Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andalusia in mid-June? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andalusia-in-mid-june-379752/)

rdfarr Dec 1st, 2003 07:36 AM

Andalusia in mid-June?

Was planning a long trip to Andalusia in late May of next year to miss the hot weather and tourist crowds, but now will have to postpone it to mid-June. Is this still a good time to go?

car Dec 2nd, 2003 12:00 AM

rdfarr:
Mid June is a perfect time to go, long daylight and good weather.
It might be hot in the afternoon but not like July or August.And for sure you will miss the crowds.

nytraveler Dec 2nd, 2003 09:40 AM

That depends on what you mean by hot weather. We went in the beginning of May a couple of years ago and it was already in the 80s. Be sure your hotels have air conditioning you can control - and that your car has AC if you're renting one. Given those caveats even a specailly hot day shouldn't be a problem.

worldexplorer Dec 6th, 2003 06:21 PM

We were in Spain mid June 2003. In Seville is was 102 degrees. Because it is dry, and not humid, it was a bit more bearable than New England at those temperatures, but it felt very hot none the less. Choose hotels with pools, and if renting a car, A/C is a must!

Maribel Dec 7th, 2003 10:13 AM

rdfarr,
I agree with worldexplorer and nytraveler. Mid-June can actually be quite hot already in Andalucía, although as worldexplorer says, it's a dry heat, not sultry. I've never been in Córdoba in June when it hasn't been hot. On our last trip to Córdoba on April 21 it reached the mid-eighties.
Olga can tell you about the average temps in Seville.

Also agree about the advice regarding a/c and pools. Most all rental cars in Spain do have a/c now. We no longer need to ask because it's automatic with our rentals, at least. We rent with Avis or Europcar through the broker Auto Europe.
And particularly if traveling with children, I would choose as many hotels with pools as possible. And hotels having a/c of the very modern kind. (In the south we avoid older, unrefurbished hotels that have aging window a/c units just aren't powerful enough to cool the room down or central air that is turned off at night). All this just in case you hit a run of very hot days.

The max. average temp. in Córdoba and Seville in June is 32 C, so the guide books say.

And to beat the June crowds at the major tourist sights (not as heavy as July-Aug, but still filled with plenty of visitors), such as the Alhambra in Granada, the Mezquita in Córdoba and Seville's Alcázar, I'd get an early start to your sightseeing. We've purchased our Alhambra tickets for the very first entry slot to the Nasrid Palace secttion of the complex at 8:30 a.m. That gives you a little time for some elbow room there and some good photo ops there before the tour bus crowds arrive btwn 10-11. Seville's Alcázar opens at 9:30 (closed on Mon.). Same applies to Córdoba's Mezquita. I would be at the ticket window when it opens at 10. On our last visit in April we arrived at the very worst time in terms of crowds, right after all the bus tours had arrived at 11, and it was almost impossible to make our way up to the beautiful mihrab to take photos. Next time we'll be there earlier!

Having said all that, you may get lucky and have beautiful, milder weather in mid-June, but I'd plan for some hot days just to err on the safe side.