:34 PM

Anyone using ATMs should always take out enough for 3 or 4 days at a time. It never makes sense to take out anything less than a couple of hundred $ - not even in the US (unless you have a lot of time and money to waste).

janisj Sep 24th, 2012 10:27 PM

The logo on the front (or lack there of) doesn't matter much. It is the networks displayed on the back - namely Cirrus and STAR. So you shouldn't have a problem.

As mentioned, banks in Italy won't charge you to use their machines - only your own banks will.

Andrew Sep 25th, 2012 01:55 AM

I have two credit union accounts, and with both, I pay only a 1% fee (Visa's fee passed on) to use my card overseas. I also get 5 free withdrawals at a non-CU ATM per month. Both cards worked great in Poland and Czech Republic recently.

Dukey1 Sep 25th, 2012 02:06 AM

If someone hasn't mentioned it, you should also be aware of the maximum amount you are allowed to withdraw from your account in any 24-hr period.

BTW, if you use an ATM machine in Italy and for some reason the transaction is declined, go to another machine and try again.