We are beginning to think about a Europe trip in the fall of 2015. I like to do a lot of reading and work on the language, wherever we go, hence the long time frame. At first, Dresden (some ancestors came from there eons ago) and Berlin were on the bucket list. Then magnetic forces starting pulling us down to Spain, which we have never visited. At first, it was to be Barcelona and Catalonia. Then the Mudejar Force took over and pulled us south toward Andalucia.
Herewith, our very early thoughts about this trip. Your reactions are eagerly awaited.
Us: late 60s, like to walk, love food, wine, art, architecture, history, all that stuff. Also like a chance to polish up our very rusty Mexican Spanish and try it in Iberia. What we do not like are very long plane trips with multiple changes and long layovers, and this explains some of the structure of this initial draft of the trip:
Fly Burlington, Vermont – Newark – Madrid
Train at once to Cordoba (and continue to use trains for the rest of the trip)
2 Cordoba – Mezquita, plus the awesome flamenco which judy_rosa’s excellent Fodor trip report recommended
2 Granada – Alhambra s-l-o-w-l-y both day and night
…and now we leave Andalucia for…
2 Toledo – we’re deep into El Greco, looking forward to this
2 Madrid – it’s hard for me to get a feel for Madrid, there have been so many different impressions of it on various Fodor reports. We don’t relish the idea of 7 hours in the Prado.
Leave Madrid for Newark and Burlington
We tend to go for two-night stays in a place, with a three-night stay in large cities that have many great things to see. Our attitude is: sample a few of the big things and put that city back on the bucket list for another visit.
Thanks in advance for comments, ideas, suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 2 6 days in Slovenia and Croatia in January
- 3 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 4 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 5 land vs river cruise
- 6 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 7 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 8 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 9 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 10 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 11 Scotland ideas
- 12 Tips for first trip to UK
- 13 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 14 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 15 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 16 The World's Greatest Churches
- 17 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 18 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 19 Malaga Christmas lights
- 20 Portugal
- 21 Paris November 2017
- 22 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 23 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday
- 24 London flat feedback wanted - yes, I'm going slightly crazy!
- 25 paris to london- day trip