Search

Andalucia itinerary in October with kids- need advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Andalucia itinerary in October with kids- need advice

Hello Fodorites-
We are a family of 4 living in Tel Aviv now, kids aged 8 and 10. We are planning a mid-October trip to Andalucia for 2 weeks. We want to take it a bit slowly, with time to do some kid-friendly things, including easy hiking.We also want to keep costs down. We fly into Madrid, and plan to rent a car. Still not sure if we'll keep the car the whole time. I have planned an itinerary that allows us to return the car in Sevilla (though I realize this adds a little backtracking by putting Cordoba first.) If we keep the car, we can switch the order.

I'd love some advice on the itinerary-- too much? any additions to suggest instead? I would also love to get recommendations on accommodations.

I plan to find an apt. in Seville. The parador in Cremona looks amazing, but I don't think we will have time.

We also wanted a few days in the countryside. The farm at Cinco Lunas that I read about here sounds great, but it is full those weeks, but the owner suggested another house nearby.

DAY 1 Sunday- Arrive Madrid 11 am. (early morning charter flight from Tel Aviv) Rent car at the airport, drive to Toledo. overnite in Toledo
DAY 2 Monday- Morning in Toledo—drive to Cordoba, stopping at Consegua (overnite Cordoba - _________)
DAY 3 Tuesday- Cordoba (overnite Cordoba - _________)
DAY 4 Wed-. Drive to Granada- nite tour of Alhambra (overnite Granada- _____)
DAY 5 Thurs- Granada- Alhambra
DAY 6 Friday- Drive to Zahara- Ronda (overnite near Cinco Lunas)
DAY 7 Saturday- Zahara- hiking (overnite near Cinco Lunas)
DAY 8 Sunday- Ronda area (overnite near Cinco Lunas)
DAY 9 Monday- Sevilla (overnite Sevilla- apt ) – return car
DAY 10 Tuesday- Sevilla (overnite Sevilla- apt )
DAY 11 Wednesday- Sevilla (overnite Sevilla- apt )
DAY 12 Thursday- Sevilla (overnite Sevilla- apt
DAY 13 Friday- Ave to Madrid – Prado- (Overnite Madrid)
DAY 14 Saturday- Retiro park, walk - Madrid- TLV 11 pm flight

I appreciate any tips on places to see, and moderately priced hotels/apts in Madrid, Toledo, Cordoba.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 09:24 AM

It is CARMONA, and CONSUEGRA
Please spell correctly or who knows where you may end up.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Josele, thanks for the spelling corrections!

Any other comments and recommendations would be great. I have read many of your posts and found your advice very helpful.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:02 AM

I wouldn't like to alter your itinerary, but I'll write some things for you to consider.

Indeed you are not going to need the car in Seville nor Granada. The train is really good between Madrid and Toledo, and then Madrid and Cordoba and Seville. Also between Seville and Granada, it takes 3 hours. You can do Toledo as a sidetrip from Madrid, and Cordoba as daytrip from Seville, both by fast train AVE.
Two nights in Cordoba may be too much, and the same three nights in Zahara area (where you shall need a car), in exchange you may add a night in Carmona.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Josele, thanks for the suggestion to do Cordoba as a day trip from Seville-- it makes good sense to stay longer in Seville rather than move to another hotel or apt.

As for Zahara-- I wasn't sure what you meant-- too long here too? Do you have any information on hiking in this area? Should we switch to the Alpujarras area (for a few days hiking-- and maybe stay in the El Paraje??) Or, we could forget about the hiking idea altogether and add a few days to Madrid, plus a night in CARmona.

As for the car, I think it would be the same price to keep the car longer as it would be to pay for 4 AVE tickets for Seville-Madrid, even with the estrella fares I am seeing on Renfe ..(I am not seeing what has been referred to as "web" fares--how are these noted on the Spanish site?) but parking and gas might make the difference...

My 10 year old daughter just had her first Spanish lesson in school today! Great timing.. And, she is totally psyched for chocolate and churros.

Thanks for your help!
-manu
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Zahara: I had not noticed you meant to go trekking. I believe there is a lot of that to do here, though I'm not familiar with it. Take a look at http://www.farodelsur.com/doc.php?id=50
or
http://www.andalucia.org/modulos.php...uevoidioma=spa (spanish only) .
I believe in the hotel they'll give you detailed info as it is their speciality.
Read my post here Pueblos Blancos trip for detailed information using the car.
If you can do it, do not miss a night at Carmona Parador, as it is worth.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Josele.
This is the revised itinerary:

Arr. Madrid, AVE to Sevilla

Sevilla- 5 nights (Arenal Apartment)
including a day trip to Cordoba

rent car in Seville (1 week rental)

Carmona- 1 night (Parador de Carmona)

Ronda area- 2 nights (maybe stay at Cortijo Barranco a country inn Arcos de la Frontera-- does anyone know this place? listed on Rural.Blue.
Cinco Lunas is full.
Drive through Pueblos Blancos, short hike in Grazalema area (?)
We would like to find a pictureque and moderately priced rural hotel with pool in this area. Is is still warm enough to swim in late October?

Granada- 2 nights- as much time in the Alhambra as the kids will stand! This will be the high point for me...

drive to Madrid via Jaen, Toledo, return car

Madrid - 3 nights at Hotel Adria Santa Ana (from Maribel's guide)

Any tips on country inns in Ronda Hills, and good family hotels in Granada would be appreciated.. the rest is coming together.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM

For your stay in the Pueblos Blancos area I'd recommend hotel El Fuerte Grazalema, see their website http://www.hotelfuertegrazalema.com/ingles/ where you can find trekking info. It is just off Grazalema city limits, at an even distance from any point of interest. If the pool is in the sun, you'll be able to swim. Nights are chilly in that area in October.