Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht, Netherlands - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm thinking about taking my parents to an Andre Rieu concert in Maastricht in July. I have looked at hotels in Maastricht but there doesn't seem to be many and the ones with availability are expensive. Does anyone have any ideas on somewhere to stay close to Maastricht that would be easy for us to get to the concert.
I have never been to the Netherlands before so would appreciate some ideas.
Thanks
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:33 AM

When I need to be somewhere I don't know on a fixed date , I straightaway book a chain hotel which I am happy with e.g. Novotel. Make sure that it is fully cancellable. Then you have time to search at your leisure for something which you may like more or which is more suitable. It may be that you end up using your initial booking.
I've have learnt to do this over many years when I have booked the reason for the visit e.g. the concert or a flight and then left the accomodation for the time being.Sometimes it has led to some disastrous last minute accomodation!
I'd book today
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 05:36 AM

Maastricht hotels are always expensive imho. It is a great, very un-Dutch, city, but pricy. Things like the Rieu concerts of course push up the prices.

Have a look at Valkenburg, and Houthem St Gerlach, both of which have stations. In Maastricht you can then either walk to Vrijthof, where the concerts are held I believe, or get a bus.
Also look at Beek (Limburg) and Elsoo. They share a station.

Have a look at chains like Fletcher too. They often offer a good deal, and I know they have a few hotels down there, though I don't know how accessible they are by public transport.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

That's brilliant! A good place to start, thank you. I'll be coming from the Brussels direction as we'll hopefully be driving down. Anshan would be a nice close place to stay to the west of Maastricht?
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 07:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Enjoy the concert because the guy is a real showman and I believe Maastricht is his home town.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 08:17 AM

Maastricht is lovely, and it is his hometown.
We've stayed at Chateau St Gerlach a few year ago - very nice hotel. Valkenburg is close, and has lots of hotels - a nice town to visit too.
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that last message meant to say "where would be a nice close place to stay to the west of Maastricht"?
Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

So at the moment I'm looking at staying near the train station in Valkenburg and getting the train to Maastricht. Just waiting for the go ahead from that my parents want are up for it! Excited