Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Andalucia survey (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/andalucia-survey-1064113/)

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 09:01 AM

Andalucia survey

Hello everyone,

Here is a question many people often ask about their travel plans in Andalucia:

If you had to choose between Seville AND either

A. 2 nights in Cordoba,

OR

B. 2 nights in Granada,

OR

C. 1 night in each,

which would you choose.

Let the voting begin.

Andrea

nytraveler Jul 20th, 2015 09:03 AM

IMHO you need a lot more days and to stay in all 3 cities.

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 09:09 AM

Hello everyone,

Here is a question many people often ask about their travel plans in Andalucia:

If you had to choose between 3 nights in Seville AND either

A. 2 nights in Cordoba,

OR

B. 2 nights in Granada,

OR

C. 1 night in each,

which would you choose.

Let the voting begin.

Andrea

Christina Jul 20th, 2015 09:31 AM

2 nights in Cordoba.

I don't like moving around hotels for one day, and that would be two in a row, I suppose. If I"m on a road trip, that's one thing, but not a vacation.

I found the Alhambra interesting but nothing I would plan my entire vacation around to spend 2 days there. I'm not like all those folks who want to spend days at one tourist site. In fact, I liked the things I saw in Cordoba more. Otherwise, Granada is an okay town, sure, but didn't seem any better than many others. Cordoba is closer to Seville so you wouldn't spend as much time getting there, and it's right on the train line to Madrid which could be convenient for leaving. Right now, not sure how you get to Granada easily to/from Seville, actually. I thought the train line was closed or something and you had to take a bus. Not sure how you'd get there to Madrid if that were where you were leaving from.

You'll find plenty of folks on Fodors who tell people they can't even visit Granada for a day trip, that they must stay there and spend at least 2 days seeing that one place. So who knows if you will agree with that or see it more like I do. In fact, there are several things to see in Cordoba but you never heard anyone mention anything they do in Granada other than visit the Alhambra. YOu could see the cathedral and royal chapel, though, but no one ever mentions that.

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 09:45 AM

Hi Christina,

Thanks for your reply. Cordoba looks just wonderful.

Are you saying that 3 or 4 nights in Seville followed by 2 nights in Cordoba is a good plan before moving on (we have a car)?

By leaving late morning from Seville, we could get to spend a day and half and two nights in Cordoba. Do you think that is ok? It seems walking around Cordoba late into the evening to be magical.

Thanks

Bedar Jul 20th, 2015 10:14 AM

I would do one night in Cordoba and one night in Granada, if your time is so limited. You cannot be in Andalucia, in Spain for that matter, and not visit Granada. Impossible. Believe Christina took a little bus tour there from Malaga, so, of course, she doesn't know much about it. Both Cordoba and Granada are mandatory. Cut out time from other places in order to visit them. Enjoy !

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 10:28 AM

Hi Bedar,

Is 2 nights in Cordoba and 1 night in Granada ok?

We are going to be in Seville for 3 nights before Cordoba and ending in Madrid for 4 nights (after Granada).

Thanks

IMDonehere Jul 20th, 2015 10:32 AM

I abstain.

Sassafrass Jul 20th, 2015 10:35 AM

For me, hands down, extra time in Granada. Walking in the olive groves above the city and looking down at the Alhambra was magical. Also, loved the warren of tiny streets and plazas in the city center. It is one place in Spain which is on my list for a return visit. I was there 3 nights - 2 & 1/2 days.

OTOH, I would also like to re-visit Cordoba as we had only an afternoon, a night and a morning.

So, I would try to fit in both, but give the edge of the most time to Granada.

Bedar Jul 20th, 2015 10:39 AM

I would say one night in Cordoba and two in Granada.

jack333 Jul 20th, 2015 11:02 AM

I would spend the two days in Cordoba. I saw and enjoyed the Alhambra, but I found Cordoba, and its Mesquita just as interesting, and I liked the city of Cordoba more than I did Granada.

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 12:30 PM

Can I take one night away from Seville (from 4 to 3 nights) to spend 2 nights in each Cordoba and Granada? We are ending in Madrid for 4 nights (3 days).

