Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalusia itinerary spring 2020tels to have an elevato

Sep 11th, 2019, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

we are looking for suggestions for a 10 day trip to Andalusia next spring. We are Botha around 70 and my wife wears a prosthesis. We both get around good,but would not be doing any hicking or cycling, etc. We would like hotels to have an elevator and air conditioning. We are neither high-end nor low-end spenders.. We like seeing the sights and being around the people, taking in the culture. We are trying to avoid living out of a suitcase, so would like to explore having a home base and making day trips. We are thinking late April early May, for the weather and after the holidays.
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:09 AM

I would use Booking.com and search by your parameters. I think you will need to take the most care with Granada accommodations based on geography (hills). Sevilla and Cordoba were fairly flat in my recollection.
Do you know where you will fly in and out yet?
Car or train/bus?
Splitting equally among Sevilla, Cordoba, and Granada would be a nice start, adjusted to your interests. The first two could be combined, but I would not trade my overnight in Cordoba for anything.
Sep 11th, 2019, 07:36 AM

Cordoba is one of my favorite places in Europe. The Mezquita is a wonder, and we visited twice - it actually has a different feel in morning light vs late afternoon. Cordoba is also known for silversmithing, horsemanship, leather work, as the home of Maimonades and a center for Sephardic culture, and, perhaps most beautifully, its patios. In fact, there is a patio festival in the spring and many homes open their patios for viewing. Though there are always plenty of ways to see patios the rest of the year as well. You can stay in a hotel with a patio, just ask for a ground floor room. Right outside Cordoba there are ruins to visit, the Medina Azahara.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:21 PM
kja

As yorkshire notes, you can search booking.com for hotels with elevators, and you might also look for handicapped access. I did that for a trip I took after a serious thigh injury, and found that it was helpful to check tripadvisor reviews for any hotels that seemed possible options -- I found that some hotels have an elevator, but only after climbing a flight of stairs. (I searched the reviews for "elevator" and also for "lift" and saw that many people mentioned things like that.) I also contacted the hotels directly to make sure they would meet my needs.

Many people visit Cordoba as a day trip from Sevilla, but FWIW, I felt a bit rushed with only 2 full days there -- as both yorkshire and shelemm note, there is a LOT worth seeing there!

As a rough starting point, consider 4 days in Sevilla, 2 days in Cordoba, and 3 days in Granada. And get a good guide book, perhaps the Michelin Green Guide or the Rough Guide.

Enjoy!
Sep 12th, 2019, 05:42 AM

My favorite part of Granada is visiting the Arab Quarter. It is extensive. Best to visit in the evening for dinner. If I had my druthers, I would eat all my dinners in the Arab Quarter. Also, tapas in Granada are traditionally free. Order a drink and ask for a tapa, they will bring you one (in this case, you don't really get a choice, just whatever they serve you). So it is easy to make a meal out of a tapas crawl. The easiest place to do this is Plaza San Miguel Bajo, where there are several places surrounding this out-of-the-way tiny and picturesque placeta. Meson El Yunque is a postcard perfect vision of rustic Europe, with the menu posted on a chalkboard outside. El Aljibe is another good choice. Really, you can't go wrong, and it is generally peaceful here away from the crowds.

From your hotel, take a taxi or bus up to the mirador san nicolas in the Arab Quarter, which is a scenic overlook to the Alhmabra. Nearby, another great place to eat is El Ladrillo on Calle Panadoros (El Ladrillo has a beautiful patio). Most places don't open for dinner until dinnertime in Spain which is a lot later than anywhere else, so always check before you go. I use Google Maps for this.

As always, get your timed tickets to Alhambra well in advance as they usually sell out.

On the whole, though, I like Cordoba a lot more than Granada and prefer to spend more time there.
Sep 16th, 2019, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you

Your responses have been a big help in formulating our travel plans. Thank you very much for your insights. Also would anyone have a suggestion as to the best airport to arrive and depart?
Sep 16th, 2019, 07:09 AM

Using booking.com is a very good suggestion-I use them regularly and they have improved their accessibility search parameters quite a bit in the past year. We always book places with elevators and A/C. The one difference is that we generally do driving trips so we are also looking for parking. So some of our favorites might not be as close to the historical center or as "quaint boutique" type hotels that you might prefer. But we we liked the Eurostars Regina in Seville-it is in a neighborhood that is is close to the historical center but not right in the center of it. And it is really close to our favorite tapas restaurant Eslava. We are actually booked to go back to the Regina next April. One tip is that although I usually book exclusively on booking.com, the prices are actually better on the Eurostars site-they throw in free breakfast and free parking and still allow cancellation, so I used their site to book this year.