Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andermatt: A New Swiss Hotspot a La Zermatt, St Moritz, Davos, Berner Oberland? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andermatt-a-new-swiss-hotspot-a-la-zermatt-st-moritz-davos-berner-oberland-638371/)

PalQ Aug 11th, 2006 06:55 AM

Andermatt: A New Swiss Hotspot a La Zermatt, St Moritz, Davos, Berner Oberland?

A NYT article today describes an ambitious transformation about to take place in Andermatt, Switzerland that could propel it into the elite status of top Swiss resorts like Davos, St Moritz, Zermatt, etc.
Currently the samllish town of 1,400 residents, traditionally a military bastion, is losing its vibrancy because the military is largely pulling out. Traditionally the town lived off the huge military base near town and its several hundred soldiers who filled the town's pubs and hotels.
The area became a military bastion after two world wars and the Cold War caused the Swiss to construct barracks, storerooms and bunkers inside nearby mountains - all the serve as a potential refuge in case of an invasion. With the Cold War gone much of the reason for these installations has disappeared and the military packing up.
But a White Knight has ridden into Andermatt to save the day - one of Egypt's richest men, Samih Sawiris is planning to invest as much as $500 million and the whole project could attract much more capital.
Plans are to create a collection of upscale hotels run by international chains on abandoned military fields - and providing every possible creature comfort and a golf course that Sawiris says will be the finest in the Alps.
So Andermatt, today a quiet town with the military gone may well become the next Davos or St Moritz.
What do you think Stella?

PalQ Aug 11th, 2006 07:08 AM

Author: Stellarossa
Date: 08/09/2006, 12:52 pm
I'm guessing it's a real slow day in the cubelife of palq, right?

Just had to post something, anything so people knew you were still around?

No one cares.

PalQ Aug 14th, 2006 06:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: julia_t
Date: 08/09/2006, 02:10 pm
Another vote for Leamington Spa or Warwick, failing either of those, consider Solihull or possibly Rugby.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Eric_S
Date: 08/09/2006, 02:48 pm
Kert, Stellarossa, Julia, thanks for the input. I've done a bit of wikipedia research and Leamington Spa / Warwick indeed sound like good options. I wonder if you can answer some more questions. How bad is traffic? (I'll be working in south Coventry, near U of Warwick). Is life in Leamington Spa dominated by students? (I'm in my mid-30s)

Author: PalQ
Date: 08/09/2006, 03:20 pm

Date: 08/09/2006, 03:22 pm
Life in Leaming Spa is dominated by the geriactic folks living there in retirement homes. Warwick is a very quiet town - younger folk i think will be happier in Coventry and its university influence. I stayed in Coventry a few nights and found it rather nice, in spite of the dour concrete mass of the town center. If looking for quaint older looking towns Warwick and Leamington Spa - more youthful and vibrant Coventry.

Author: Kert
Date: 08/09/2006, 04:02 pm
Geriatric? That's not the Leamington Spa I know. It has quite a young sophiticate(ish)night scene, which I should thing would be a good fit for someone in their 30's. There are a lot of new bars and restaurants and the coffee shop scene has really taken off.
The car jouney to south Covetry is fine, about 15 minutes from the centre of Leamington.
Also consider Warwick, as the two towns are more or less joined up.

Author: Eric_S
Date: 08/09/2006, 05:13 pm
quite a contrast of opinions here, geriatric vs young sophisticate-ish...
I was under the impression that many people working at U of Warwick live in Leamington?

Date: 08/09/2006, 05:26 pm
I'll have to admit it was a long time ago i was in Leamington Spa and that's what it seemed like but i defer to your more recent observations.

Date: 08/10/2006, 08:26 am
Hehe, palq quotes from their 'european tour: 1976' journal once again.

Leamington will suit you just fine, Eric.

Date: 08/10/2006, 01:21 pm
Stellarosa: this time you have a valid point.

Date: 08/10/2006, 01:42 pm
Date: 08/09/2006, 12:52 pm
I'm guessing it's a real slow day in the cubelife of palq, right?

Just had to post something, anything so people knew you were still around?

Flash your lights. Don't flash your lights. Do you ask people what you should eat for dinner each day? You sound like those sad people who call into Dr Laura and ask things like 'I am my mother's son, am I morally obligated to go to dinner with my husband's wife because the last Christmas but one she left my name off her christmas card?'

No one cares.

Date: 08/10/2006, 01:44 pm

So to stop you being bored, we have to endure your banal postings on whatever pops into your head. Yeah, thanks for that.

Dukey Aug 14th, 2006 07:41 AM

Pal, have you ever been to Andermatt?

I thought those barracks and so forth were located somewhat above the town itself (but I could be wrong).

Did you get any information about positioning (I assume not)? The views would be spectacular from the hotels.

PalQ Aug 14th, 2006 07:43 AM

Dukey - yes i have been to Andermatt several times but only to change trains - i did walk around a bit once but have little recollection of the barracks, etc.
I'll scan the article i took this from as there were more details in it and see.