Andalusian town for a month in February

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a 60 ish couple in the early stages of considering spending a month in Andalusia and are looking for ideas of location. So far it seems to me that we would like a medium sized town in Cadiz or Malage province. We would prefer somewhere not populated primarily by English speakers, as part of the plan is to work on our Spanish. We know February is not warm but understand that nearer the coast may be warmer. We would use a rental apartment as a base for exploring the area but really want primarily to have the experience of life in the town where we are located. So far Vejer appeals but we are open to any and all thoughts and suggestions. Any of your own experiences, resources for rentals, stories, cautions, etc much appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi jubilada,

I would suggest seriously looking at Malaga itself. it has great connections to the rest of the area, and seemed very spanish to us, albeit on a short stay.

local fodorite josele may have some better ideas, but that's where I'd start.

great idea BTW.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Malaga is interesting and maybe we would do one week there, but we really want to live in a smaller town.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM

Check out Comares for a really small town near the good weather of the Costa del Sol.I have also heard good things about Lake Vinuela area but have not been there. In warmer weather I would recommend Vejer but Feb. might not be too nice on the Atlantic coast. Most of the Costa del Sol is horrendous concrete resort developments where it feels like most people speak English. Some people like Nerja. I do like the city of Malaga itself.
Old Feb 27th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Comares sounds lovely but I think too small. I think we need a town of at least 8000.