Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Andalucia for 9 days - Help with Itinerary

May 10th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Dave

My wife and I (both late 20's)are going to Andalucia for the first time. We are flying into Seville and plan to stay for 2 nights and also must end up in Seville on the last night to make a flight back home. The middle of our itinerary is up to us. We are thinking about visiting Cadiz, Granada and Marbella - any other suggestions. Also, not sure what the best mode of transportation would be for the middle of our trip.....any help would be greatly appreciated!

May 11th, 2001, 05:15 AM
maria

Dave,

When are you going? Summer temps will be VERY high so plan accordingly. You will love Sevilla, 3 days and nights are kind of a minimum. I have never been to Cadiz so I can't help you there. Marbella and the Costa del Sol are VERY touristy and crowded with Brits and Germans sunbathing, etc...but if a crowded beach is your thing then you will not be disappointed. Granada is wonderful also but the Alhambra can be crowded (but is definitely a place to see and marvel at), other sights are the Cathedral and the Albaicin neighborhood. Cordoba is probably worth a day stop as the Mezquita (Mosque) is one of the most astounding sights in Europe. Many travellers on this sight have also enjoyed the Pueblos Blancos, especially Arcos de la Frontera, Ronda, Zahara, Grazalema, El Bosque, etc...And two overlooked jewels located in-between Granada and Cordoba are Baeza and Ubeda as well as Jaen.

Let me know if you need more specifics. Definitely a car/driving trip to these inland areas is the way to go.

Maria

May 11th, 2001, 05:24 AM
mary lewis

My husband and I were in Andalucia in March. Seville needs two very full days - if you want to do it slower - take 3 days. I would also recommend Cordoba - we found this city very enchanting and the Mezquita quite a wonder. You can do it in one full day. We also enjoyed Granada - although you only need one day. Nerja on the Costa del Sol was also a great place - don't miss the caves. We also spent some time driving through the olive country - Jaen, Ubeda on our way from Cordoba to Granada - was quite beautiful and a little different. Finally I would not miss the Pueblos Blancos - we particularly liked Ronda. Have fun planning.

May 11th, 2001, 05:37 AM
De Anna

Dave,

I second what others have said, don't miss Ronda, and another day in Sevilla wouldn't hurt. It's a fantastic city IMHO.

Another idea -- if you like archaeology and that sort of thing -- there are some ruins of an ancient Roman city in a town not too far from Sevilla. It's called Italica. I found it pretty interesting. If you've been to Rome (which I haven't), I'm sure it doesn't begin to compare, but they do have the remains of a colleseum and a whole city. I thought it was pretty neat.

May 11th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Claudia

You may want to visit Jerez. I loved it, although we only had an afternoon there. We weren't able to go to the sherry tastings or to see the famous riding school owing to our late arrival, but we did see the Alcazar and the cathedral, which are very beautiful. After that, we relaxed at a cafe for w while before driving up to Seville, which is an hour or so away. I loved what I saw of Jerez, and fully intend to go back for a few nights someday. It's a lovely, elegant city.

If you are American, you might be especially interested in seeing La Rabida (near Huelva) the monastery where Columbus lived while drumming up support for his historic voyage. They even have a little park close by with full-size replicas of the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. It's a little hokey, but seeing those ships does give you a real appreciation of what courage it must have taken to be a sailor back then....

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you've already gotten the sense that you have a wide range of choices before you!

Oh, and I'd recommend you rent a car for the middle of your trip.

May 11th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Dave

All - thanks for the wonderful responses - your insights will make our trip even more enjoyable.

Sounds like a car is a must for the middle part of the trip - which is what I had thought, but glad to get confirmation.

Little more info on our trip----we are going the last week in June thru first week in July.

May 11th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Dave

Cordoba is a must-see in that region. The cathedral (mosque) is one of the unique churches of Europe. Stands out in my memory in the top 5. The old part of town itself is a nice strolling city.

May 11th, 2001, 07:39 AM
De Anna

Oh, and bring car sickness medicine, unless you have an iron stomach. The drive from Ronda to the coast while beautiful is very mountainous/hilly. I got rather ill -- then again, maybe it was just my husband's driving...

May 11th, 2001, 07:40 AM
De Anna

Just posted this, don't know where it went, so here it is again:

Bring car sickness medicine, unless you have an iron stomach. The drive from Ronda to the coast while beautiful is very mountainous/hilly. I got rather ill -- then again, maybe it was just my husband's driving...

May 11th, 2001, 11:50 AM
Christa

Dave,
Hi my fiance and I are going to Andalucia as well the last week of June for our honeymoon. We are having the same problems as you deciding on where to go. Ours is even a little trickier as we are flying in and out of Madrid. We are staying on the coast for 3 or 4 nights, Seville 2 nights and possibly Granada as well. I have heard so many good recommendations about Ronda so that will be a day trip for sure. We are renting a car to get around. Let me know when you decide on a final itinerary, maybe it will help us in our planning. Thanks and have fun

Jun 25th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Monic

Christa--- I hope its not to late. If you are flying into Madrid then I have a itinerary for you...I did the reverse of what i'm going to say and it was great.

Take the Ave(speed train to Seville) for 2 day or 3. Then rent a car at the train station and drive to Ronda for at least 1 night. We stayed at the Parador which was great(it may be too late to book now.) then drive down to Malaga and or the other coastal cities...Drive east and hit a coastal town called Nerja and spend one night there at least. They have these amazing caves there. Then drive up to Granada which is about 2 hours depending on how fast you drive. There you can go to the Alhambra. Make sure you buy your tickest ahead of time.

Jun 25th, 2001, 06:45 PM
wendy

hi--I have read all the other responses and I want to go back to Andalucia again!!My input would be two nights at the beginning in Seville then rent a car and drive to Cadiz(its fabulous--try to stay at the paradorfor one night--then drive to Marbella for another one nighter-then up to rhonda for the night. I was very proud of the fact that I got us safely to the parador--It is quite the driving feat but then I crashed the car going down the garage ramp --oops. Then on to Granada for two nights and train back to Seville. In any case have a fabulous time. regards, wendy

Jun 25th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Art

Christa, Definitly take the AVe train from Madrid to Seville. You could arrainge to start out early and stop in Cordoba and then on to Seville. The AVE train runs about 180 mph and is an incredable ride, so smooth, definitly worth the experiance.
Regards,
Art

Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:10 AM
bobbie

Wendy, do you have suggestions for hotels or restaurants in the other towns you stayed in?