We will be in the Extremadura region for the first 3 nights (Trujillo and Caceres) and arriving in Seville very early afternoon, giving us 2 and a half days in Seville before driving to Cordoba, arriving at noon.

Thanks.

Christina Jul 20th, 2015 01:20 PM

<<You cannot be in Andalucia, in Spain for that matter, and not visit Granada. Impossible. Believe Christina took a little bus tour there from Malaga, so, of course, she doesn't know much about it. Both Cordoba and Granada are mandatory.>>

I think you know very little about me or how much time I've spent in Spain. I also know a lot about Granada even though I did just visit the ALhambra for a day by bus. But you seem to think yours is the only proper opinion and that if anyone else doesn't feel and think exactly the way you do, they are wrong and ignorant. Nothing is mandatory nor is yours the only "correct" opinion. Different people have different ideas and different interests. That is what I said -- this is my opinion, but others felt differently and who knows which way you will feel. I didn't say my opinion is the only correct one and anyone else is wrong the way you do.

AirBalloon Jul 20th, 2015 02:42 PM

Travel is such a personal experience that nobody should assume to know what anyone else finds or should find important or worthy of their time.

Our family has been to places we found wonderful that others said were just ok and have visited places we found average that others found fantastic.

There are no musts to travel. What one finds great another may find mediocre, but that is what makes travel so amazing. We are all here to give our opinions and not to judge what another traveller finds may interesting.

lincasanova Jul 20th, 2015 03:29 PM

Cordoba day trip. Granada 2 nights

alvamo Jul 20th, 2015 03:29 PM

C. 1 night in each is ok but what do you exactly like to do when travelling, as Airballoon said what one finds great another may find mediocre so for me Cordoba is very nice place but also a bit sad, I´m spanish so I don´t find people there very open minded, also the tourits places and the city are not integrated as they are in Sevilla, Granada or Malaga.

Granada is a vibrant city full of students and them the hippies near the mirador de San Nicolas, albayzin and for sure is the best place for tapas but you have to go far away from the tourist areas to get good free tapas with the drink.

Sevilla is more posh, the capital of Andalucia, if you like art, Sevilla is the place to be, but I think sometimes is ovevalue and people miss many interested places in another parts of Andalucia just to spend many days in Seville when they could go somewhere else like Cadiz, Malaga, Ronda or Almeria. Just my opinion and my personal experience as a spanish person living in Andalucia.

Bedar Jul 20th, 2015 04:07 PM

Tsk, Christina. On this forum you always discourage people from visiting Granada which, in your opinion, is only so-so. There are people here who are Spain experts; you have spent some time there, yes, but not so much. People post here who have limited time for their trips. Granada (and Cordoba) are iconic stops on a trip to Spain. If possible, visitors should try to squeeze in both.

@Lin - Right on, one night in Cordoba, two in Granada.

@alvamo - Yes, I agree that Seville is somewhat overrated (as is Barcelona) but people should see as much as they can in their limited time.

aliced Jul 20th, 2015 04:21 PM

Hmm, with travelling to Barcelona, Madrid, Cordoba, Seville, Arcos, Ronda, Granada, and Marbella, my least favorite places were Madrid and Granada. Yes, glad we got to see the Alhambra but did not care for Granada at all. Period. Favorites were Barcelona, Seville, Ronda & Marbella. Don't know how you can get from Seville all the way over to Granada for one-night and see the Alhambra, but if you can, great. But Cordoba definitely at least one night. Perhaps you can skim one night off Madrid? Hey, we only had a three-week trip and covered lots of day trips, but to each his own.

nytraveler Jul 20th, 2015 05:41 PM

Well I;m not a fan of Madrid. I think 2 days there is enough - one day trip to Toledo and one to see the Royal Palace and the Prado.

then you will have more time for Andalusia which IMHO is FAR more interesting.

We have been to Andalusia twice - once for 10 days and once for 12 and stil have a lot we want to see. We esp love Cordoba at night - walking the streets after dinner and checking out the lovely courtyards with fountains and flowering plants.

kja Jul 20th, 2015 05:45 PM

I made sure I didn't have to make that choice! :-)

I don't believe I can offer a response that would be meaningful to anyone with out knowing more about their interests, the rest of their itinerary, their pace of travel, the time of year when they will be going, etc.