Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalusia? South of France? Which is better with Barcelona?

Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Well, have been back from trip to Italy over a month (still working on report!) and am already thinking about where to go next. Looking at a 10 day vacation (excluding travel days so 12 really) and want to go to Barcelona in mid to late May 2004.

After spending a decent amount of time doing intital research it appears this is a tough city to include with others in a 10 day trip. We were thinking about 3 days in Barcelona and then 7 in Andalusia (flying to Granada or Seville with Ronda/Arcos in between) or continuing on from barcelona to the South of France.

We are in our late twenties and in generally good shape. We do not like to do 1 night stops unless they are short, but we do find that we get bored of a place after a few days. We like seeing interesting museums (prefer modern art thus barcelona), and local attractions, love walking streets and popping into shops. Would also like to take a day or two in an easy-going town or beach. Driving a few hours here and there is not a problem.

Questions
1) For those of you who have done Andalusia and Barcelona in the same trip, first is it feasible and also is 10 days enough? (keeping in mind we're excluding Madrid) How would you allocate your time in Andalusia? Would 4 days barcelona/costa brava and 6 in granada/seville/ronda be preferable to 2 barcelona and 8 in andalusia including a stop in the costa del sol.

2) Assuming travel in May, I am assuming that Spain is very nice weather-wise. Are the Costa del Sol resorts "emptier" at that time or are they overrun at that time as well? What about on Costa Brava?

2) How far is Barcelona time-wise from Provence or cote d' azur? (I have looked at a map, but distance versus time involved). Would it be wise to take a flight from barecelona to nice or marseilles to cut down travel time?

3) Which itinerary would you choose based on interests provided?

Sorry for the lengthy post and hope that it is not deemed as asking for someone to plan my trip as opposed to doing research myself.
Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:02 PM

1) I have been to Barcelona, the Andalucia region, and Southern France. I enjoyed Spain a lot, especially Barcelona and the museums in Madrid. The Andalucia had some very interesting history, sights, and attractions, but it didn't have the same effect on me as Provence/Cote d'Azur. There was just something different in S. France than in Spain...maybe it was the food, the outdoor markets, the scenery, or the color of the sky...

I would spend 3 days in Barcelona (to see all the Gaudi architecture, the other attractions/sights, and to shop). After Spain, head to Southern France. Spend the rest of your vacation travelling to Provence and Cote d'Azur.

2) I don't know.

3) Since you don't have much time, I would fly to Marseilles.

If you have any other questions, just ask...

Sep 22nd, 2003, 09:56 PM

Last year we went to all of the places you mentioned and are going back to Spain in Nov. But we've been to So. France several times and love it, and only have been to Spain once before, so we're more inclined to return there now. In your case, I'd say that from what you're saying, So. France, especially around Nice might be best for you--lots of modern art there--Contemporary Art Museum, Glass Museum in Biot, Picasso Musuem in Antibes, Fondation Maeght, Chagall Musuem, Matisse Museum etc. Suggest you fly into Nice rather than Marseilles.

Also, if you love modern art, make sure you get to the Miro Museum in Barcelona...great to catch the sunset from there. Also, the Gaudi architecture is amazing.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses so far. anybody else done these routes?
Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:21 AM

Sure--more than once.
IMHO, Barcelona fits best with the south of France. Barcelona, Costa Brava,
then Provence--perhaps flying home from Nice. Madrid plus Andaludia is 10 days alone. Both are great trips--just do not mix them.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 10:22 AM

I think Barcelona is fantastic and a place not to miss but for your travels thereafter, don't overlook the Corbières or Languedoc-Roussillon area of France which is about a 2-3 hour drive from Barcelona. The area is as beautiful as Provence but not as crowded or overrun. There are spectacular little town and the natives are very friendly people. I drove there from Barcelona last fall and had a great time day tripping, drinking great local wines, eating foie gras and visiting towns like Carcassonne, Lagrasse (one of the most beatiful villages in France) and many others and visiting the country of Andorra and then on the way back down to Barcelona visiting Collioure where Henri Mattisse was from...Check it out, it's awesome. Look at the May 2002 issue of Travel & Leisure, there's an article about it.
Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM

If you are flying in and out of Barcelona, I would think that a car trip to the Languedoc (west of the Rhône) might be the best thing. You might also want to see some of the Pyrénées and the Cathare (sp?) region. Possibly go as far north as Albi and as far west as the Cirque de Gavarnie. In other words, I second buongiorno's suggestion.